BurningLights

BurningLights

He killed himself with his own mind
Jul 2, 2018
As the title says, looking at ..options. not to be caught, but to save my soul.

Reactions: houseofleaves, Weeping Garbage Can, BeHope and 4 others
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
No. A priest is not obligated.

But that doesn't mean a priest won't. When I go to confession, I typically go out of town, or into the city, I don't do local churches. Heed my advice and do the same, if possible.

Reactions: houseofleaves, FogFilledLife, Weeping Garbage Can and 4 others
BurningLights

BurningLights

Jul 2, 2018
Advice heeded! Just looking at options for now.
The answer I was looking for. Thank you threads.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Deafsn0w, Threads and 2 others
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
As the title says, looking at ..options. not to be caught, but to save my soul.

So many central figures in Christianity committed suicide such as Samson, hell you could argue to a point even Jesus committed suicide by cop. This notion that suicide equals hell really has no basis whatsover. Suicide damning your soul was a response to mass suicide in the Middle Ages.

Reactions: houseofleaves, FogFilledLife, Weeping Garbage Can and 6 others
BurningLights

BurningLights

Jul 2, 2018
So many central figures in Christianity committed suicide such as Samson, hell you could argue to a point even Jesus committed suicide by cop. This notion that suicide equals hell really has no basis whatsover. Suicide damning your soul was a response to mass suicide in the Middle Ages.
Indeed, its not so much that I'll be damned, its that I have come to believe my soul is...how do I put this, not worthy of an afterlife, I shall simply be discarded upon my arrival.
Who knows, maybe I have killed my soul, that I'm not sure of. I'm just weighing up my options.

Reactions: houseofleaves, Weeping Garbage Can, lv-gras and 2 others
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
It's a large risk regardless of whether or not they are obligated to.

Reactions: houseofleaves, FogFilledLife, Weeping Garbage Can and 4 others
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
Remember. When you confess, if you believe in the sacrament of confession. Penance for your actions isn't found by saying 15 Our Fathers or 15 Hail Marys.

Penance for your actions is found from within. Speaking to a priest helps get it out, and if you believe it, God will ultimately be your deliverance. But the path to that deliverance is found in how you live, not in how you die.

Romans 8:31-39

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
BurningLights

BurningLights

Jul 2, 2018
Remember. When you confess, if you believe in the sacrament of confession. Penance for your actions isn't found by saying 15 Our Fathers or 15 Hail Marys.

Penance for your actions is found from within. Speaking to a priest helps get it out, and if you believe it, God will ultimately be your deliverance. But the path to that deliverance is found in how you live, not in how you die.

Romans 8:31-39
This is what I was afraid of. And to be honest, was being very naive about being saved right before death.
I either do enough to grant my soul life again. Or accept that this is simply the end of my journey. I think the latter is the reachable choice.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
BurningLights

BurningLights

Jul 2, 2018
It's a large risk regardless of whether or not they are obligated to.
Agreed, not something I will be doing.

Thank you all.
❤️

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Virgo, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I don't even think priests are obligated to tell authorities if someone confessed to a murder.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, BurningLights and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
No they definitely shouldnt if they have faith in what they are doing.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Dor

Dor

SS village idiot
Nov 22, 2018
There was a priest here in Sweden who had information on a serial killer since the serial killer had apparently confessed to him and he didn't reveal anything just to honor the code.

Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Quoting Canon 983.1 of the Code of Canon Law, the Catechism states, "...It is a crime for a confessor in any way to betray a penitent by word or in any other manner or for any reason" (No. 2490). A priest, therefore, cannot break the seal to save his own life, to protect his good name, to refute a false accusation, to save the life of another, to aid the course of justice (like reporting a crime), or to avert a public calamity. He cannot be compelled by law to disclose a person's confession or be bound by any oath he takes, e.g. as a witness in a court trial. A priest cannot reveal the contents of a confession either directly, by repeating the substance of what has been said, or indirectly, by some sign, suggestion, or action. A Decree from the Holy Office (Nov. 18, 1682) mandated that confessors are forbidden, even where there would be no revelation direct or indirect, to make any use of the knowledge obtained in the confession that would "displease" the penitent or reveal his identity.