• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

rainwillneverstop

rainwillneverstop

Global Mod | Serious Health Hazard
Jul 12, 2022
Thread is written by @Dot, I am just the messenger due to their typing style.

Sleep is something that is a common issue for many so some information and tips have been researched online in hopes of helping some users.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, the average recommended amount of sleep needed is approx 7-9 hours.

"Studies show that a good night's sleep improves learning and problem-solving skills. Sleep also helps you pay attention, make decisions, and be creative.

Studies also show that sleep deficiency changes activity in some parts of the brain. If you're sleep deficient, you may have trouble making decisions, solving problems, controlling your emotions and behavior, and coping with change. Sleep deficiency has also been linked to depression, suicide, and risk-taking behavior"

According to further research, good amounts of sleep also have a positive physical health benefit, such as aiding systematic healing and repair, hormonal regulation, insulin and appetite regulation and general growth and development.

Sleep hygiene

Sleep hygiene is another term for healthy habits & routines which help to facilitate restful sleep.

Having a good bedtime routine both calms your mind and body in readiness for sleep and also trains/conditions your mind and body so it will automatically know to 'shut down' for sleep in future.

Such sleep hygiene tips are below - full info on each of them can be found by clicking on the link at:
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene/healthy-sleep-tips

General Tips & Bedroom Environment
  • Invest in a Better Mattress and Bedding​
  • Reserve Your Bed for Sleep and Sex Only
  • Block Out Light / Invest in an Eye-Mask​
  • Minimize Noise​
  • Set the Thermostat to 65-68F/18-20C; higher temperatures can cause nightmares for some people & too low can cause your body to shiver while sleeping​
  • Talk With a Doctor to Check for Underlying Issues​

Daytime behaviours
  • Keep Daytime Naps Around 20 Minutes
  • Get 30 Minutes of Natural Light Exposure Per Day
  • Exercise for at Least 20 Minutes Each Day
  • Limit Caffeine After 2 p.m
  • Limit Nicotine Use and Smoke Exposure
  • Manage Stress and Organise Life Admin Where Possible

Sleep routine
  • Set Your Alarm for the Same Time Each Day
  • Allow at Least Seven Hours of Sleep Into Your Schedule
  • Eat Dinner a Few Hours Before Bed
  • Be Mindful of Alcohol in the Hour Before Bedtime
  • Disconnect Devices in the Hour Before Bed​
  • Relax for 30 Minutes Before Bed​
  • Get Out of Bed After 20 Minutes if Unable to Sleep
  • Keep a Sleep Diary to Track What Helps and What Doesn't​
  • Consider Using Sleep Aids and/or Bedtime Supplements Such as Melatonin Valerian or Chamomile​

Sleep Relaxation Techniques

Some suggestions for sleep relaxation are as follows and are taken from here:

There are also apps on the market which help wth sleep by offering sleep meditations/white noise or sleep tracking or a combination of both.

Also worth considering are sleep products including but not limited to weighted blankets, eye masks, earplugs, pillow speakers for soothing noises, scented relaxation sprays and wake up lights.

Stress and sleep

Stress is also a recognised factor which impacts sleep and there is research to suggest that some people are more biologically predisposed than others to be sensitive to stress-related sleep issues.

Waking stress is often carried over into sleep so it is beneficial to manage daily stress where possible - there is related info in the Mental Health Worksheets resources thread but also a general self-kindness guide here which covers stress-mangement basics and techniques like finding emotional support and journaling before bed and eating a healthy diet.

More tailored help and support with sleep issues

For some people general sleep difficulties could be a sign of something deeper - information about symptoms, causes, and treatments of insomnia and other sleep disorders can be found here.

For emotional issues which affect sleep, therapy could be an option. There's info about different psychological therapy types on the Therapy Methods Explained thread.

There are also therapies designed to help sleep disorders such as CBTi.

CBTi

Information about CBTi can be found here but here is a basic summary taken from the Stanford Overview:

Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBTI) guides patients through a series of changes in sleep-related behaviors. The focus is on addressing the three factors that contribute to the persistence of insomnia:
  1. Conditioned arousal i.e environmental factors, thoughts and behaviours which have trained your mind and body to be aroused, stimulated or stressed, preventing quality sleep.
  2. Identifying and eliminating habits that were developed in an effort to improve sleep but have become ineffective.
  3. Reducing sleep-related worry and other sources of heightened arousal.
The therapist identifies the most relevant targets for behavior changes, and helps patients overcome obstacles to making the necessary and often difficult changes in sleep-related behaviors.

As with most therapies, it is generally better to work with a therapist where possible. If that option is not available there are free online CBTi courses which could give some assistance.​

Last edited by a moderator:
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
Thank you so much for this thread. My boyfriend and I have trouble with sleep and I didn't know about CBTi nor some of the tips mentioned.

This is a very caring resource and I appreciate you and Dot's dedication towards the community ❤

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Dot

Dot

Globl mod - Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Thank you so much for this thread. My boyfriend and I have trouble with sleep and I didn't know about CBTi nor some of the tips mentioned.

This is a very caring resource and I appreciate you and Dot's dedication towards the community ❤

Np - slf wll try 2 re-structre th/ lst of 20 s/ = mre digestble bt own concntratn = nt gr8 atm

vak

vak

🙃💕
Feb 13, 2024
Oh wooow, thank you so much! I'm trying to get my sleep schedule in order, this is super informative ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I don't know how to reserve my bed for sex, but I will try 🤔

Unreal_꒰ঌ♡໒꒱_Lover

Unreal_꒰ঌ♡໒꒱_Lover

♡an angel locked away♡
Apr 23, 2024

OoooOOOoo this seems so good and like it might actually help me keep my sleep schedule in order :D

druggedonsurvival

druggedonsurvival

Student
Feb 8, 2024
I would add that meditation before bed, if done right, can be very helpful. Body scans always seem to make me drowsy (although melatonin usually does the trick for me). Also don't drink too much of anything too close to bedtime.

Dot

Dot

Sep 26, 2021
I would add that meditation before bed, if done right, can be very helpful. Body scans always seem to make me drowsy (although melatonin usually does the trick for me). Also don't drink too much of anything too close to bedtime.

Apprci8 - alchol hs bn covrd bt slf wll add medtatns & slp relaxatn tchnques 2dy

Dot

Dot

Sep 26, 2021

Medtatns + specfc slp rlaxatn tch-nques addd

• Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain