F

foggy

Mar 1, 2022
I have received the SN. I am not going to use it yet.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sea Turtle and Burned out
G

Graytaichi

Wizard
Feb 14, 2022
If u ordered from IC its not going to work.

G

Graytaichi

Wizard
Feb 14, 2022
Are u going to ctb with it?? Ordering SN is only smallpart of the process. U nees meto,anticaid,measuring device,still a long way to go

Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle

She/Her ✨ Achieving True Peace
Aug 12, 2020
Are u going to ctb with it?? Ordering SN is only smallpart of the process. U nees meto,anticaid,measuring device,still a long way to go
But why specifically do you claim SN ordered from IC will not work?

Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle

Aug 12, 2020
Because its an food grade curing salt. U need AR grade pure SN. Curing salt added alot of preservatives .
IC lists the SN as >99% purity, and instructions state that it is to be mixed with other preservatives to be used for food curing. There's no difference between "food" and "reagent" for CTB purposes so long as the purity is acceptable. Typically "curing salt" is a mixture, but the one from IC is not. It has also passed blood tests from multiple members including myself.

Reactions: rationaltake
yeh it's all gucci

yeh it's all gucci

I only care about cats eating corn on the cob.
Mar 4, 2022
I just ordered some. I don't know if they will even ship it, or question me and cancel it. And if they do ship it, I still don't know if it will even clear customs. Fingers crossed. Also, if customs open it to check what it is, won't it be ruined once it's exposed to air?

Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle

Aug 12, 2020
I just ordered some. I don't know if they will even ship it, or question me and cancel it. And if they do ship it, I still don't know if it will even clear customs. Fingers crossed. Also, if customs open it to check what it is, won't it be ruined once it's exposed to air?
Did you order from IC? Are you in US?

If it's opened, it will be exposed likely but it does not instantly in large quantities turn into nitrate.

TheWood

TheWood

Experienced
Mar 1, 2022
due to get mine next week. I'll let you know on packaging if you haven't gotten yours yet.
dry, dark, temperature controlled area while sealed should prolong shelf life. If it's sealed, fumes should not be an issue though I don't think they should be affected unless they consume it anyways? Unsure in that.
In other posts about the shelf life of SN, several users say that if well stored it can last a very long time beyond the expiration date. Correct me if i'm wrong

Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle

Aug 12, 2020
In other posts about the shelf life of SN, several users say that if well stored it can last a very long time beyond the expiration date. Correct me if i'm wrong
I've heard a few years.. proper seals and storage. It's hard to say, oxidation happens over time and it's a lot of factors. Not a chemist by any means though. Not sure there's any well documented testing of years old SN

TheWood

TheWood

Experienced
Mar 1, 2022
@Sea Turtle therefore approximately a few years after the expiration date (if well conserved). If more time passes I think the advice is to buy it back, right? Thanks

Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle

Aug 12, 2020
@Sea Turtle therefore approximately a few years after the expiration date (if well conserved). If more time passes I think the advice is to buy it back, right? Thanks
Always better safe then sorry IMO.. can always test it but if able I'd personally replace a few years after receiving it.

Reactions: TheWood
Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle

Aug 12, 2020
Surely it's better to be sure of the validity
Of course. Personally would always test. I fear access to "fresh" SN will be harder as time passes though.

TheWood

TheWood

Experienced
Mar 1, 2022
Of course. Personally would always test. I fear access to "fresh" SN will be harder as time passes though.
Certainly the access will always be limited more. However, the very fact that it is used on a large scale by industries and not only, this could slow down the times

Reactions: Sea Turtle