Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Isn't hypothermia more deadly and faster when done in cold water?

Interesting. Do you have a post detailing how the hypothermia method may work or what not to do? I tried being outside back in November drunk with only a t-shirt lying down on cold stone hoping I would die. It was slightly above freezing. But I got bored after an hour, then walked home (still in only a t-shirt and pants). I felt good going to bed, like refreshed. What did I do wrong?
Yes, hypothermia in water is much faster. In water close to freezing point you will die in less than an hour. (I once experienced mild hypothermia while trying to cross a difficult river in Iceland back in 1976. The water had come off an ice cap, and because of the cold water I lost my strength very quickly and was soon in difficulties. I was on a rope, because we knew the river was dangerous, so I wasn't in any real danger, but my companions had to fish me out of the river and then take care of me for a while until I recovered.) But that's a different method.
The way people usually die accidentally of hypothermia in the wilds is by doing a challenging hike, or trying to climb a mountain, in bad weather without top quality clothing suitable for those conditions. Standing around waiting to die probably won't work, for the reasons you discovered. Standing around in the cold, getting bored, isn't much fun. If it was slightly above freezing, but calm air and no rain, and you were young and fit, you wouldn't come to much harm in an hour even if you were stark naked.

Last edited:
Reactions: losing hope and Daryl72
B

buoy

Kill off the old me before I decide to kill myself
Nov 8, 2023
Thank you. As much as I want to believe that after suffering for well over thirty five years with these disabling mental illness and now facing being in the streets, well no one can convince me death isn't better. I'm exhausted from fighting to survive and even be alive.
I understand and am here for you.

Reactions: losing hope
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
Thank you. I'm so glad someone understands my pain and hopeless situation. No one here around me cares or even believes I'm really suffering. They think mental illness is not legit. and I'm lazy and stupid.

I totally relate to your struggles and feel for you. Not one single person I have spoken to in 6 years believes ctb'ing is an automatic go to hell thing. So for me its a viable option if life doesn't deliver. We look after are own in this community, hence why I love this place. There is no where that matches this place's compassion for our struggles.

Reactions: Daryl72 and Linda
D

Daryl72

Student
Mar 12, 2024
I totally relate to your struggles and feel for you. Not one single person I have spoken to in 6 years believes ctb'ing is an automatic go to hell thing. So for me its a viable option if life doesn't deliver. We look after are own in this community, hence why I love this place. There is no where that matches this place's compassion for our struggles.
Thank you
I understand and am here for you.
Thanks you, I'm glad someone understands.