TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
If you have a mental illness/mental problems you will only have 1/4 of the money as other people. If you have depression, apathy, social anxiety, suicidal thoughts, autism/aspergers, bipolar etc. then there is a good chance you will only have 1/3 or 1/4 of the income as other healthy people because you will be stuck on welfare, and why? Because of reasons completely out of your control.

I get 834$ on welfare that is 1/3 or 1/4 of what the friends I used to have gets but they are healthy both mentally and physically and I am neither on this kind of money I will have 230$ for food a month and no money for necesities like my medicine, razors (forshaving), clothes, haircuts.

Doomed to such a low income because of problems out of my control is so unfair, I will never be able to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle with basic necesities like shopping for clothes or going on vacation, to live life you need money in today´s modern world and I have none. My PC is even 7 years old and can´t run any current or new games on minimum requirements not that I would be able to afford them anyways and I don´t have a TV and can´t afford the channels anyways if I had one .

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: NoDream, AutumnEmbers, Crematedashes and 5 others
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Yea welfare is not a substitute for actual charity, but the state purposely wants to keep you dependent and at bare minimum sustenance so u can never move up or out of poverty. It's designed this way. I'm not on welfare but I still feel like I'm at barely subsistence level existence. The gov has inflated the currency so bad that it's lost it's value. So even if u make what seems like a lot does not go far at all.

Reactions: throwaway123
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Yea welfare is not a substitute for actual charity, but the state purposely wants to keep you dependent and at bare minimum sustenance so u can never move up or out of poverty. It's designed this way. I'm not on welfare but I still feel like I'm at barely subsistence level existence. The gov has inflated the currency so bad that it's lost it's value. So even if u make what seems like a lot does not go far at all.
A guy like me should be able to get an early pension because I literally can´t work not mentally or physically but I am put in the category as other none workers, and in Denmark on "welfare" you are forced to work for it so if I don´t accept a job in a few months while I stall them they will cut me off, no one is getting anything for free we are forced to work even people who cannot.

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: AutumnEmbers, Rukia and Final Escape
S

sólstafir

Experienced
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah, serious mental health issues destroyed me in every way possible. At the same time when others where starting their life in their early twenties, I had a "career" in hospitalizations. Ha. It makes me bitter quite often. I relate to you and I'm sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: AutumnEmbers, TheGoodGuy, Rukia and 1 other person
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Yeah, serious mental health issues destroyed me in every way possible.
And it´s so unfair because mental illness or mental problems are completely out of our control, yet we have to suffer from that and on top of our hard battles with our mind we have to be punished even more by only having 1/4th the income as everyone else which means no money for copes.

Reactions: AutumnEmbers
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I'm in the US and ever since I applied for SSI for my mental conditions (Aspergers, anxiety, and depression), I was denied and had to appeal. Then I was denied again and then only a month or so ago, I was given a hearing date. Even then, I don't know if I will get approved for benefits. Yeah, having mental illnesses or problems really sucks and I often wish that I was never born with such a dreadful condition.

Reactions: NoDream and TheGoodGuy
S

sólstafir

Experienced
Nov 1, 2018
And it´s so unfair because mental illness or mental problems are completely out of our control, yet we have to suffer from that and on top of our hard battles with our mind we have to be punished even more by only having 1/4th the income as everyone else which means no money for copes.

Our adversity in life.

Reactions: TheGoodGuy
T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
Just about any mental ill, if severe enough, can be totally disabling. I've been disabled by social phobia for a lifetime. It has prevented me for working for the last 24 years. I know the folks around here are mighty fucked up, but I strongly suspect that nobody else here has gone a quarter century without doing any work or school. Now you might think I have lots of time for a great life since I am free all day every day due to a total lack of work. Well, when you're disabled by social phobia, you sure won't be going places or doing things as most places & things involve those people who scare that crap out of you. You also won't be on FaceBook as you don't have any friends, and we've already established that I don't do anything or go anywhere so what the fuck am I going to post to FaceBook?

Now you might think that I'd be calm since I basically spend all my time hidden away at home alone, but you'd be wrong. It's not just social stuff that terrifies me. I also have generalized anxiety where damn near everything can cause me worry endlessly.

• Hugs
Reactions: sólstafir and TheGoodGuy
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
I agree those who really can't work because of circumstances beyond their control should be provided for and not at a mere subsistence level. If they expect you to work under your circumstances they should at least provide work that is suitable for you.

My experience with depression is that being alone with nothing useful to do is hell. Working is a big plus even on bad days since it provides a decent income, a meaningful way to spend time (no rumination on the futility of life and the appeal of death) and it forces you to interact with others.

I don't know your precise circumstances but I would contact the government agency in charge of providing you with an income, ask for a meeting and explain your situation as clearly as you possibly can. Include documents by your doctor, psychologist, therapist... Tell them you're perfectly willing to work but it's difficult for you and explain why. You must show willingness and being pro-active is probably a good thing.

When I was unemployed they offered therapy by a psychologist for free: I really should have taken that opportunity.