S

saadjazz

Mar 16, 2022
It's like there is something about life that everyone learned while growing and that I missed. It's something about communication and human interactions. I can't even explain myself clearly.

• Hugs
Reactions: DontTouchMeImFamous, redmunk, mi_ba_ and 8 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I relate. There are things that people know that I don't know

• Hugs
Reactions: fleetingnight, saadjazz and dr18
dr18

dr18

Jul 20, 2024
I feel the exact same. People have some sort of secret language I never had a chance to understand or learn.

• Hugs
Reactions: divinemistress36, fleetingnight, saadjazz and 2 others
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
Can relate... Over 50 and still feel the same way. Like everyone seems to know what's going on and I remain clueless.

However, I've come to realize that this is a relatively common feeling and I am truly not alone. I dealt with by forcing myself to ignore these feelings and pretend everything is OK. I still do to some degree, but wouldn't recommend this approach.

If possible, try to be the person that asks the dumb question. You'd be surprised how many people will breath a sigh of relief because they didn't know and were afraid to ask. Be the person that says hello. Doesn't have to be to everyone, start with people your more comfortable with. (Not sure how old you are, but older people are a safe place to start.)

I recognize that none of this is easy. Hopefully, you can find a little peace in known that you aren't alone with this either. šŸ«‚

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: fleetingnight, saadjazz and dr18
Sunset Limited

Sunset Limited

I believe in Sunset Limited
Jul 29, 2019
Same here. When I was 14-15 years old, Isaw just slaves around. They must be unhappy in such a world, but they were laughing. They looked professional, as if they were living their second or third lives. I thought the problem was me. I was an outsider, outside the norms. I thought they were very wise and I was a rookie who needed to learn more. I realized too late that they were empty inside, that they were just copies of each other. There was nothing to learn from them. Even in the worst conditions, their brains tell them "you are happy". I thought there was wisdom under this happiness and strong appearance.

They walk around with smiling masks and play the strong. Now I know what they don't know, but they don't need my shit. In one way or another, I walked my own path. I didn't become a slave, I didn't obey the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: saadjazz
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
I relate. A recent analogy I've used is like being asked multiple choice questions but not being given the options, so having to stab in the dark and risk being wildly wrong when others seem to have an idea of possible answers they expect. Thought I was getting on grand enough until recent years when things have fallen apart more. Its led to me staying more hidden/isolated - sticking to seasonal/short term jobs/areas where it is common to not get to know others too closely. Everything's kept more distanced/simplified.

fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
Me too... I hate that feeling. People have told me I have no common sense, which might be true, but I don't understand how and when everyone else got it, when I missed out.

hopemeetshopeless

hopemeetshopeless

Sep 20, 2024
I feel that. Every time I try to hang out with people I feel too much anxiety to interact. Then when I'm alone I get depressed and lonely. And the cycle repeats over and over. All my jokes bomb. No one understands me or my sense of humor. I creep people out. I feel like every word I say people respond with a facial expression like I just dropped a turd in their drink.

Reactions: saadjazz, divinemistress36 and redmunk
N

NoPoint2Life

Why is this so hard?
Aug 31, 2024
Very relatable.definitely never learned how to socialize. I probably have no common sense either. But even though I did OK in school, I always feel like an idiot. I can't watch dramas on TV because I always get lost in the plot. Same with pretty much every movie. I don't recognize a new character if they look the slightest bit different in another scene I don't recognize people irl I have only met Once or twice Which has made for some close calls of me being really embarrassed. I always say I'm not wired right.

L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
those who are able to balance their work and social life and not get burnt out are micro-geniuses to me