Pen>Sword

Pen>Sword

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Jan 13, 2021
I'm going to kill myself in the near future. Nursing school is hard. The slightest mistake can be fatal. I want to quit, but my family won't let me. If you're wondering why nursing school isn't for me, here are the reasons why:

• My anxiety is high
  • I'm slow in comprehension and action. I forget a lot.
  • Sensitive to noises, which makes me get distracted a lot.
  • I lack critical thinking.
  • All my rationales are wrong.
  • Female patients dislike me.
  • I'm socially awkward, so it's hard to connect with the patients.
  • That's not even half of it

The only thing good about nursing school to me is that there's a lot of good people that I can easily be friends with. That's it. Nursing school or nursing isn't my passion at all. I hate it.

I've unintentionally neglected my patients a lot. I look lazy and idiot in the eyes of my instructor and nurses who knows that I need frequent prompts and verbal orders. I simply forgot to do it, or I'm running behind the schedule because I'm slow AF.

I want to quit nursing, but my family won't let me. I'm heading into late 20s, and both of my parents are almost retiring. There's so much pressure.

Even if they let me quit, I don't know which career to pursue. I've never had a job that lasted 3 months because I'm terrible in everything that I do. I'm a burden to society.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, Midgardsorm, Buddha.e.c and 16 others
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I truly dislike how everyone is forced into working until retirement. Even if I manage to get a degree, doing the same thing over and over makes ctb very appealing.

I'm really sorry about how your parents are forcing you when you want to quit. Parents sometimes try to make us do things that they think will be good for our futures, but sometimes it makes things worse.

I really do dislike it when teachers call students lazy because they don't get a concept or idea. It makes struggling students feel stupid and decreases their motivation to even try anymore.

I can absolutely understand why you want to quit given your reasons, I would hate to constantly feel awkward around patients and paranoid that they hate me.

The pressure to be considered successful on society is toxic imo. Not everyone wants the same type of life, and being called useless or lazy doesn't help.

I don't ever have a stable job because I just quit. I don't want to work all my life just to survive.

I guess you must be feeling stuck and feel like there is no escape, well at least I do. Sorry that you are in this position, I really hope that you find a way to feel better, whatever it may be.

Reactions: Crazy4u, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, LastLoveLetter and 4 others
H

hatedanddestroyed

Feb 9, 2022
Have you ever considered what you actually want as an occupation? I tried nursing awhile ago but 1.) my ex made me quit 2.) My thinking was more of a doctor (per the instructor).
I got broken into a few years ago- then called for a security system. They offered me a job on the spot and now I make more than I would have as a nurse.
Sometimes the ideal job comes out of nowhere.
Also, if you like chatting, look into a psyche rotation.

Reactions: Somber and Pen>Sword
angiegirl30

angiegirl30

Student
Jan 20, 2022
I'm sorry that you are in this situation. Nursing school is tough. If it's not for you please don't continue. Your happiness and wellbeing as well as the health and safety of your patients is on the line. If you need to talk, message me anytime. I'm a former RN and would be happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: Crazy4u, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, OpheliasFlowers and 1 other person
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
How close are you to being done? Can you post on the nursing subreddit asking for advice on your options? Nursing is tough. I worked in a major city hospital and gained an immense amount of respect for the field. The nurses are the heart of the system.

I completely failed at my career path but I found this one niche that I can accomplish. Is there possibly a position in nursing that is a bit more calm than others? Nursing seems to be in high demand. A lot of people are bowing out of the field though. Don't be too hard on yourself. I completely understand your apprehension about it all.

Reactions: Crazy4u, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, OpheliasFlowers and 1 other person
Pen>Sword

Pen>Sword

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Jan 13, 2021
I truly dislike how everyone is forced into working until retirement. Even if I manage to get a degree, doing the same thing over and over makes ctb very appealing.

I'm really sorry about how your parents are forcing you when you want to quit. Parents sometimes try to make us do things that they think will be good for our futures, but sometimes it makes things worse.

I really do dislike it when teachers call students lazy because they don't get a concept or idea. It makes struggling students feel stupid and decreases their motivation to even try anymore.

I can absolutely understand why you want to quit given your reasons, I would hate to constantly feel awkward around patients and paranoid that they hate me.

The pressure to be considered successful on society is toxic imo. Not everyone wants the same type of life, and being called useless or lazy doesn't help.

I don't ever have a stable job because I just quit. I don't want to work all my life just to survive.

I guess you must be feeling stuck and feel like there is no escape, well at least I do. Sorry that you are in this position, I really hope that you find a way to feel better, whatever it may be.
Thanks. This whole rat race is sickening. I can see why people want to die because of work. Everybody has to work just to exist, but when you want to die, they'll force you to live. When you don't work, you become homeless. I just want to stop existing with no concerns or problems.
Have you ever considered what you actually want as an occupation? I tried nursing awhile ago but 1.) my ex made me quit 2.) My thinking was more of a doctor (per the instructor).
I got broken into a few years ago- then called for a security system. They offered me a job on the spot and now I make more than I would have as a nurse.
Sometimes the ideal job comes out of nowhere.
Also, if you like chatting, look into a psyche rotation.
I have no idea what I want to do. I'm pretty stupid and I'm below intelligence. I've had my moments, but it quickly dimmed.

I've thought about trades, but it's too competitive. I'm not a competitive guy, and my resume has almost no work experience.
I'm sorry that you are in this situation. Nursing school is tough. If it's not for you please don't continue. Your happiness and wellbeing as well as the health and safety of your patients is on the line. If you need to talk, message me anytime. I'm a former RN and would be happy to answer any questions.
Thanks. It's definitely not for me. Nursing is very demanding, and sometimes unrealistic pressure are given to us.

My question is, why are you a former RN? Did you quit or retire?
How close are you to being done? Can you post on the nursing subreddit asking for advice on your options? Nursing is tough. I worked in a major city hospital and gained an immense amount of respect for the field. The nurses are the heart of the system.
I completely failed at my career path but I found this one niche that I can accomplish. Is there possibly a position in nursing that is a bit more calm than others? Nursing seems to be in high demand. A lot of people are bowing out of the field though. Don't be too hard on yourself. I completely understand your apprehension about it all.
I'm supposed to graduate in around May, but it isn't worth it because I've always have anxiety. I always misunderstood my instructor's comments, so when I rephrased it, she just scoffed and shakes her head. Imagine when I'm in the phone with the doctor and did the wrong thing or if a family gave me sets of comments or instructions, they'll rip me into pieces.

I'm subscribed to nursing subreddit, but I doubt that their advice will help me. I'm beyond repair.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees and waitingforrest
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
As a future nursing student, this is my biggest fear.

Nursing programs are often competitive, so you must not have done too bad to get into one. On top of it not being something you're passionate about, even more so. You've put in a considerable amount of effort to make it this far, and kudos to you for that.

If you're going to graduate in May, the finish line is closer than the starting point, isn't it? I understand it's tough, but if you conplete it, it'll be behind you and you'll still have the option; I believe nursing isn't necessarily limited to bedside and hospitals, though you'll need a bit of experience for other job opportunities.

I understand that it's easy to burn out with something so difficult, though. Especially if you aren't passionate about it. Regardless of what you choose, I think it's an accomplishment, rather than a failure, that you've made it this far despite everything. Best of luck.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: chronicallybroken, Pen>Sword, Crazy4u and 2 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I'm sure there is something you can do, even if it's a minor, poorly paid task. If you can't finish nursing fuck it and try something easier. But I highly recommend trying to finish if you are almost at the finish line, and try to improve your attitude and anxiety, which is likely a much worse problem than being dumb.

I actually think anxiety and self-loathing makes you dumb. It happens to me too.

Reactions: Pen>Sword
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That sounds very stressful what you are going through. Dealing with so much pressure can be awful. I'm sorry you are in this situation. I wish you the best in whatever happens.

• Hugs
Buddha.e.c

Buddha.e.c

Depressed Forever
Jan 18, 2022
I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes we spend so much time worrying and trying to please others and we forget that we are the ones who need the help the most because of the mental stress we go through on a daily. I wish nothing but the best for you .

• Love
Pen>Sword

Pen>Sword

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Jan 13, 2021
As a future nursing student, this is my biggest fear.

Nursing programs are often competitive, so you must not have done too bad to get into one.
I initially went to a private school to become an LPN. It wasn't competitive at all, in fact, the school was desperate for students. We were only 7 students in total in 1 class. That school got closed though, and I got transferred to a prestigious public school by the government by luck with no waiting list or by merit.
On top of it not being something you're passionate about, even more so. You've put in a considerable amount of effort to make it this far, and kudos to you for that.
Thank you.
If you're going to graduate in May, the finish line is closer than the starting point, isn't it? I understand it's tough, but if you conplete it, it'll be behind you and you'll still have the option; I believe nursing isn't necessarily limited to bedside and hospitals, though you'll need a bit of experience for other job opportunities.
I don't want to exert anymore effort on something that I hate. Furthermore, I don't want to exert my effort on something that's doomed to fail: my life.

I was planning to become a nurse in a retirement home because it's less busy, but I've had horrible experience on multiple retirement homes. Sure, there are plenty more of job openings from other locations, the thing is I fuck up a lot. I'm afraid some clients or patients might die because of my mistakes.
I understand that it's easy to burn out with something so difficult, though. Especially if you aren't passionate about it. Regardless of what you choose, I think it's an accomplishment, rather than a failure, that you've made it this far despite everything. Best of luck.
Thanks, I know that the finish line is there, but at least I know that I've made it this far.

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees
S

smikey23

Dec 12, 2021
my mom was a nurse. i think you are actually lucky to have failed. it is miserable work. there are other professions that are equally satisfying but wont wear you out.. :)