_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
do people really have to go through the pain and illness in order to see this world and life for what it is? or did i just have bad luck? do some people have an invisible bubble which protects them from any harm? i don't get it. or am i just cursed? it wouldn't surprise me... sorry for this rant, this pain is just too much and i cant sleep:/

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, lobster salad, Lostandlooking and 24 others
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
do people really have to go through the pain and illness in order to see this world and life for what it is? or did i just have bad luck? do some people have an invisible bubble which protects them from any harm? i don't get it. or am i just cursed? it wouldn't surprise me... sorry for this rant, this pain is just too much and i cant sleep:/
Some people were just dealt a lifelong winning hand of cards by life/fate. They got lucky. But others didn't. They got the opposite. Its never fair , usually heartbreakingly sad and always difficult to bear.
Everyone on here understands and feels your pain and frustration.
Sorry its so bad right now for you.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, lobster salad, AnonymousS and 10 others
M

MariV

Arcanist
Sep 13, 2020
indeed...thats why the buddha adressed the suffering. without suffering theres no dispassion(?). get better!!

Reactions: lobster salad, _Minsk and (deleted member)
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
Some people just have that positive mindset that allow them to view life optimistically. It doesn't mean they don't suffer at all. But there's a breaking point for any kind of person they just didn't experienced their own.

Reactions: ShornSoloists, lobster salad, Élégie and 9 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I totally relate, I can't understand people's optimism given how much suffering there has been, and continues to be. I recognise that there is beauty here, but it simply pales in magnitude to the suffering. It does not remotely justify it in my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, ShornSoloists, lobster salad and 17 others
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Yah, life is awful. If there's a God responsible for this world and this life he's an insane monster. Or she - don't wanna discriminate.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ShornSoloists, it's_all_a_game, kitee80 and 8 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I can see beauty in the world. I love vast nature, and seeing my little ones smile. I love a warm day with a cool breeze, and seeing the stars in the night sky. I love seeing when a small kindness brings joy to someone when they are feeling down.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, lobster salad, _Minsk and 6 others
kane

kane

Student
Jun 26, 2020
It's all in the perception. This world is beautiful...and horrific, cruel, and unbearable, all at the same time. People's sensitivities to suffering are set to different levels. Some can endure huge amounts and still see life as meaningful. And many do live in a protective bubble of meaning until something punctures it and exposes them to other aspects of reality. The experience of beauty is abundant for those fortunate enough to be able to enjoy it.

For me, it wasn't until that was overwhelmed by personal darkness that I could understand the desire to ctb. As long as your brain just happily keeps on generating a sense of meaning, all suffering can be compartmentalized as a price worth paying. In the moments I can forget my suffering, this world still seems stunningly beautiful.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, lobster salad, _Minsk and 10 others
S

Snowdrifts1212

Sep 16, 2020
Because some people truly do see it. I understand that, because I have too. And I still do; I have lived many moments so beautiful it still brings tears to my eyes to think about them, and I still see a lot of beauty in the world and being part of it. It's not lack of an ability to see life as beautiful that makes me want to CTB. It's that for me, being able to hold that beauty long enough to be at peace has been too elusive. I am lucky in many regards. Some people would be happy with the life I have. But I'm not, and it's as simple as that.

I don't know. I think being able to see that balance is helpful to me in making a rational decision to CTB. I'm not caught looking at only one, dark side of it. I can see both and from there make an informed decision that I'm ready to leave it. And that day is definitely getting closer.

• Love
Reactions: lobster salad, _Minsk and Valon
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
There is no justice in some people's life being SO blessed, while others are just full of suffering.

Reactions: ShornSoloists, it's_all_a_game, Élégie and 5 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Some people appreciate life more for the hurdles they've faced. I'm not one of them but there's reasons for that

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk and (deleted member)
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
do some people have an invisible bubble which protects them from any harm
I think some studies in neuropsychology have shown that most 'normal' people who don't experience depression, anxiety or other psychological problems, and who are able to have normal fulfilling (subjectively) meaningful lives do in fact live in a kind of illusory and nonrational bubble of optimism which their brain's neurochemical and hormonal makeup creates for them.

One level of explanation for this is that our remote ancestors lived in very harsh and uncompromising environments with high infant mortality, frequent periods of starvation, most deaths occurring in middle age, rudimentary shelters, many diseases etc. On average, the most (irrationally) optimistic, hopeful and positive thinking individuals would have had a higher probability of surviving and passing on their genes. The phylogenetic result from a psychological point of view is the average type of person you see today, generally happy, optimistic, able to create purpose and meaning for their individual existence, even in the face of adversity and occasional suffering.

This optimism, seeing positives and minimizing negatives, having a robust sense of self, some amount of narcissism and feelings of self-worth and pride, are neurochemical and synaptic constructs and processes modulated by neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin, endorphins and other hormones produced by the body, the levels of which are partly genetically predetermined (and partly the result of environment, which creates specific psychological phenotypes).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, justsayin, Caramelized and 11 others
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
I was watching some YT motivational video... it was about how people always want more, more money, a better job, a younger partner (jk), and the guy was basically saying "you are like this because so far everything has gone perfectly in your life, in college, work etc." He said ask yourselves what would have happened if you didn't have this and that. Basically he called them ungrateful for not appreciating what they already had and still wanted more. This type of people imo are born in rich families and their whole life path is carefully designed by their parents and they have a safety network to fall back upon if they screw it up at some point.

• Love
Reactions: facel, _Minsk, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
I don't get it either. It always brings to mind one of my favourite quotes:

"The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within this prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness."

Some people can just block out the horrors of reality I guess?

Edit: but I will say somethings do make me see the beauty in the world like videos of dogs being reunited with their owners who have been gone for a long while or deaf people hearing for the first time. I don't know, maybe I'm just a hypocrite.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: _Minsk, Élégie, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Some people lie to themselves and others and some people just got the luck of the draw while people like us got the short stick. I have quite a few people within a few degrees of me who are like that and they are fucking insufferable. They have no idea what an actual nightmare of a life some people lead. But boy can they put on the "woe is me" act when they want attention. Their mantras spit in the face of those who suffer. They are the most dismissive, positivity bursting, Facebook inspirational quote pandering, whiny "look at me" disingenuous pieces of shit and I have genuine hatred for many-if you could not tell!

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, it's_all_a_game, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
N

Naufrago

Somos o que pensamos...
Sep 24, 2021
I think some studies in neuropsychology have shown that most 'normal' people who don't experience depression, anxiety or other psychological problems, and who are able to have normal fulfilling (subjectively) meaningful lives do in fact live in a kind of illusory and nonrational bubble of optimism which their brain's neurochemical and hormonal makeup creates for them.

One level of explanation for this is that our remote ancestors lived in very harsh and uncompromising environments with high infant mortality, frequent periods of starvation, most deaths occurring in middle age, rudimentary shelters, many diseases etc. On average, the most (irrationally) optimistic, hopeful and positive thinking individuals would have had a higher probability of surviving and passing on their genes. The phylogenetic result from a psychological point of view is the average type of person you see today, generally happy, optimistic, able to create purpose and meaning for their individual existence, even in the face of adversity and occasional suffering.

This optimism, seeing positives and minimizing negatives, having a robust sense of self, some amount of narcissism and feelings of self-worth and pride, are neurochemical and synaptic constructs and processes modulated by neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin, endorphins and other hormones produced by the body, the levels of which are partly genetically predetermined (and partly the result of environment, which creates specific psychological phenotypes).
Congratulations for the post, very well explained.

orangepotato

orangepotato

Student
Mar 26, 2020
Some people get lucky and genuinely enjoy their lives.

• Aww..
Reactions: mentalhealthfighter
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
For someone to say that, then they must be delusional. They likely have not suffered much. Everything is determined by luck and chance and every individual perceives the world differently. Existence is a horrible thing as there is unlimited potential for suffering, there is no limit as to how bad life can get. I see being depressed as being perfectly rational in a world like this.

Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
I don't think it's either/or. The world, people, psychology, events, the weather etc - everything that happens is what it is. It's us as individuals and communities who assign meaning to stuff. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I love listening to it rain when I'm tucked up in bed and am warm and safe but less so when I have to go out and buy milk because I forgot to get any this morning (hashtag Muppet). The rain isn't good or bad, it's just circumstances. Someone living in a drought stricken area would celebrate if I sent them the rain clouds.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist