D

Done

Student
Jul 28, 2018
I am planning to check into a hotel when I take my N in 2 weeks. I read that studies have been done that a significant percentage of people that check into a hotel of the same state in which they live, end up commiting suicide during their stay. Hotels must know this, right? I was going to check into a hotel in NY, my ID is from NY - will they put the dots together? Keep an eye on me? Visit my room randomly to ask me stupid questions, aka assess the situation? Does anyone have any insight on this?

Reactions: lv-gras, RainAndSadness and dhk96
Sidestep

Sidestep

Student
Aug 15, 2018
Doubt it. No one's ever bat an eye when we check into hotels within our state of residence. Maybe just choose a hotel that's near an attraction if it really worries you. That way they'll just assume you traveled from another part of the state for that.

Reactions: lv-gras and Smilla
I

I will go soon

Apr 9, 2018
An airport hotel gets guests from all over so you could try those. Unless a state border is near you, I say don't worry about it too much. You'll be fine, don't forget the do not disturb sign.

D

Done

Student
Jul 28, 2018
Doubt it. No one's ever bat an eye when we check into hotels within our state of residence. Maybe just choose a hotel that's near an attraction if it really worries you. That way they'll just assume you traveled from another part of the state for that.
Well I live in NYC and I would be checking into a hotel in NYC so since we're talking about a city and not a state here, that is really suspicious, no?

Sidestep

Sidestep

Student
Aug 15, 2018
Well I live in NYC and I would be checking into a hotel in NYC so since we're talking about a city and not a state here, that is really suspicious, no?
Not really. People who lost their homes check into hotels within city all the time. I'm sure the receptionist isn't going to immediately think "suicide!!" when they see your ID. People don't like to think about stuff like that. Unless you're acting like a super emo kid I guess. If they ask just tell them that your in-laws are over and you needed some space or your bf/gf kicked you out xD. You can always just go to a love hotel if you can't shake the anxiety.

D

Done

Student
Jul 28, 2018
Not really. People who lost their homes check into hotels within city all the time. I'm sure the receptionist isn't going to immediately think "suicide!!" when they see your ID. People don't like to think about stuff like that. Unless you're acting like a super emo kid I guess. If they ask just tell them that your in-laws are over and you needed some space or your bf/gf kicked you out xD. You can always just go to a love hotel if you can't shake the anxiety.
Haha! So funny you say that! I had excuses lined up, and one of them was "I got in a fight with my boyfriend (and we live together)". Lol. The other was going to be that my apt is being fumigated/fixed, etc. And yeah I will take your word for it and not overthink this one too much and stay in a hotel. Thanks so much, @Sidestep ! :)

Reactions: lv-gras and Sidestep
StarDust

StarDust

Mage
Aug 21, 2018
N
I am planning to check into a hotel when I take my N in 2 weeks. I read that studies have been done that a significant percentage of people that check into a hotel of the same state in which they live, end up commiting suicide during their stay. Hotels must know this, right? I was going to check into a hotel in NY, my ID is from NY - will they put the dots together? Keep an eye on me? Visit my room randomly to ask me stupid questions, aka assess the situation? Does anyone have any insight on this?
No they will not....they will not care one way or the other...they are their to do a job they are barely paid min wage for. All they care about is that the room is filled and nothing more. Have no fear...just check in for a couple of days and put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door and no one will bother you at all.

Reactions: lv-gras, Smilla and Done
D

Done

Student
Jul 28, 2018
N

No they will not....they will not care one way or the other...they are their to do a job they are barely paid min wage for. All they care about is that the room is filled and nothing more. Have no fear...just check in for a couple of days and put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door and no one will bother you at all.
Thank you, @StarDust. Lol I may actually read this post again right before I walk to check in lol, to ease my worries. :)

Reactions: StarDust
StarDust

StarDust

Mage
Aug 21, 2018
Thank you, @StarDust. Lol I may actually read this post again right before I walk to check in lol, to ease my worries. :)
Honestly, do not worry I have done it before no one gives two shakes of a lambs tail about anything. At worse they make bad convo with you and ask you silly questions bc they are taught to be "friendly". Once I had someone say, "Oh I see you are from here, what brings you to our lovely hotel?" I said "My house is being tented for termites." And they are like...."Oh that is too bad but please enjoy your stay, our bar is open from 5pm till 11pm and breakfast is from 6-10am and is complimentary. Will there be anything else?"

That is the worse I ever had in all honesty, my house was not being tented for termites rather I was looking for a night away from my partner at the time but I wasn't going to tell them that.

Reactions: Done
D

Done

Student
Jul 28, 2018
Honestly, do not worry I have done it before no one gives two shakes of a lambs tail about anything. At worse they make bad convo with you and ask you silly questions bc they are taught to be "friendly". Once I had someone say, "Oh I see you are from here, what brings you to our lovely hotel?" I said "My house is being tented for termites." And they are like...."Oh that is too bad but please enjoy your stay, our bar is open from 5pm till 11pm and breakfast is from 6-10am and is complimentary. Will there be anything else?"

That is the worse I ever had in all honesty, my house was not being tented for termites rather I was looking for a night away from my partner at the time but I wasn't going to tell them that.
Haha!! This reads so funny to me for some reason! Thanks for the laugh and advice lol <3 I will definitely keep this in mind too if conversation does come up.

G

GoneSeptember2018

Student
Aug 28, 2018
So you got a specific hotel in mind already?

Reactions: lv-gras and StarDust
StarDust

StarDust

Mage
Aug 21, 2018
Haha!! This reads so funny to me for some reason! Thanks for the laugh and advice lol <3 I will definitely keep this in mind too if conversation does come up.
You are welcome!!!! I am pretty random at best but I just say whatever comes to mind. So rest assured, just tell them your house is over run with wood eating zombies and you will be grand. :D

Reactions: Done
StarDust

StarDust

Mage
Aug 21, 2018
No. Tons of hotels around, I'll just pick one within my price range when I book it next week.
Do hotels.com they have some of the best rates plus...you will save some money in case something goes badly wrong...lol

I cannot tell you how many free stays I have racked up with them over the last few years....lol (so many that I manged to get 2 months of hotels for free (minus the tax) )

Reactions: lv-gras
D

Done

Student
Jul 28, 2018
@StarDust Uh oh, don't say that lol! I have N so I'm banking on it being a sure thing but you truly never know.

And 2 months worth of hotels for free! Well damn!! Yeah I'll check them out to see their rates. Thanks! <3

L

loanedshirt

Aug 2, 2018
Do hotels.com they have some of the best rates plus...you will save some money in case something goes badly wrong...lol

I cannot tell you how many free stays I have racked up with them over the last few years....lol (so many that I manged to get 2 months of hotels for free (minus the tax) )

I love the thought of saving money still being on the mind immediately before death. There's something so beautifully depressing and telling about that.

In all likelihood the last question I'll ever ask another human on this planet is, "Do you have an AAA discount?"

Reactions: StarDust, Smilla and Sidestep
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Lots of people stay at hotels in their city for all sorts of reasons—domestic issues, home being renovated, etc.

I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: lv-gras, ScaredOfLife and Sidestep
bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
I've tried multiple times. I brought a bag with my laptop and all my suicide gear in it each time. They never bat an eye.