• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
So you called a helpline to tell them that you're going to kill yourself and then got mad when they called the cops? People who are suicidal just do it. They don't broadcast their intent to the world. The people who do that are attention-seekers.
Uh huh yeah I get it very much. I had 4 people at home and I didn't even consider telling them. Not even for a second, even though I trust them a lot. I wanted to talk to someone who doesn't know who I am, anonymously. And I didn't expect her to call the cops, not at all. She had me reveal it, not myself. I'm broken to pieces that my friends know the whole truth now, They treat me like a little kid now. I'm not allowed to spend a moment by myself. So I never ever would wish for such situation. I obviously got attention, but not the one anyone would want.
I am therefore quite offended by your words. If I were dedicated to death for real and 100% then you'd be obviously right, but I am not. The alive part of me is still fighting the dead part and the result changes every day or even every couple of hours. I'm tired and I don't deserve your words.
Come on now. You knew that she was going to report you.
Back when I was telling her what I considered, then I thought it was possible. But then for like an hour it was much better and she was very much aware of that. I didn't expect it not even 1%.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brokensaddle, Praestat_Mori, ConfusedClouds and 2 others
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Warlock
Apr 15, 2024
Absolutely true.

And if that's not bad enough, they will take away anything you have that will help you CTB and throw you into the criminal justice system too. That is why I am skeptical about folks who call those hotlines and then act shocked when they are doxed. The equivalent of someone being open and honest with the cops even after the cops rea you your rights and then getting mad that the cops use your own words to arrest you. All attention-seeking behavior.

Come on now. You knew that she was going to report you.
Not all helplines do it though always, and there are moments of desperation where someone may need someone to talk them out of what would be an impulsive ctb attempt and in good faith trust anyone who'll listen. A few weeks ago I posted here to have people comment to talk me out of an attempt where I was in desperation. I needed someone to calm me down. I posted it here though, because I knew it's a safe space where I would not be judged or ratted on since I already had a bad experience with telling a non-suicidal friend that I had thoughts of ctb. Sometimes we may think a "friend" or a hotline is a safe space in good faith. Don't underestimate a mind in a desperate moment.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brokensaddle, Praestat_Mori and dinosavr
T

thatisitguy

Jul 11, 2024
Not all helplines do it though always, and there are moments of desperation where someone may need someone to talk them out of what would be an impulsive ctb attempt and in good faith trust anyone who'll listen. A few weeks ago I posted here to have people comment to talk me out of an attempt where I was in desperation. I needed someone to calm me down. I posted it here though, because I knew it's a safe space where I would not be judged or ratted on since I already had a bad experience with telling a non-suicidal friend that I had thoughts of ctb. Sometimes we may think a "friend" or a hotline is a safe space in good faith. Don't underestimate a mind in a desperate moment.
But you didn't call a hotline. You sought to talk to people on here because it was more confidential. Those hotlines basically lie by omission when they claim to be 100% confidential. They are not and it's common sense unless you're totally ignorant or desperate for attention.

As for a desperate mind? LOL.

Last Monday, I sipped a SN cocktail at work.

This weekend, I spent $1200 this weekend on pain pills and gobbled like 20 perocets yesterday.

I am dropping another $1500 to get fentanyl for next weekend in hopes that I can finish the job.

The lengths and money that I am spending to CTB is pretty desperate. I do understand a desperate mind but I also have some common sense.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brokensaddle, Praestat_Mori, ijustwishtodie and 2 others
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Warlock
Apr 15, 2024
But you didn't call a hotline. You sought to talk to people on here because it was more confidential. Those hotlines basically lie by omission when they claim to be 100% confidential. They are not and it's common sense unless you're totally ignorant or desperate for attention.
Yeah, but before that I was totally ignorant and told a "friend" who then called the cops. I didn't know the hotlines would lie also until someone mentioned it on here, otherwise I would probably have called one at some point also. I had so much faith in humanity before too but slowly learned that "common sense" you have from bad experiences. You can't insist the OP is just seeking attention though. You don't know that for sure.

• Hugs
untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
People scream "cAlL tHe hElPlInES thEy ArE thERe fOr YoU" and then shit like this happens. I put a lot of blame on those police officers, like, what the actual fuck? Flirting with someone you know is suicidal? Why are people who are first responders, some of them, so fucking dogshit at their jobs when it comes to suicidal people? And yeah, fuck that hotline. Sure does tell the person calling them never to do it again, you know, out of fear of being humiliated and borderline sexually harassed during a vulnerable state. Fuck them all. Fuck every last one of them. I'm so sorry you were put through this, I'm angry on your behalf, even though it does very little. Shame on them, the very least, those police officers should be fired if thats true. Sorry, but not sorry, you have an expectation of decorum, so you can keep your mouths SHUT.

Edit: Read a comment that OP feels different about the situation than first posted? So ignore what I've wrote - they made it come across that they had sexual comments being thrown at them in the first post while they were in a bad state of mind. Better context would definitely help...? Cause otherwise that behavior wouldn't fly by me well at all, police shouldn't be doing that.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Brokensaddle, Praestat_Mori, SelfKill and 2 others
J

just cant

Jul 11, 2024
So my stupid ass decided to contact sos line again to get some help on my really aggressive mode towards myself. I wasn't going to attempt or anything, but I was definitely mooore and moore suicidal every minute. At first it didn't help at all but then I felt really much better and I started to calm down. I told her that and it was fine, she was happy to hear that etc.
And several minutes later I heard the sirens and the police car stopping by my apartment. Then I heard the banging on the door and a police officer yelling "open up the door or I'll call the fire department". So my friend opened the door. It was 5am, everyone woke up and the guy called my name. Everyone was shocked, I was shaking when I found out this bitch decided to rat me out even though she promised hospital was not necessary for me.
They asked many questions on what I do, what I wanted to do, why I wanted to do it. There were many inappropriate jokes and even some flirting (yuh man, i'd go with your wife, you go fuck yourself).
They told me that even though I feel better, the procedures doesn't permit them to not call the ambulance. So they did and we waited. I felt extremely uncomfortable and guilty for having woken up my friends and letting them know that I got some random lady calling the cops on me when I didn't even tell them anything. I am pathetic to the bone.
So I went with them. And again, even though they knew I felt better, they had to take me to the hospital to see a professional psychiatrist. The doctor though looked pretty much like she didn't want to live either. She asked me some of typical stupid questions and insisted on me staying in the hospital for a couple of days. I refused because today was supposed to be a good day at my place. So she let me go home, just like that, with nobody's supervision, whatsoever.
So I guess I got lucky but that was helllll a weird story and it almost felt like a movie or a dream.

Wake me up
That girl isn't a bitch for doing her job. If you call any hotline they are obligated to call authorities if they believe you are a threat to yourself and you clearly were.

You called because you wanted help and she got you help.
If you don't want help don't call anyone, don't tell anyone.

• Hmph!
Reactions: rozeske, dinosavr and GoatHerder
J

just cant

Jul 11, 2024
People scream "cAlL tHe hElPlInES thEy ArE thERe fOr YoU" and then shit like this happens. I put a lot of blame on those police officers, like, what the actual fuck? Flirting with someone you know is suicidal? Why are people who are first responders, some of them, so fucking dogshit at their jobs when it comes to suicidal people? And yeah, fuck that hotline. Sure does tell the person calling them never to do it again, you know, out of fear of being humiliated and borderline sexually harassed during a vulnerable state. Fuck them all. Fuck every last one of them. I'm so sorry you were put through this, I'm angry on your behalf, even though it does very little. Shame on them, the very least, those police officers should be fired if thats true. Sorry, but not sorry, you have an expectation of decorum, so you can keep your mouths SHUT.
Police aren't trained to deal with mental health, that's why they are so bad at it.

• Informative
Reactions: SelfKill, dinosavr and GoatHerder
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
That's their only job. That stupid 1-800-Suicide song from a few years back made everyone believing that these lines are manned by competent people that really care.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, dinosavr and GoatHerder
untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
Police aren't trained to deal with mental health, that's why they are so bad at it.

I guess it should be obvious not to make sexual comments towards a person that is suspected to be in crisis, right? Seems like common sense to me, unless it's something a person typically does without a care because they probably get away with it. No one calls them out on it. Aside from that, not knowing where this is, they should take a chapter from somewhere else and have a different response team with people going through a mental health crisis and/or people with mental health issues.

tenshi

tenshi

emotionally unavailable
Jul 6, 2024
wtf that's insane?? i'm glad they didn't force you into hospitalization, but that's genuinely so messed up and im sorry that happened to you. cops aren't even trained to deal with these kinds of issues. I've had similar experiences where I've been honest with psychiatrists/therapists and then get shipped off to residential/hospitalization completely against my will. it really sucks that reaching out for help comes with this fear of getting put somewhere against your will, which ends up dissuading mentally ill people from reaching out in the first place.

again, im so sorry this happened to you dude, but it's not attention seeking at all to want to get help !!! take it easy for the next few days and rest up; you've been thru a stressful experience 🫂🫂🫂

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Brokensaddle, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
J

just cant

Jul 11, 2024
I guess it should be obvious not to make sexual comments towards a person that is suspected to be in crisis, right? Seems like common sense to me, unless it's something a person typically does without a care because they probably get away with it. No one calls them out on it. Aside from that, not knowing where this is, they should take a chapter from somewhere else and have a different response team with people going through a mental health crisis and/or people with mental health issues.
I highly doubt that even occurred. How many suicidal people have you hit on in your life?
The poster is just angry at everything and everyone so not seeing their situation clearly at all.

Not here to be cruel but looking at things from experience.

• Hmph!
  • Aww..
Reactions: rozeske and dinosavr
failure383

failure383

Jul 2, 2024
Depending on your jurisdiction she is obligated to doing that if you explicitly tell her that you want to ctb. You got away lucky actually for not having the police drag you into a hospital against your will. I really don't understand what you thought, to get out of this.

• Hmph!
  • Aww..
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
The gaslighting on this thread needs to stop. @dinosavr did exactly what we're told is the right thing to do by an overwhelming number of organizations and groups in our society.

Groups which have resources, power and are praised and considered good-intentioned by the general public. Groups which directly state they will help you anonymously, safely, etc. and face no repercussions when these claims turn out to be lies, because the people they lied to don't have the resources, health or power to even begin fighting that.

People who haven't seen the dark side of the mental health system before have no reason to know that organizations held in such high esteem will outright lie, manipulate and hide the truth.

Some people are lucky enough to get police that are decent or professional people. Many are not. It's a well-documented fact that police harass vulnerable people at a high rate. It's frankly gross and despicable for anyone to come on to @dinosavr 's post and say they "highly doubt" she was harassed and she's "just angry at everything".

She's actually dealing with this quite well for what must have been a stressful experience. Anger is a completely normal and valid emotion after being lied to by people you're told to trust and harassed by people who are supposed to act professional.

So cut it out with the blaming and shaming.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: snow-angel, Skathon, Brokensaddle and 10 others
J

just cant

Jul 11, 2024
The gaslighting on this thread needs to stop. @dinosavr did exactly what we're told is the right thing to do by an overwhelming number of organizations and groups in our society.

Groups which have resources, power and are praised and considered good-intentioned by the general public. Groups which directly state they will help you anonymously, safely, etc. and face no repercussions when these claims turn out to be lies, because the people they lied to don't have the resources, health or power to even begin fighting that.

People who haven't seen the dark side of the mental health system before have no reason to know that organizations held in such high esteem will outright lie, manipulate and hide the truth.

Some people are lucky enough to get police that are decent or professional people. Many are not. It's a well-documented fact that police harass vulnerable people at a high rate. It's frankly gross and despicable for anyone to come on to @dinosavr 's post and say they "highly doubt" she was harassed and she's "just angry at everything".

She's actually dealing with this quite well for what must have been a stressful experience. Anger is a completely normal and valid emotion after being lied to by people you're told to trust and harassed by people who are supposed to act professional.

So cut it out with the blaming and shaming.
Have a read of the mental health act, also this organisations have protocols they legally have to follow. If the person who's just there to listen to you believes you are a harm to yourself or others they legally have to call emergency services.

I've learnt that those who call for help want to be saved, those who are actively attempting don't call or speak to anyone.

• Hmph!
  • Aww..
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
Have a read of the mental health act, also this organisations have protocols they legally have to follow. If the person who's just there to listen to you believes you are a harm to yourself or others they legally have to call emergency services.

I've learnt that those who call for help want to be saved, those who are actively attempting don't call or speak to anyone.

The term "The mental health act" I'm familiar with is relevant to the UK. Laws vary by location, and some places (like the U.S.) even have laws that vary state by state. What I've written is generalized for the societal attitudes that are common in places with major mental health systems worldwide.

You'll notice I didn't say anything about it being wrong they report it. I said it's wrong that they blatantly lie, while presenting themselves as honest and helpful organizations.

You've already had it explained by commenters and a mod that your experience isn't universal. It's well proven that having talked about suicide doesn't make someone less likely to CBT or mean they're seeking attention. That idea is one of the most cliche, oldest myths about suicide that wouldn't be out of place coming from a grandparent. And not the cool kind of grandparent.

Instead of telling OP over and over that she was just seeking attention, why not make your own thread. There, you can tell anyone on SaSu who's ever called a helpline, talked to a therapist, or asked for help in some way that they're just seeking attention. I mean, it's not like you'd only apply this to OP or only say this on other people's stories where they're already sharing about something stressful... that would be silly. So, making your own thread seems the way to go here.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Brokensaddle, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
dinosavr

dinosavr

Dec 14, 2023
That girl isn't a bitch for doing her job. If you call any hotline they are obligated to call authorities if they believe you are a threat to yourself and you clearly were.

You're right, I shouldn't have called her a bitch, she did what she believed was the right thing to do. What bothers me, again, it's her approach and dishonesty. If she told me at least a minute before they arrived, it would change the whole situation. Feeling finally calm, after god knows how many hours of a mental storm and having it brutally disrupted by the aggressive knocking on your door by the police officer is not what I could ever call help. Of course, if I were laying there with my veins open or whatever then sure, that's what I deserved. But I repeatedly assured her I was feeling way better!
And that's true either. That's why I said I don't blame them. I saw that they are trying to understand and make the whole situation a little bit more bearable either for me, for them and for my friends. It was just difficult but they were doing their best, with no doubt.
I highly doubt that even occurred. How many suicidal people have you hit on in your life?
The poster is just angry at everything and everyone so not seeing their situation clearly at all.

Not here to be cruel but looking at things from experience.
No, actually there were no sexual comments. For the context, they told me they were just about finishing their shift and going home, when they called them. A tiny bit as if they were blaming me, obviously it was a joke, at least mostly. So my sister and my friend didn't really see it as a funny joke so they told me I was the most important person for them. And the dude said that basically probably even for him lol. And that we're really beautiful (me and my twin sis) and that someone like me shouldn't be this miserable. That he'd take us to Rome (we were talking about Italy before) it's such a romantic city where I'd immediately feel better. Then he discovered my sister has a husband and he apologized to him and called it himself as "God I was hitting on a girl who's married". That's the only reason why I considered it as a flirt.
Depending on your jurisdiction she is obligated to doing that if you explicitly tell her that you want to ctb. You got away lucky actually for not having the police drag you into a hospital against your will. I really don't understand what you thought, to get out of this.
I also explicitly told her she helped me a lot and that I don't want to hurt myself anymore. That's what I thought would save me from the hospital.

As I've mentioned here and in all of my posts from this year, I am constantly being tormented by my suicidal part and recovery seeking part. In moments like this the battle becomes a nightmare and I'm obviously losing my mind, I don't know what to do. I want help and I don't want it at all in the very same moment. I know it looks like I'm a total hypocrite and that's true. But the world isn't black and white after all.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
J

just cant

Jul 11, 2024
The term "The mental health act" I'm familiar with is relevant to the UK. Laws vary by location, and some places (like the U.S.) even have laws that vary state by state. What I've written is generalized for the societal attitudes that are common in places with major mental health systems worldwide.

You'll notice I didn't say anything about it being wrong they report it. I said it's wrong that they blatantly lie, while presenting themselves as honest and helpful organizations.

You've already had it explained by commenters and a mod that your experience isn't universal. It's well proven that having talked about suicide doesn't make someone less likely to CBT or mean they're seeking attention. That idea is one of the most cliche, oldest myths about suicide that wouldn't be out of place coming from a grandparent. And not the cool kind of grandparent.

Instead of telling OP over and over that she was just seeking attention, why not make your own thread. There, you can tell anyone on SaSu who's ever called a helpline, talked to a therapist, or asked for help in some way that they're just seeking attention. I mean, it's not like you'd only apply this to OP or only say this on other people's stories where they're already sharing about something stressful... that would be silly. So, making your own thread seems the way to go here.
So far I've only seen 2 posts where people are complaining about helplines calling emergency services. Just explaining how they operate and all operate very similarly across the world. The volunteers who man the phones don't owe callers anything, they are there to listen and act if THEY deem needed.

Again only sharing information for those who don't seem to realise how these organisation are legally meant to operate and what they say.

Just reading the op's numerous posts I'm very worried about their welfare, not that I think they'll hurt themselves at all just in need of help when they are ready.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Brokensaddle, SelfKill and rozeske
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
@just cant what's your problem!? Why are you even on this site? You seem to be new to the site or to the concept of suicidality in general but you need to ease down on the making people feel bad and trying to get a rise out of them everywhere before you get your ass banned.

• Hugs
Reactions: not_actually_human, Whale_bones, Brokensaddle and 3 others
J

just cant

Jul 11, 2024
@just cant what's your problem!? Why are you even on this site? You seem to be new to the site or to the concept of suicidality in general but you need to ease down on the making people feel bad and trying to get a rise out of them everywhere before you get your ass banned.
You're the one who went on the attack. You seem to do that a lot.
Why do you think people are here… just because I'm attempting to ctb doesn't mean I'm not thinking crystal clear. If you don't like facts or information then if you can hit block id suggest you do it because I'm not interested in playing games. Hopefully you're successful with whatever your outcome is for being here.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
You're the one who went on the attack. You seem to do that a lot.
Why do you think people are here… just because I'm attempting to ctb doesn't mean I'm not thinking crystal clear. If you don't like facts or information then if you can hit block id suggest you do it because I'm not interested in playing games. Hopefully you're successful with whatever your outcome is for being here.
That is exactly what I am saying. Take it easy, take your time to see how the interactions on this site are generally like and learn to be considerate before you go off shaming users for "telling" or wishing suicidals success on their suicide. And no I will not block or ignore, I will say when there is nonsense and arrogance.

• Hmph!
Reactions: not_actually_human, Whale_bones, Brokensaddle and 3 others
Redleaf1992

Redleaf1992

Just leave us the f*ck alone!
Feb 3, 2024
Nothing wrong with contacting a helpline. They may not be able to help much but sometimes having someone to vent helps. I've never plucked the courage to call the Samaritans (although I have emailed), but many times have wanted to and confidentiality is very important in feeling comfortable for that.

Not everyone on here has to hate life and think death is then only thing they dream off. I would much rather live happily than pass away, but I battle with life circumstances that make me want to CTB. I would beg for anyone that could help solve my predicament (but feel that its not possible), that doesnt make my feeling any less real or severe, I imagine op feels similiar with her battle.

You can call any form of help attention seeking, cos that what help is about - getting help from others. You would have to call going to therapy etc attention seeking also, and then we are just borderline pro-death.

OP I'm sorry that happened, we should have the right to somewhere to vent without being attacked for it.

• Love
Reactions: Whale_bones, Brokensaddle, Lostandlooking and 3 others
dinosavr

dinosavr

Dec 14, 2023
Honestly I think @just cant is a little right to try and look at with a wider perspective.. As here I was clearly offended by what they did and maybe it actually was what I should've expected. And even though I didn't, it's my fault only that I omitted the whole idea of hell seeking institutions.
Nothing wrong with contacting a helpline. They may not be able to help much but sometimes having someone to vent helps. I've never plucked the courage to call the Samaritans (although I have emailed), but many times have wanted to and confidentiality is very important in feeling comfortable for that.

Not everyone on here has to hate life and think death is then only thing they dream off. I would much rather live happily than pass away, but I battle with life circumstances that make me want to CTB. I would beg for anyone that could help solve my predicament (but feel that its not possible), that doesnt make my feeling any less real or severe, I imagine op feels similiar with her battle.

You can call any form of help attention seeking, cos that what help is about - getting help from others. You would have to call going to therapy etc attention seeking also, and then we are just borderline pro-death.

OP I'm sorry that happened, we should have the right to somewhere to vent without being attacked for it.
I agree and thank you!
First of all, attention seeking is always considered as a negative thing to do, something manipulative which shouldn't be accepted.
But sometimes when you've been neglected all the time, when you've never felt your parents cared, when you've never really told anyone the truth and you keep lying all the damn time, etc, I really think seeking attention is pretty natural.

• Hugs
Reactions: just cant and Praestat_Mori
LivideLamb

LivideLamb

I'm so decaying, feeling like an ashtray
Jan 5, 2020
I'm sorry you had to go through that. Those helplines never seem to help...

• Hugs
Reactions: Brokensaddle, dinosavr and Praestat_Mori
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Honestly I think @just cant is a little right to try and look at with a wider perspective.. As here I was clearly offended by what they did and maybe it actually was what I should've expected. And even though I didn't, it's my fault only that I omitted the whole idea of hell seeking institutions.
I don't agree with the point or with the way it was being pointed out or the gaslighting. But we all have opinions and as long as they are pointed out in good faith or in a civil manner others can take it or leave it. Op was angry reacting and laugh reacting inappropriately to my old posts on other threads so added to their comment here just made me curious as to what their purpose really was on this site and wanted to ask is all.

• Aww..
  • Hmph!
Reactions: not_actually_human, just cant and dinosavr
S

SelfKill

May 7, 2024
And they don't understand why we don't tell anyone 💀

Reactions: Endless_suffering and dinosavr
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020

How is sending the police to someone's house "help?" It is following a supposed legal duty to conduct a welfare check, and nothing more. The police and paramedics in an ambulance cannot administer any sort of mental health treatment, and in most cases an evaluation at a hospital isn't going to lead to a treatment plan either. Most people are just thrown right back into their problems with no path forward.

I'm sick of seeing this argument being made in multiple threads, as someone who has had the police intervene during an attempt (not because of a helpline, but because of a friend who lied about being pro-choice) they do not offer any sort of resources or help for dealing with suicidality, neither do the paramedics, they don't do any sort of referral or address your issues, they just tell you it sounds rough and to reach out to someone. A old acquaintance of mine went to A&E because their antidepressant prescription was causing acute suicidal episodes and the staff quite literally said, "What do you want us to do about that?" They left feeling worse, because there was absolutely no help being offered. Perhaps it would be a different story if there was any help ever being offered, but in most cases it's just a show of humiliation to fulfil an obligation of duty of care to make sure someone is still alive.

I'm sorry you had this experience OP, helplines based in the USA are pretty trigger happy with this sort of thing. If you want to contact one again in the future, though it's perfectly understandable why you wouldn't given this awful experience, as Dot said the Samaritans is a much better option as it's their ethos to respect a person's choices.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Whale_bones, SelfKill and 4 others
MHCheese454

MHCheese454

Jul 14, 2024
So my stupid ass decided to contact sos line again to get some help on my really aggressive mode towards myself. I wasn't going to attempt or anything, but I was definitely mooore and moore suicidal every minute. At first it didn't help at all but then I felt really much better and I started to calm down. I told her that and it was fine, she was happy to hear that etc.
And several minutes later I heard the sirens and the police car stopping by my apartment. Then I heard the banging on the door and a police officer yelling "open up the door or I'll call the fire department". So my friend opened the door. It was 5am, everyone woke up and the guy called my name. Everyone was shocked, I was shaking when I found out this bitch decided to rat me out even though she promised hospital was not necessary for me.
They asked many questions on what I do, what I wanted to do, why I wanted to do it. There were many inappropriate jokes and even some flirting (yuh man, i'd go with your wife, you go fuck yourself).
They told me that even though I feel better, the procedures doesn't permit them to not call the ambulance. So they did and we waited. I felt extremely uncomfortable and guilty for having woken up my friends and letting them know that I got some random lady calling the cops on me when I didn't even tell them anything. I am pathetic to the bone.
So I went with them. And again, even though they knew I felt better, they had to take me to the hospital to see a professional psychiatrist. The doctor though looked pretty much like she didn't want to live either. She asked me some of typical stupid questions and insisted on me staying in the hospital for a couple of days. I refused because today was supposed to be a good day at my place. So she let me go home, just like that, with nobody's supervision, whatsoever.
So I guess I got lucky but that was helllll a weird story and it almost felt like a movie or a dream.

Wake me up
Suicide prevention hotlines are such an L.
Luckily I'm in a different place then the US, so even if I said I'm suicidal, they couldn't really do anything.

• Hugs
Reactions: dinosavr and SelfKill
Endless_suffering

Endless_suffering

I want out
Jul 12, 2024
And this is why I don't call helplines or tell my therapist anything anymore. And if I use the helpline I do it on the DuckDuckGo browser (untraceable browser) and clear the browser as soon as I'm done. They call the cops every fucking time in Utah
Guys technically @just cant is a little right in what they're saying. It's their job. Legally if they think you're going to act they have to call the cops. No matter how much we hate it. So if you're worried about that download DuckDuckGo browser and use the website to contact the helpline instead. It's untraceable. Also turn off your phone after contacting. That way they can't track it. It's what I do. Sometimes I just have to tell someone but I can't tell anybody I know. Someone I know will call the police on me. and hospitals don't help me they make me worse so I totally get not wanting to go to the hospital.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: just cant and dinosavr
needthebus

needthebus

Apr 29, 2024
don't call a su

Wake me up

don't call a suicide snitch line unless you want to be in a locked facility

you were lucky, many people just get locked up

Reactions: Skathon, Not A Fan and dinosavr
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
How is sending the police to someone's house "help?" It is following a supposed legal duty to conduct a welfare check, and nothing more. The police and paramedics in an ambulance cannot administer any sort of mental health treatment, and in most cases an evaluation at a hospital isn't going to lead to a treatment plan either. Most people are just thrown right back into their problems with no path forward.

I'm sick of seeing this argument being made in multiple threads, as someone who has had the police intervene during an attempt (not because of a helpline, but because of a friend who lied about being pro-choice) they do not offer any sort of resources or help for dealing with suicidality, neither do the paramedics, they don't do any sort of referral or address your issues, they just tell you it sounds rough and to reach out to someone. A old acquaintance of mine went to A&E because their antidepressant prescription was causing acute suicidal episodes and the staff quite literally said, "What do you want us to do about that?" They left feeling worse, because there was absolutely no help being offered. Perhaps it would be a different story if there was any help ever being offered, but in most cases it's just a show of humiliation to fulfil an obligation of duty of care to make sure someone is still alive.

I'm sorry you had this experience OP, helplines based in the USA are pretty trigger happy with this sort of thing. If you want to contact one again in the future, though it's perfectly understandable why you wouldn't given this awful experience, as Dot said the Samaritans is a much better option as it's their ethos to respect a person's choices.
The lack of empathy shown to people subjected to these coercive measures shows that their well-being was never the paramount thing. What is isn't clear.

(I know I wrote this exact thing in your other thread. But it bears repeating so repeat I shall).

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Whale_bones, dinosavr and KuriGohan&Kamehameha