• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Spectre

Spectre

I'm looking for a man in finance, trust fund, 6'5
Nov 27, 2023
If I am not mistaken, I just read something that Canada is rethinking this. They showed the statistics and felt too many people were accessing maid and now are very hesitant to take this next step. I apologize, I can't remember where I saw this but it was recent. I am not Canadian so I didn't save it.
Doesn't matter the courts say it must go forwards

Reactions: LetMeBeSad
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
While I stand by allowing such peaceful deaths, I also feel that this is Canada's way of solving problems for cheap. I mean, I find it hard to believe that it got this far out of the kindness of the hearts, seems like an ulterior motive. Doesn't matter to me, though. I want to die anyways.

Reactions: shinohara, Raindancer, TuttiFrutti and 3 others
LetMeBeSad

LetMeBeSad

Student
Sep 21, 2023
While I stand by allowing such peaceful deaths, I also feel that this is Canada's way of solving problems for cheap. I mean, I find it hard to believe that it got this far out of the kindness of the hearts, seems like an ulterior motive. Doesn't matter to me, though. I want to die anyways.

I don't know about that. I'll wait and see if they also provide funding for any requirements they might have. Like demanding we try methods of therapy or medications we have never tried.

A good EMDR trained therapist in my area goes for $180 - $250 /per hour. That's obviously only one method too. How many different treatment modalities and drug combos must I be subjected to before I'm considered untreatable. And how do I pay for all of this? There's a lot to worry about here.

Some elements of the government might look at this as a way to shed some weight though. CAMH out of Toronto posed the same questions I did above. It's obvious that the poorer segments of society will account for most of the applications.

Reactions: shinohara, Raindancer, bebebeep and 1 other person
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I don't know about that. I'll wait and see if they also provide funding for any requirements they might have. Like demanding we try methods of therapy or medications we have never tried.
Yeah, can't wait to see more. I hope I'm wrong about my skepticism, but it feels odd trusting the same people that keep me from the financial status required to seek full treatment. Sorry for the pessimism, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Reactions: Raindancer, Azraelia, bebebeep and 1 other person
LetMeBeSad

LetMeBeSad

Student
Sep 21, 2023
Yeah, can't wait to see more. I hope I'm wrong about my skepticism, but it feels odd trusting the same people that keep me from the financial status required to seek full treatment. Sorry for the pessimism, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

No apology necessary. I share your skepticism, and pessimism. This is definitely plan A if things go right. But it's definitely not my only basket.

• Hugs
Reactions: Abyssal
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022

A good EMDR trained therapist in my area goes for $180 - $250 /per hour. That's obviously only one method too. How many different treatment modalities and drug combos must I be subjected to before I'm considered untreatable. And how do I pay for all of this? There's a lot to worry about here.

Some elements of the government might look at this as a way to shed some weight though. CAMH out of Toronto posed the same questions I did above. It's obvious that the poorer segments of society will account for most of the applications.
Psychiatrists: we don't want people to CTB! Try this, this, and this!
Also psychiatrists: cash or credit?

• Yay!
Reactions: shinohara, raindrops and LetMeBeSad
J

jujujabebe

Aug 8, 2022
Maybe if suicide becomes an accessible solution and enough people utilize government-approved options, perhaps they'll try to actually get to the root of the problem and fix it, instead of trying to fix "people." We are not broken, the system is.

Reactions: TuttiFrutti, BrainShower, Azraelia and 3 others
U

unfixable

Oct 1, 2023
MAID in Canada for non terminal illnesses essentially doesn't exist, and it certainly won't exist for those with mental illnesses legal or not. The wait list for non terminal was 2 years last I checked and closed and no longer accepting new patients.

They expect you to call everyday to see if the list is open again, at which at best case will still be 2 years. Sickening. This is in a city with one of the highest number of healthcare facilities and doctors in the country. Elsewhere I can only imagine access to MAID would be even more non-existent.

• Informative
Reactions: shinohara, BrainShower and LetMeBeSad
Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023
It absolutely is our way of solving problems for cheap. There are definitely cases where people were failed because of the faulty systems in place and are irrecoverable. Probably only a proportion of those on this forum, whereas a proportion are probably fully recoverable but will die anyways.

Who is who is impossible for me to tell but I'm absolutely certain MAID laws are too strict in the current format here in Canada. I've had clients in my line of work whose sole illness was mental illness that I was certain MAID would be the best option for them.

While we wait for political systems, cultures, parents, etc. to collecticely grow up, the least we can do is put people whose physical or mental health is destroyed beyond repair out of their misery.

One day we won't need MAID for preventable illnesses. But currently we absolutely do. Anyone who dies by MAID due to a preventable illness is just a testament to what we need to change, and I hope more people start to include a written letter (honest, not angry) about what we need to change in society for people to be truly free.

I'm actually beginning to think that despite my illnesses, it's not all that bad (for me) and I may consider recovery. Or at least exhaust a few more options.

But I absolutely believe in MAID for those who have it worse than me. Or perhaps for people like myself who have exhausted all options (meds, psychedelic treatments, becoming a damn Buddhist monk and praying that I live (this is next up for me if the meds don't work)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Abyssal and LetMeBeSad
G

Grumble

Lingering
Aug 25, 2018
MAID in Canada for non terminal illnesses essentially doesn't exist, and it certainly won't exist for those with mental illnesses legal or not. The wait list for non terminal was 2 years last I checked and closed and no longer accepting new patients.

They expect you to call everyday to see if the list is open again, at which at best case will still be 2 years. Sickening. This is in a city with one of the highest number of healthcare facilities and doctors in the country. Elsewhere I can only imagine access to MAID would be even more non-existent.
Can you elaborate on this, or link to a source that does? All I can get out of Google are articles about legislative delays and debates.

This is an aspect to MAID that I hadn't even considered. This is a scary thought, to be facing a wait list for MAID, of all things.

B

baabbaabbaab

Student
Dec 12, 2023
Can you elaborate on this, or link to a source that does? All I can get out of Google are articles about legislative delays and debates.

This is an aspect to MAID that I hadn't even considered. This is a scary thought, to be facing a wait list for MAID, of all things.
Could it be that not everything is properly set up as of now ? And once the legislative stuff is in order the delay will be more reasonable ?

jbear824

jbear824

F*ck humanity. Let's end this.
Jul 4, 2023
This is the dream. Canada doing things right in this regard.

G

Grumble

Lingering
Aug 25, 2018
Could it be that not everything is properly set up as of now ? And once the legislative stuff is in order the delay will be more reasonable ?
I don't know, but the idea of MAID being wait-listed actually does make sense from a practical point of view.

As the law is written (if I recall), if a patient requests a MAID assessment, their doctor is legally obligated to refer the patient for an assessment. Doctors don't have to participate in the MAID process, but they have an obligation to make referrals.

I think it's only a minority of psychiatrists who are in support of MAID. Further to that, just because a psychiatrist supports MAID for the mentally ill doesn't mean they'll want to actually participate in the process.

Is the number of psychiatrists who are willing to participate in MAID going to be able to handle the demand from patients, while still maintaining reasonable waiting times for all involved? I haven't seen any information about this or anyone even allude to this issue at all until I saw this comment here. I'd like to hear what the government and medical experts have to say about it.

B

baabbaabbaab

Student
Dec 12, 2023
I think it's only a minority of psychiatrists who are in support of MAID. Further to that, just because a psychiatrist supports MAID for the mentally ill doesn't mean they'll want to actually participate in the process.

Is the number of psychiatrists who are willing to participate in MAID going to be able to handle the demand from patients, while still maintaining reasonable waiting times for all involved? I haven't seen any information about this or anyone even allude to this issue at all until I saw this comment here. I'd like to hear what the government and medical experts have to say about it.
Yeah, I was thinking about this too.

Spectre

Spectre

Nov 27, 2023
I don't know, but the idea of MAID being wait-listed actually does make sense from a practical point of view.

As the law is written (if I recall), if a patient requests a MAID assessment, their doctor is legally obligated to refer the patient for an assessment. Doctors don't have to participate in the MAID process, but they have an obligation to make referrals.

it's probably going to be a rat race. trying to find a psychiatrist to certify one for MAID. They'll all probably have crazy long waitlists. Some may try to skip out on the Canada health Act and charge privately to skip the line.

MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
I wonder how many people will actually be eligible, however. I'm sure only the most severe mental illness cases will be considered and a physician will have to do a thorough assessment.
I can only imagine it will be a convoluted process like the countries where it's already legal, with a lot of red tape to go through:

I highly doubt one would be able to walk into a place like a fast food restaurant and order euthanasia like a combo meal. "I'll have lethal injection special with a large cyanide for the drink." Although thatwould be nice.

Reactions: Rhizomorph1
Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023
I can only imagine it will be a convoluted process like the countries where it's already legal, with a lot of red tape to go through:

I highly doubt one would be able to walk into a place like a fast food restaurant and order euthanasia like a combo meal. "I'll have lethal injection special with a large cyanide for the drink." Although thatwould be nice.
Interesting study. It seems they need to simultaneously increase access while tightening safeguards such as obtaining informed consent.

One will hopefully follow from the other. I hope it's made more accessible soon. I've met a lot of people who I am confident would benefit from MAID.

And others who are probably dying prematurely but don't have access to person-centered resources for deliberating the issue because a lot of this work happens underground where there is a fundamental lack of resources and capacity.

Too many people are falling through the cracks. Suicide prohibition & stigma is a massive driver of this on either side of the fence. Bottom-up peer-led services are bound to have gaps but it's the best we have right now until people sort out regulated systems that don't force people into hiding.

Reactions: MatrixPrisoner
J

joshua9119

Nov 9, 2023
On March 17 2024 Canadians can enter a 90 day wait list for medically assisted suicide where the only reason is mental illness. Is anyone else thinking of waiting it out until Medicaid suicide is available? The date is just so far away and I want to go now but I also have such a strong SI and physical pain intolerance. I know a MAID injection isn't guaranteed but it sounds alot more assured than most methods and at the very least maybe my organs can be donated to someone who needs them afterwards?

depthss

depthss

On Friday, July 12th, 2024🪦
Dec 12, 2023
I'm so excited for this to be available, if I'm able to access it this is probably how I'll CTB, this is a great thing for us. I hope people in other countries will get something similar soon

Azraelia

Azraelia

Was this God's plan?
Dec 29, 2023
Maybe if suicide becomes an accessible solution and enough people utilize government-approved options, perhaps they'll try to actually get to the root of the problem and fix it, instead of trying to fix "people." We are not broken, the system is.
Sooo trueee. This reminds of a line from the song "pills" by Greg Guevara; "Am I sick, or is the world sick? Or are we both sick, and I'm just the wrong kind of sick to exist?"

• Love
Reactions: TuttiFrutti
Spectre

Spectre

Nov 27, 2023
Sooo trueee. This reminds of a line from the song "pills" by Greg Guevara; "Am I sick, or is the world sick? Or are we both sick, and I'm just the wrong kind of sick to exist?"
Are you quoting Jreg like a philosopher?

Pinkliquid12

Pinkliquid12

Sep 10, 2022
As a Canadian I'm not expecting much. I do think it's funny that out of all the things that need to be fixed in this country, weed and assisted suicide are the first ones checked off.
Polandball zubdo7

• Yay!
Reactions: Spectre
U

unfixable

Oct 1, 2023
As a Canadian I'm not expecting much. I do think it's funny that out of all the things that need to be fixed in this country, weed and assisted suicide are the first ones checked off.
View attachment 125739
While it might make a funny meme, the reality is whether MAID as a concept existed or not, those alternative problems would still exist and still not be addressed regardless. It is really one of the most common and logically flawed arguments that the pro-lifers use to deny Canadians access to MAID.

Reactions: heavyeyes and TuttiFrutti
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
In America they'll kill (sometimes) innocent prisoners with every method physically possible and yet for some reason all the religious fundamentalists materialize from their biblical apocalypse bunkers and cornfields in bumfuck nowhere, USA the moment someone brings up assisted suicide.

Reactions: heavyeyes, divinemistress36 and Spectre
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
They just extended for another 3 years. Forget this program. It will never happen. Would you wait 3 years later for them to say it will be delayed once again?

Reactions: conveniently_dead
DeadManLiving

DeadManLiving

Ticketholder
Sep 9, 2022
Good for Canada. I guess you need to be a Canadian citizen, though? Wish they had this in the US.
Oregon would be the only state that's laissez-faire; you would qualify for any condition that is not resolvable and resulst in a substantial and significant suffering for the individual.

Although statutory codified, the condition does not necessarily need to result in death or morbidity within 6 months, according to media leaks, people and kids with depression were euthanized. You just have to establish the right relationships with mad scientist doctors and Curry their favor over time and clean and get their signatures.

They waved The residency requirement, so any US citizen with the signature of two doctors for any condition is eligible under Oregon's Death With Dignity Act, recently amended. I believe Virginia also waived the residency requirement, but don't quote me on that not sure.

Reactions: divinemistress36
T

theapple

May 4, 2020
On March 17 2024 Canadians can enter a 90 day wait list for medically assisted suicide where the only reason is mental illness. Is anyone else thinking of waiting it out until Medicaid suicide is available? The date is just so far away and I want to go now but I also have such a strong SI and physical pain intolerance. I know a MAID injection isn't guaranteed but it sounds alot more assured than most methods and at the very least maybe my organs can be donated to someone who needs them afterwards?

If I am not mistaken, I just read something that Canada is rethinking this. They showed the statistics and felt too many people were accessing maid and now are very hesitant to take this next step. I apologize, I can't remember where I saw this but it was recent. I am not Canadian so I didn't save it.

They will delay expansion again. Senate committee recommended...Canadian medical system not ready. Health minister will table legislation seeking another 3 year delay.

Am VERY disappointed...have been waiting for this....they delayed it a year LAST YEAR, and now a month away and it will be delayed again.

That's why I'm here.

They will delay expansion again. Senate committee recommended...Canadian medical system not ready. Health minister will table legislation seeking another 3 year delay.

Am VERY disappointed...have been waiting for this....they delayed it a year LAST YEAR, and now a month away and it will be delayed again.

That's why I'm here.

Reactions: Spectre