L

LonelyLight

Warlock
May 31, 2019
So I am back from hospital now. It was nowhere near as bad as I imagined it to be. The whole thing took about 5 minutes. I got an IV sedative in my arm and a numbing throat spray and had to lye on my left side. They put a mouth guard in to protect my teeth. I was awake the whole time. I coughed and choked a little bit on the tube but I didn't feel the camera go down into my chest and stomach. The sedative didn't really do much either I didn't feel any different. Tbh now that I've had it done it would have been really unnecessary to be knocked out for it.

They said I have a haitus hernia which they said was no big deal and can be handled by eating smaller meals and acid medication. Both of these things I already do but still have pain so may have to consider surgery in future. May have to get a colonoscopy too because I don't know whether the pain is coming from my stomach or bowel. The doctor told me that a lot of the times a haitus hernia is not noticeable and not usually very painful? I don't know if I agree with this. I have constant pain and 24/7 nausea and I already know the medication doesn't work.

Does anyone here have a haitus hernia?
I want to again thank everyone for your well wishes and advice :heart:
I'm not sure what a hiatus hernia is, so I'm sorry I cant help there, but I'm delighted it all went so well for you and its over with now x

• Love
Reactions: mediocre
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I'm not sure what a hiatus hernia is, so I'm sorry I cant help there, but I'm delighted it all went so well for you and its over with now x
A haitus hernia is when a part of your stomach pushes up into your chest. Apparently it's common in the over 50's but I'm only 26. I can have severe heartburn/chest pain after eating, have difficulty swallowing, feel bloated, feel nausea, vomit up bits of food etc. This is so bad that it affects my day-to-day life. They said it's commonly managed by taking anticid medications but these don't work for me. Usually when I think of a hernia it is something that could be removed through surgery but since this one is inside your body I'm not sure if it's common to get surgery for it :(

and thank you! but I may have to go back for other tests. I feel a bit more confident now thanks to yours and others encouragement and how seemingly straightforward it went today.

Feelingsruiner

Feelingsruiner

Nov 8, 2019
A haitus hernia is when a part of your stomach pushes up into your chest. Apparently it's common in the over 50's but I'm only 26. I can have severe heartburn/chest pain after eating, have difficulty swallowing, feel bloated, feel nausea, vomit up bits of food etc. This is so bad that it affects my day-to-day life. They said it's commonly managed by taking anticid medications but these don't work for me. Usually when I think of a hernia it is something that could be removed through surgery but since this one is inside your body I'm not sure if it's common to get surgery for it :(

and thank you! but I may have to go back for other tests. I feel a bit more confident now thanks to yours and others encouragement and how seemingly straightforward it went today.

I am about the same age and have GERD too, you can PM me if you wanna talk about it, I know how heavy of a burden it can be mentally