• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

bFre3

bFre3

Apr 8, 2024
With pure SN getting harder and harder to buy directly, I've been looking into the possibility of getting SN from other products. I'm not a chemist, so I'm not entirely sure if this is feasible. It's nothing but a little idea for now, but I think it's worth a discussion.

I first looked into extracting SN from curing salts. Curing salts seems to be a mixture of SN (NaNO2) and Sodium Chloride (NaCl) which is just table salt. There already seems to be discussions online about separating these two, and from what I've read it seems possible, but difficult. I don't think I'm qualified enough in chemistry to give an opinion though.

I also looked into getting SN (NaNO2) from Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3). Apparently, a few hobby chemists have been doing this to acquire SN after it became difficult to obtain them. There are a few videos on YouTube about it.

Once again, I don't have enough knowledge on chemistry to say anything for sure. I know nothing past basic high school chemistry. This is also another reason why I'm posting this, for someone hopefully more educated than me to provide their opinions.

I believe the main points of concern would be:

1. Purity of obtained SN
2. Checking if the substance obtained is even SN (although, I'm pretty sure this can be done with test strips?)
3. Cost
4. Safety of the process

Reactions: hellworldprincess
hellworldprincess

hellworldprincess

Jun 29, 2024
With pure SN getting harder and harder to buy directly, I've been looking into the possibility of getting SN from other products. I'm not a chemist, so I'm not entirely sure if this is feasible. It's nothing but a little idea for now, but I think it's worth a discussion.

I first looked into extracting SN from curing salts. Curing salts seems to be a mixture of SN (NaNO2) and Sodium Chloride (NaCl) which is just table salt. There already seems to be discussions online about separating these two, and from what I've read it seems possible, but difficult. I don't think I'm qualified enough in chemistry to give an opinion though.

I also looked into getting SN (NaNO2) from Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3). Apparently, a few hobby chemists have been doing this to acquire SN after it became difficult to obtain them. There are a few videos on YouTube about it.

Once again, I don't have enough knowledge on chemistry to say anything for sure. I know nothing past basic high school chemistry. This is also another reason why I'm posting this, for someone hopefully more educated than me to provide their opinions.

I believe the main points of concern would be:

1. Purity of obtained SN
2. Checking if the substance obtained is even SN (although, I'm pretty sure this can be done with test strips?)
3. Cost
4. Safety of the process
For the synthesis of SN this pathway seems like the best to me as a lay person

However calcium sulfide isn't actually easier to obtain than SN at my location, so I haven't really pursued this option further.

I'm going to keep tabs on this thread in the hope of someone having something more helpful to contribute, but maybe this helps in some way.

• Love
Reactions: bFre3