HereToday

HereToday

Arcanist
Dec 27, 2019
They always involve the only person I care about--my abusive ex who I still love, we broke up 2.5 months ago and have had no contact with for the past month.
Sometimes it's him telling me to die, sometimes it's real crazy stuff like dreaming he left behind one of his LEGS so I would have something of his to not feel alone.
Other times it's just reliving traumatic things that happened during the relationship/breakup.

This only started when it became clear I will ctb soon with 100% certainty, and have a concrete plan in place. Why? How can I stop them? Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm going insane. I now stay awake as long as possible, until dawn when I fall asleep from exhaustion, because I don't want to close my eyes and see him. It happens anyway.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Flume, hatelife, MysticPerception and 6 others
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
I do almost every night. It's similar for me too because it's usually about my ex as well. He was abusive but I'm still in love with him too. And I get sick and damn tired of seeing him in dreams and reliving things I know it's a PTSD related thing. Especially the reoccurring themes and topics. Sadly I don't find much that helps. Antihistamines for sleep aid kind of help. Benzos help me but that's no solution because they are so addictive. Everyone swears by weed stopping REM sleep but I guess I'm just broken because it has never ever helped me for that...and interesting it never stopped my previous exes (who were heavy users) from nightmares either. There is a medication called Prazosin (that's what it's called in my country) and it's supposed to help PTSD nightmares. It's a blood pressure med so I'm kind of scared but I'm going to mention it to my Dr next time I go. So sorry your struggling with this too. It's really hard because I just want a restful nights sleep so bad!!!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Nemeshisu, HereToday, TheDevilsAngel and 1 other person
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
Nope. That would mean I would have to sleep... and I don't.

I actually had a sleep study. I don't go into the REM sleep cycle, so I don't dream.

• Hugs
Reactions: HereToday, Worthless_nobody, TheDevilsAngel and 1 other person
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
In the first year after my husband died, I had frequent dreams where he would be talking to me and his voice would be so clear, it was like he was right next to me. Sometimes it would wake me up.
I had one dream in particular that was very strange in which my husband was upset that his life insurance hadn't been paid. I had to explain to him that he had died and he didn't need his life insurance anymore and that's why I didn't pay it.
Luckily, for me, the dreams have calmed down since the first year anniversary of his passing. I do still have dreams every now and again where I hear his voice very clearly and it wakes me up, but they are not nearly as frequent as they were.
I wish I had some advice for you about how to make them stop. Hopefully, someone else on here will have some good advice. I just wanted to let you know that you weren't alone. :heart: :hug:

As to why, perhaps it's your brain trying to work something out while you're asleep? I think when we have dreams about traumatic events, that's part of the reason for it. Our brain is trying to make sense out of something that maybe just doesn't make any sense. I think I read somewhere that our brains like to have everything in homeostasis, or Stability, so if something happens to us that causes that stability to be lost, our brain will do whatever it takes to try to push us back towards stability.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Nihil, Nemeshisu, HereToday and 2 others
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
Quite often. Usually about failing at school or university, or getting fired.

Reactions: HereToday
Shero

Shero

Experienced
Dec 19, 2019
When i was very little i saw some killing himself, so i started dreaming of doing the same act for around a decade. Then it mixed up with getting chased and some gruesome stuff. Now in my twentys, i never have nightmares.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Sensei and HereToday
HereToday

HereToday

Arcanist
Dec 27, 2019
I do almost every night. It's similar for me too because it's usually about my ex as well. He was abusive but I'm still in love with him too. And I get sick and damn tired of seeing him in dreams and reliving things I know it's a PTSD related thing. Especially the reoccurring themes and topics. Sadly I don't find much that helps. Antihistamines for sleep aid kind of help. Benzos help me but that's no solution because they are so addictive. Everyone swears by weed stopping REM sleep but I guess I'm just broken because it has never ever helped me for that...and interesting it never stopped my previous exes (who were heavy users) from nightmares either. There is a medication called Prazosin (that's what it's called in my country) and it's supposed to help PTSD nightmares. It's a blood pressure med so I'm kind of scared but I'm going to mention it to my Dr next time I go. So sorry your struggling with this too. It's really hard because I just want a restful nights sleep so bad!!!
I never even considered that it could be PTSD. I just looked it up and have every single one of the symptoms. There's no point getting a diagnosis though because I'll be gone before the end of the month. But thank you for shedding some light on the situation! I was really starting to feel like I was going the type of insane that belongs in an asylum. Lol

I'm so sorry you relate to this. It's torture that on top of the actual abuse we suffered, we now have to relive it too. Thank you so much for sharing the suggestions, I have to go to the doctors and get some type of sleeping pill because even the idea of 3-4 more weeks of this is hell
Nope. That would mean I would have to sleep... and I don't.

I actually had a sleep study. I don't go into the REM sleep cycle, so I don't dream.
Sorry to hear about your sleeping troubles. Does this mean when you do sleep, you only have the deep sleep phase?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Worthless_nobody
PartingGlass

PartingGlass

Dec 26, 2019
I have a similar situation but it's kind of the opposite. Sometimes I have really good dreams, usually involving a loving relationship. Then the second I wake up and realize it's not real I immediately break down and cry. I do the same thing as you when that happens, I stay up as long as I can because I don't want it to happen again.

Dreams like that make me more likely to end it because I hate seeing things I can never have. I know it might sound stupid but they really get to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Null84 and Worthless_nobody
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
I never even considered that it could be PTSD. I just looked it up and have every single one of the symptoms. There's no point getting a diagnosis though because I'll be gone before the end of the month. But thank you for shedding some light on the situation! I was really starting to feel like I was going the type of insane that belongs in an asylum. Lol

I'm so sorry you relate to this. It's torture that on top of the actual abuse we suffered, we now have to relive it too. Thank you so much for sharing the suggestions, I have to go to the doctors and get some type of sleeping pill because even the idea of 3-4 more weeks of this is hell
I'm actually supposed to see a sleep doctor soon since my regular doctor seemed to not be helpful. On top of the nightmare issue I have severe insomnia/delayed sleep phase disorder so it's hard to fall asleep but thrn when I actually do I just have nightmares. I'm hoping I can get Ambien or something for sleep. I'm prescribed Xanax but I hate wasting them on sleep each night. I tried Seroquel and that only made me unable to breathe. I hope you can get some meds too for some relief.

HereToday

HereToday

Arcanist
Dec 27, 2019
In the first year after my husband died, I had frequent dreams where he would be talking to me and his voice would be so clear, it was like he was right next to me. Sometimes it would wake me up.
I had one dream in particular that was very strange in which my husband was upset that his life insurance hadn't been paid. I had to explain to him that he had died and he didn't need his life insurance anymore and that's why I didn't pay it.
Luckily, for me, the dreams have calmed down since the first year anniversary of his passing. I do still have dreams every now and again where I hear his voice very clearly and it wakes me up, but they are not nearly as frequent as they were.
I wish I had some advice for you about how to make them stop. Hopefully, someone else on here will have some good advice. I just wanted to let you know that you weren't alone. :heart: :hug:

As to why, perhaps it's your brain trying to work something out while you're asleep? I think when we have dreams about traumatic events, that's part of the reason for it. Our brain is trying to make sense out of something that maybe just doesn't make any sense. I think I read somewhere that our brains like to have everything in homeostasis, or Stability, so if something happens to us that causes that stability to be lost, our brain will do whatever it takes to try to push us back towards stability.
Your story really touches my heart, your situation is so incredibly sad I can't even imagine it. You're so strong for hanging on :heart:

They say the dead communicate with us through dreams, and interestingly when a good friend died I was distraught. I dreamt about her a few days later. I was crying, and she asked me why. I replied 'because you're dead!' and she said 'there's no need to cry, I'm fine. I'm still here and will always be with you'. I never dreamt about her again. I like to think that was really her, and I also like to think your husband is letting you know he's still around

• Love
Reactions: BlueWidow
Nihil

Nihil

Student
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, I suffer from them almost every night. While my life is improving and I'm trying to stay optimistic about the future, nightmares are something I greatly struggle with nowadays. While I don't always remember them (and I'm usually really relieved to wake up), they tend to revolve around various themes due to a bunch of screwed up traumatic experiences in my past. I really feel like I'm suffering from untreated PTSD, but I fear getting any form of treatment for it because I'd be way too scared to talk to a therapist about anything suicide-related since I don't want to be involuntarily committed and lose my guns (primary way of catching the bus if shit ever hits the fan beyond repair).

Don't wanna go into too much detail, but my nightmares generally center around repeating themes that screw with me like no tomorrow. One theme is always ending up on some world that is mostly made of water, and getting dragged down to the bottom of the ocean with these god-awful monstrous noises/screams with these gigantic sea monsters. I also have dreams about being trapped in a room with no hope of escape while having to suffer through my darkest memories/fears.

Another theme is being trapped in the old World Trade Center twin towers and dying as they collapse, or jumping to my death. I work in a tower, and sometimes when I look out the windows, I feel like I need to die like the people from the North Tower. I'm also a survivor of Russian roulette, having previously played the game six times. I should have died and would have died on the third game had I actually pulled the trigger. First three games were one bullet, then two bullets, then three bullets. Third game was a 50/50 shot, and I should have died, but I backed out. Did a repeat of games one to three with games four to six, and with game six being a 50/50 shot, I actually mustered up the guts to pull the trigger...and lived. Nightmares with Russian roulette, I don't always remember too well, but I always hear that iconic cylinder spinning noise with the hammer cocking in those nightmares, and sometimes I die in those dreams. It's like a giant instant painful BOOM to the head, and I instantly wake up sweating and panting. Interestingly enough, I wake up with headaches whenever I have those types of nightmares. Then there's another theme where these shadow figures/monsters with glowing white eyes chase after me screaming or trying to merge with me to physically erase me, my memories, my mind:

Darkness Zero

Then there's other nightmares relating to past events from when I was younger, but usually distorted and much, MUCH darker than from what I remember, though I've suffered through some pretty screwed up major life events in the past. Last sets of nightmares don't happen as often, but typically center around trying to escape a tsunami or a tornado coming at me, though in those dreams, I always survive oddly enough. And then there's other nightmares that I just have no memory of in general.

Yeah, nightmares 100% suck big time. It's very rare that I dream of nothing and even rarer that I actually have a good dream. Dang nightmares leaving me more tired than usual during the day. Wish there was a way to make them go away without having to see a therapist or risk getting committed. Can't talk about the suicide stuff with them. Just can't. One of my biggestest fears is involuntary committment. No thank you.

Hexen

Hexen

Student
Aug 12, 2019
Used to have them all the time, these days I have them sometimes

M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
No and thank god for small mercies. I'm sorry for everybody here that has to suffer them. When I can get to sleep I can go quite deep. It's a little bit of welcome relief from being in so much pain.

• Hugs
Reactions: Flume and hatelife
MysticPerception

MysticPerception

I'm back and I'll still smile for you
Dec 31, 2019
I very rarely have nightmares these days. I used to have them all the time when I was really young. It would usually be some obvious fear manifested like coming home to find my family missing or me being horribly mutilated by someone I love. For some reason most of my nightmares would be about me dying in some terrible way or another. I'm grateful I don't have that anymore, it's not fun being forced to experience being chopped up into pieces by your siblings that you love. As for why they stopped I have no idea. Maybe because I get more sleep now than I ever did back then, maybe because I don't worry about stuff as much as I did back then. Sorry for anyone that has to deal with the nightmares still, my heart goes out to you.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Luckily not very often, but when I do, they are intense. I'm fond of dream interpretation, however pseudo-psychological it may be, and there's a dream which has reoccured recently that keeps puzzling me. In this dream, it's always night and I turn off the lights, usually when I go to bed to sleep. It literally gets pitch black, but I'm not afraid. Then I get the feeling that there's someone or something in the room, some uknown threat hiding in the total darkness. I reach for a lamp, but I'm fumbling. I'm feeling that whatever it is that is hiding in the darkness, it's getting closer. However much I'm trying, I can't find the switch on the lamp and all I can see is blackness. Then I always wake up. Since this dream reoccurs, I can't help feeling that my suboncsious is trying to tell me something. Or maybe it's just a dream and that's all there is to it.

Davout

Davout

The Iron Marshal
Dec 30, 2019
I don't think there's much you can do about your dreams, except to learn about lucid dreaming. It's a thing, sure, but it's not easy to achieve and hence is not reliable. Usually, when a dream gets too unpleasant, I can "will" myself out of it (that's about the extent of my lucidity: knowing the exits and how to get out), but I still wake up in a foul or more often depressed mood.

throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
yes all the time. But to be honest my life is a nightmare also so...

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager and hatelife
RedVioletBleeds

RedVioletBleeds

Jan 2, 2020
I've been having nightmares for about a year now. Granted, they aren't every night but have been getting more frequent. For the past week I've had one every night.
Usually I have dreams about people I care about turning around and leaving me. This makes me upset usually. The dream will more often of not include self harm or suicide in it too. Plus, sometimes I'll be in hospital which brings back memories that trigger me.
They suck but due to their topic, I'm too embarrassed to speak up about them so I can't do much about them.

Csmith8827

Csmith8827

Don't you listen to your heart? (Listen to it...)
Oct 26, 2019
Sometimes as of late i have. It's usually a reflection of whatever i'm dealing with or is causing strife and shit in my life. Like staring at a lake and seeing your reflection. Makes sense i guess. Pretty profound but knowledge is power so i guess they don't get me down too bad.

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I get night terrors when I'm extremely stressed where I'm half awake and half asleep and I think I see spiders on my pillow or crawling all over me. I'm petrified of spiders, I usually wake up fully trying to get out the room.
Other than that I have normal nightmares, people stabbing me, skinning me, rape. Fun stuff.

Flume

Flume

Villain
Oct 28, 2019
They always involve the only person I care about--my abusive ex who I still love, we broke up 2.5 months ago and have had no contact with for the past month.
Sometimes it's him telling me to die, sometimes it's real crazy stuff like dreaming he left behind one of his LEGS so I would have something of his to not feel alone.
Other times it's just reliving traumatic things that happened during the relationship/breakup.

This only started when it became clear I will ctb soon with 100% certainty, and have a concrete plan in place. Why? How can I stop them? Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm going insane. I now stay awake as long as possible, until dawn when I fall asleep from exhaustion, because I don't want to close my eyes and see him. It happens anyway.

Yeah I have dreams about dad. Almost everyrytime it's negative stuff. His face is covered, he can't speak, he's walking away from me and I can't do anything about it. Never stopped since he died and I don't think it will either.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I have had nightmares since childhood. The recurrent ones are those where I am lost trying to get home, or the ones where the devil takes me to hell. They come and go, I don't have them all the time. They mostly intensify during very stressful periods. A few of them were so vivid and scary, I felt frightened for a long time afterwards.