BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Suicide has been around for as long as humans have walked the earth. Its always happened, mental illness has always existed as has physical illness. While I don't wholeheartedly agree that millennials are softer, I do agree that we grew up in a generation where the word 'no' doesn't exist as much and complaining and having your feelings hurt gets things changed a lot easier. The world as a whole is getting soft, we are trying to accommodate every single individual view and opinion and perspective, but its crossing so many lines that eventually we're going to be a mess.
Years ago things were very black and white, things were what they were and you just sort of had to get on with it.

• Love
Reactions: BlueWidow and mediocre
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
I can only speak for myself. But I am very soft and sensitive. My parent grew up poor so they adapted to the harsh condition they were in. I was never listened to growing up. My problems were not addressed so I think that is the reason why I am so soft. Plus the fact I was given a warm house to live in.
I can relate to being very soft and sensitive. :ehh:

HannahB

HannahB

Death is the true name of time.
Oct 29, 2019
If we assume that by resiliency you mean 'the ability to adapt to change' I would have to say no. We are not losing our ability to change we are losing sight of what to change for. I dont believe its nessisarlly a reduction in ability but a reduction in the desire to use said ability. Now that we are in the age of information it's very easy to get overwhelmed with information. For example it's quite easy to chose between chocolate vanilla and strawberry icecream. But when we give people 32 flavors it becomes much harder to make a choice. People have unlimited information but dont have the ability to process it into a large picture. In the past you had whatever local religion and beliefs you happened to run into making it easy to choose a path and create meaning.

• Love
Reactions: BlueWidow, Élégie, Misanthrope and 3 others
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Young people are less resilient - because things are harder.

Quality of life had improved but it's harder to recover from difficulties, or view distant prospects reassuringly. Older generations knew that working hard pays. Even Silents (75+), experiencing real hunger and death, worked hard and fared well. That's not true anymore.

Millenials are soft – in the best possible sense. They are more generous, accepting, and caring. That does not make them 'weak'.

They are, however, extremely anxious. The firsts to earn less than previous generations. It's not about cash, it's about opportunity.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quoting research (those born 1995-2002) – Older millennials were born into economic security, while this generation came of age during the beginning of the global financial crisis in 2008. They have been shaped by an environment of job insecurity, rife inequality, and a sense of fear about their economic futures. Another force which has profoundly shaped today's young adults is the growing sense of existential threat. Though the majority of them will not have directly experienced terror attacks they are experiencing it virtually 24/7 on their smartphones.

* Profoundly anxious – about global issues but also about their own personal futures. 79% are concerned about getting a job and 72% agonize about getting into debt.

* Distrustful – 60% of adults say they have faith big corporations will 'do the right thing' ; among young adults that number drops to 6%.

Reactions: Misanthrope and BlueWidow
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
Young people are less resilient - because things are harder.

Quality of life had improved but it's harder to recover from difficulties, or view distant prospects reassuringly. Older generations knew that working hard pays. Even Silents (75+), experiencing real hunger and death, worked hard and fared well. That's not true anymore.

Millenials are soft – in the best possible sense. They are more generous, accepting, and caring. That does not make them 'weak'.

They are, however, extremely anxious. The firsts to earn less than previous generations. It's not about cash, it's about opportunity.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quoting research (those born 1995-2002) – Older millennials were born into economic security, while this generation came of age during the beginning of the global financial crisis in 2008. They have been shaped by an environment of job insecurity, rife inequality, and a sense of fear about their economic futures. Another force which has profoundly shaped today's young adults is the growing sense of existential threat. Though the majority of them will not have directly experienced terror attacks they are experiencing it virtually 24/7 on their smartphones.

* Profoundly anxious – about global issues but also about their own personal futures. 79% are concerned about getting a job and 72% agonize about getting into debt.

* Distrustful – 60% of adults say they have faith big corporations will 'do the right thing' ; among young adults that number drops to 6%.
Not to mention, now that people are surrounded by smartphones and the internet, they'll experience anxiety more and more. It'll never stop.

Reactions: BlueWidow and Quarky00
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Not to mention, now that people are surrounded by smartphones and the internet, they'll experience anxiety more and more. It'll never stop.
This is how humans communicate. Big problem.

* Loneliness - teenagers most enjoyed activities with physical togetherness, such as gigs or trips. In a world in which virtual communication is now the standard, real interactions are scarce. 80% prefer spending time with their friends in person rather than on the phone or online.

WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
This is how humans communicate. Big problem.

* Loneliness - teenagers most enjoyed activities with physical togetherness, such as gigs or trips. In a world in which virtual communication is now the standard, real interactions are scarce. 80% prefer spending time with their friends in person rather than on the phone or online.
As long as humans exist, there will always be problems. That's the number one rule of existence and life. Talking about it isn't going to fix it. Politicians are waiting their time. So are teachers and everyone else. Humans have much less power over changing things.

Last edited:
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
They are also being told by their teachers, politicians, activists, and other opportunists that the world is going to end in anywhere from 8 to 12 years because of climate change. While I agree that the climate is changing, there's absolutely no way that anyone can say with certainty that it's going to end in any specific amount of years like that. Yet all of these people are scaring the hell out of kids for no reason at all, except to further their own power.
I am part of the older section of Generation X and when I was a teenager the big threat was that Russia was going to drop a bomb on us. Every generation seems to have its own doomsday scenario that politicians and other people in power use to scare the hell out of them and keep them in line.
As long as someone is anxious and afraid, they're not going to get out of line and investigate the powerful people who are controlling everything.