• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There is someone very unstable person in this forum who is sort of delusional. I am too scared to talk to this person. I tried but I did not achieve anything. My fear is the impact of my actions could be pretty arbitrary. Sometimes an attempt to help someone ends in the complete opposite. This led me to the question of the title.

Of course the massive campaign against this forum led to more users. Especially the Youtube videos or the Wikipedia article. There are plenty more examples.

I just searched for "wrong ways to approach someone who is suicidal" I will copy paste it and I want to hear your opinion.
At the same time I have a feeling that some advices work for some people and other people get worse hearing them.

Copy pasted text:

Wrongs ways to approach someone who is suicidal

• Do not tell the person to "toughen up" or "be strong," as this can exacerbate feelings of shame and guilt.
  • Refrain from making judgments about their situation or circumstances, as this can lead to feelings of isolation and hopelessness.
Don't Offer Unsolicited Advice
  • Avoid giving advice or telling the person what they should do, as this can come across as dismissive of their feelings and experiences.
  • Instead, focus on listening and offering emotional support.
Avoid Accusations or Blame
  • Refrain from accusing the person of being selfish or attention-seeking, as this can increase feelings of guilt and shame.
  • Avoid blaming others or circumstances for their situation, as this can shift focus away from the person's emotional distress.
Don't Ignore the Warning Signs
  • Avoid ignoring or dismissing the person's suicidal thoughts or feelings, as this can make them feel unheard and unseen.
  • Instead, acknowledge their distress and let them know you're there to support them.
Don't Keep it a Secret
  • Avoid keeping the person's suicidal thoughts or feelings a secret, as this can create a sense of isolation and make it harder for them to seek help.
  • Encourage them to seek professional help and support, and offer to help them get connected with resources.
Remember, Suicidal Thoughts are Not a Personal Failure
  • Avoid implying that suicidal thoughts are a personal failure or a sign of weakness, as this can perpetuate harmful stigmas.
  • Instead, focus on offering empathy and understanding, and remind the person that suicidal thoughts are a symptom of a treatable mental health condition.
Do you think these advices are useful? Where do you disagree? Which are the biggest mistakes if you try to approach someone who is suicidal?

P

Proteus

Oceanic Member
Feb 6, 2024
Those seem good, but to answer the title, and address mainstream suicide prevention, I'll leave this quote:

Bad people doing evil are indistinguishable from stupid people trying to do good.

Just don't be like that people.

• Love
Reactions: Loona6546645 and Forever Sleep
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
Umm to me saying that reaching out would help you and then when you actually do reach out, you get nothing or maybe things get even worse. It's a huge disappointment which simply proves you that life is actually hard and there's no escape from all the pain.

Reactions: AndroidAmongHumans
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
To answer the question, yes I definitely think many approaches to 'helping" suicidal people lead to more suicides. It's such a taboo topic that most don't know how to approach it. This leaves people feeling more isolated.

Regarding how to support suicidal people, I recently read this article. I appreciated it.

Reactions: popcornheart