DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Lol I've heard about synesthesia but how is it relevant? I don't have it…maybe other commenters in the thread do?
When you said you can't images in your mind, it reminded me of it. Seeing sound, smelling color, ect. 🤷‍♀️ lol
Do you find it affects your imagination or problem solving abilities?

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Wait guys, here's an update:

I can hear/imagine/play songs/music in my head just by thinking about them, I heard one just now. I can't do the same for the other senses though 😭 songs get stuck in my head often too, maybe this is related.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocinante and Homo erectus
restless.dreams

restless.dreams

inactive (see my profile)
Feb 7, 2024
Hey, I have aphantasia! I'm unable to call up pictures in my mind. I also don't have a mental map, so my sense of direction is terrible, haha. However, I do have vivid dreams, so maybe I can only visualize in my sleep?

I can play music in my mind, and I do have an internal voice. Apparently some people don't.

Reactions: sserafim and Homo erectus
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Hey, I have aphantasia! I'm unable to call up pictures in my mind. I also don't have a mental map, so my sense of direction is terrible, haha. However, I do have vivid dreams, so maybe I can only visualize in my sleep?

I can play music in my mind, and I do have an internal voice. Apparently some people don't.

I still don't know what minds eye is after reading a lot about aphantasia. Is seeing with minds eye similar to dreaming? I can think in my head but it's different from dreaming.
Wait guys, here's an update:

I can hear/imagine/play songs/music in my head just by thinking about them, I heard one just now. I can't do the same for the other senses though 😭 songs get stuck in my head often too, maybe this is related.

Is thinking music in the head the same experience as hearing it?

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I still don't know what minds eye is after reading a lot about aphantasia. Is seeing with minds eye similar to dreaming? I can think in my head but it's different from dreaming.

Is thinking music in the head the same experience as hearing it?
I don't think that seeing with your mind's eye is similar to dreaming. I heard that they involved different parts of the brain. I have aphantasia but I dream really vividly (crystal clear images and I experience all 5 senses in dreams), and they feel real, like real life.

Yeah, I think the melody and then I can hear the music/song in my head. I think that's the only sense that I can access in my head.

I have vivid dreams as well. Wdym by "internal voice?" Btw, how do you experience your thoughts? I think that I have an internal voice too, but I'm not sure. Strangely, I have a good sense of direction, I think I have like a 6th sense. Someone once said that I had like psychic abilities or something. I don't know how true that is, but I guess I'll take it just for kicks

Last edited:
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
I don't think that seeing with your mind's eye is similar to dreaming. I heard that they involved different parts of the brain. I have aphantasia but I dream really vividly (crystal clear images and I experience all 5 senses in dreams), and they feel real, like real life.

Yeah, I think the melody and then I can hear the music/song in my head. I think that's the only sense that I can access in my head.

I have vivid dreams as well. Wdym by "internal voice?" Btw, how do you experience your thoughts? I think that I have an internal voice too, but I'm not sure. Strangely, I have a good sense of direction, I think I have like a 6th sense. Someone once said that I had like psychic abilities or something. I don't know how true that is, but I guess I'll take it just for kicks

Is inner voice the right brain telling the left brain what to do, or vice versa, or something else?

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Is inner voice the right brain telling the left brain what to do, or vice versa, or something else?
I think an internal voice is like an inner narrative. Like a voice in your head

DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

eepy guy, hoping to CTB with someone else.
Feb 6, 2024
Do you have a mind's eye? Like can you see images in your mind? Personally I think I have aphantasia because I can't see images in my mind, if I do they're really hazy and I can barely make them out. I didn't know that other people could visualize things when they close their eyes
Not at all, I'm also not creative. I wish I was.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Actually I am not sure. I am rather mediocre at it I guess. But it is not fully impossible for me. I can do it better with open eyes. I have lucid dreams sometimes though.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Actually I am not sure. I am rather mediocre at it I guess. But it is not fully impossible for me. I can do it better with open eyes. I have lucid dreams sometimes though.
How did you have lucid dreams? Did you do it intentionally or by accident?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I feel like I have an average ability to picture things in my mind. It's not photographic, but my brain gets most details right if I make an effort in remembering them which I rarely do.

Reactions: Homo erectus and sserafim
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
How did you have lucid dreams? Did you do it intentionally or by accident?
As a child I noticed them. The first ones I can remember had a very sexual nature. I noticed I am pretty good at dreaming whatever I want. I tried out a lot of stuff in my dreams. The brain can synthesize the stuff but maybe not everything. I won't specify it. However it took a long time till I learned that not everyone is able to control dreams.

Recently I don't have lucid dreams anymore. I am not sure why. Or at least I cannot remember them. As a kid I had more lucid dreams. By accident first.

Last edited:
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
I used to but a couple decades ago I somehow lost that ability. I haven't read a book since, took all the joy out of it. Awhile ago I was interested in trying to fix it and found some stuff on yt claiming there's a cure. I lost the motivation to try.

restless.dreams

restless.dreams

inactive (see my profile)
Feb 7, 2024
Wdym by "internal voice?" Btw, how do you experience your thoughts? I think that I have an internal voice too, but I'm not sure.
For me, I have a voice in my head that says what I'm thinking. I experience my thoughts as coming from that voice. For example, if I'm thinking about what to have for lunch, my internal monologue might be, "I could have leftover pizza, or maybe a salad. I'll go see what's in the fridge." I can't actually see the pizza or the salad in my mind, but I can think to myself in words.

I used to but a couple decades ago I somehow lost that ability.
Interesting, I didn't know you could lose it. I'm sorry that happened to you :(