vagabond_concerto

vagabond_concerto

night owl seeking for meaning
Sep 19, 2024
First thread, hi. So I recently got into watching Tarkovsky films and I find them very existentialist. The grimy aesthetic of his scene shots also really push the whole feeling home.

The film Stalker really made me 'wish' for something to happen in the story but hardly anything actually happened, only the characters descent into madness, (and the zone to me seems like a fake concept made by the stalker to give himself a meaning in his otherwise bad life?) and then it made me wonder about the expectations I have built up for myself in my life.. to wish it were eventful, trying to make stuff happen (and fail), but really it is not as extraordinary as some other people's are (ex: influencers, rich kids, philanthropics, etc).. and then feeling lost?
Then the film the mirror. Especially the ruined woman in the story. I just felt bad for her and saw a bit of myself in her.

To the point that it kind of made me wonder if anyone here has ever been influenced by a piece of such media to either be more existential or wanting out of this world ? Or are you drawn to any specific melancholic media?

Also for example a book that made me almost lose my mind was Lapvona. Just the hopelessness of it all.

• Love
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, uglyugly, wCvML2 and 1 other person
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
I agree. There is a beauty in tragic media.

Screenshot 2024 09 18 10 54 21 69 1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9

Reactions: MentalFuneral and vagabond_concerto
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Aug 29, 2024
Sometimes I get really weird ideas for horror movies. I actually hate most horror movies because I don't think they're scary enough. Like truly horrifying imagery, tension, despair, dread, etc., things that probably wouldn't be allowed in theaters anyway lol. But I catch glimpses of the vibes I'm looking for every once in awhile, thinking about Hereditary and Martyrs, certain scenes, certain things that can break the viewer, truly unsettle them.

But it's not so much being so scared and looking away that interests me. It's the people who watch, bear witness and struggle with the film without getting up and walking away, that's what's interesting to me, how people cope and find resilience. Idk 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: vagabond_concerto
uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
Sometimes I get really weird ideas for horror movies. I actually hate most horror movies because I don't think they're scary enough. Like truly horrifying imagery, tension, despair, dread, etc., things that probably wouldn't be allowed in theaters anyway lol. But I catch glimpses of the vibes I'm looking for every once in awhile, thinking about Hereditary and Martyrs, certain scenes, certain things that can break the viewer, truly unsettle them.

But it's not so much being so scared and looking away that interests me. It's the people who watch, bear witness and struggle with the film without getting up and walking away, that's what's interesting to me, how people cope and find resilience. Idk 🤷‍♂️
Hereditary and Martyrs are both genius. Martyrs put me into shock - no kidding. Horrifying and nearly unwatchable yet amazing movie. Irreversible is pretty screwed up, too.

I love horror and have been obsessed with it most of my life. Still don't know why. I agree with you that it's the people who are sticking with it that I respect. I have to wonder how many got up and walked out of Martyrs in a theater. I saw it at home. After going into shock (I was absolutely freezing cold and shaking) I had to pause the DVD to give my body a break.

Reactions: BoulderSoWhat