Sickman75

Sickman75

Swing On The Spiral
Jan 27, 2019
Ive been reading on here as of late alot of people try and get disability
after a suicide attempt. is that possible? how does that work out in favor for the person?
can anybody do that? can someone please tell me how..thanx

Reactions: Kdawg2018, Deleted member 4993, lost_soul83 and 7 others
felix

felix

Experienced
Jan 25, 2019
after a suicide attempt. is that possible? how does that work out in favor for the person?
Imma pry have to get on it. I've got bad mental illness anxiety and psychosis and I can't work cuz of social anxiety and mental slowness.

Reactions: Kdawg2018, Deleted member 4993, brighter and 4 others
Sickman75

Sickman75

Swing On The Spiral
Jan 27, 2019
i didnt know you can do this. i keep reading it on here tho

Reactions: Kdawg2018, Deleted member 4993, brighter and 2 others
Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
In the U.S., it is not the act of attempted suicide that creates eligibility for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) payments but the underlying mental illness. There's also Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments which some people also refer to as 'disability'.

Both are administered by the Social Security Administration. SSDI eligibility typically requires having paid Social Security taxes; SSI does not have that requirement, it is needs based.

Yes, literally anybody can apply.

This link explains some of the specific requirements for both SSDI and SSI: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/

While anybody can apply, I can tell you that I know from personal experience that if you don't have an experienced doctor who knows how to work within the confines of the Social Security system and/or a long documented history of mental illness, it can be a long process to get approved nowadays. Apparently there is a back log of applications so they just outright reject some initial applicants, who eventually get approved on appeal, which can take a couple years.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, brighter, Sickman75 and 5 others
VoloFataliDoce

VoloFataliDoce

The World Is Quiet Here
Jan 23, 2019
You have to have a lot of medical records showing that your condition makes it almost impossible for you to work for them to approve you. (Sometimes!) a suicide attempt can add weight to those records, assuming of course that you go to the hospital afterwards to get treatment. In my opinion having worked with people who initially apply, those who have ongoing records and are keeping their appointments are the ones to be approved with as little difficulty as possible. One attempt and then months of no treatment, no doctor's appointments, etc, is not going to bode well on the application.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, brighter, Final Escape and 1 other person
Sickman75

Sickman75

Swing On The Spiral
Jan 27, 2019
You have to have a lot of medical records showing that your condition makes it almost impossible for you to work for them to approve you. (Sometimes!) a suicide attempt can add weight to those records, assuming of course that you go to the hospital afterwards to get treatment. In my opinion having worked with people who initially apply, those who have ongoing records and are keeping their appointments are the ones to be approved with as little difficulty as possible. One attempt and then months of no treatment, no doctor's appointments, etc, is not going to bode well on the application.
thank you

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and brighter
Sickman75

Sickman75

Swing On The Spiral
Jan 27, 2019
In the U.S., it is not the act of attempted suicide that creates eligibility for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) payments but the underlying mental illness. There's also Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments which some people also refer to as 'disability'.

Both are administered by the Social Security Administration. SSDI eligibility typically requires having paid Social Security taxes; SSI does not have that requirement, it is needs based.

Yes, literally anybody can apply.

This link explains some of the specific requirements for both SSDI and SSI: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/

While anybody can apply, I can tell you that I know from personal experience that if you don't have an experienced doctor who knows how to work within the confines of the Social Security system and/or a long documented history of mental illness, it can be a long process to get approved nowadays. Apparently there is a back log of applications so they just outright reject some initial applicants, who eventually get approved on appeal, which can take a couple years.
thank you for sharing

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Jen Erik and brighter
L

Logic

Student
Dec 20, 2018

What country are you in, what is your age and do you have any prior health conditions?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, brighter and Sickman75
Sickman75

Sickman75

Swing On The Spiral
Jan 27, 2019
What country are you in, what is your age and do you have any prior health conditions?
United States 44. 2 massivr heart attacks.
See a shrink and a counselor recovering addict and alcoholic.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, WhiteRabbit, brighter and 1 other person
Redt2go

Redt2go

flower child
Jan 5, 2019
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, brighter, TheCrow and 1 other person
Sickman75

Sickman75

Swing On The Spiral
Jan 27, 2019
Great! :) How are you?
About the same. Doing some reading on here. Getting caught up before I indulge into Breaking Bad. Some good reads here today.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Redt2go and TheCrow
TheCrow

TheCrow

Invisible Spirit
Sep 26, 2018
I know. They happened 6 months apart from each other. Took me over a year to recover
Omg! That's terrible! Man, I'm so sorry. Those hurt, right?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Dead Meat, Redt2go and 1 other person
Sickman75

Sickman75

Swing On The Spiral
Jan 27, 2019
Yeah- it hurt my whole body before and after.
Head to toe. Arms hurt so bad. Then my legs, then my left arm then my right while eveeything else was still hurting. I couldn't poop. Sweating. Tired.
Like an ughhhhhh constantly tired. Didn't know what was going on. My wife drive me past the ER and I changed my mind if going in. Bought maylox? That stuff you drink to kill heart burn. Chest pain went away forv awhile that's why I said no to the ER. Drank that whole bottle. Got home outside with my daughter teaching her how to ride bike. Told her I have to go in. Went inside started pacing the room felt really weird. Went outside and Bam fell. Had my heart attack. Went to ER had that done. Came back home like 5 days later. Slept for 5 months solid. 6 month mArk left side was hurting super bad too, I'm like here we go again. Went in had that fixed. Now I'm good as new.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Redt2go

Redt2go

flower child
Jan 5, 2019
About the same. Doing some reading on here. Getting caught up before I indulge into Breaking Bad. Some good reads here today.
I agree I'm really enjoying the making peace with dying thread

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Dead Meat and Sickman75
StreamingMySuicide

StreamingMySuicide

Loving life!! /s
Nov 21, 2018
I'm on disability. I have had multiple suicide attempts. I remember the person saying something like "You were determined to need it based on having personality disorders and other disorders." or something like this..

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Redt2go
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
I have tried. I have an extensive history. They say I'm not "disabled enough" but I'm disabled. It's stupid and cruel. I paid into that shit, why the fuck am I not entitled to collect it? I've heard that if you appeal, it's generally approved the second time or even the third time but I was so damn depressed even that was too difficult to do.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Beyondajoke, Dead Meat and 2 others
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I have tried. I have an extensive history. They say I'm not "disabled enough" but I'm disabled. It's stupid and cruel. I paid into that shit, why the fuck am I not entitled to collect it? I've heard that if you appeal, it's generally approved the second time or even the third time but I was so damn depressed even that was too difficult to do.

I'm in some online chronic pain groups and from what i've read, you really need a disability lawyer to win if you're younger. You don't have to pay them until you get your backpay, and then they take a percentage of that. I read that it takes some people years and years to get approved.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, VoloFataliDoce, Dead Meat and 3 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
I'm in some online chronic pain groups and from what i've read, you really need a disability lawyer to win if you're younger. You don't have to pay them until you get your backpay, and then they take a percentage of that. I read that it takes some people years and years to get approved.
Thank you for your advice. I'm considering attempting again or applying again. I figured I was just better off dead. God forbid there is change in my pocket or that I have a dime of the same shit that I paid into.

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

Feb 12, 2019
Thank you for your advice. I'm considering attempting again or applying again. I figured I was just better off dead. God forbid there is change in my pocket or that I have a dime of the same shit that I paid into.

Have you applied before? If it was within 90 days (I think), you can just appeal, that way if you win you can collect backpay from the date you applied. If it was over 90 days apply again and when they deny you, get a lawyer. You might want to request your medical files and look over them (if you get a lawyer they will help you). You need a doctor to write exactly how your illness prevents you from doing things in your medical file. Some Drs. take super shitty notes, so it helps to know whats in your file.

stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Have you applied before? If it was within 90 days (I think), you can just appeal, that way if you win you can collect backpay from the date you applied. If it was over 90 days apply again and when they deny you, get a lawyer. You might want to request your medical files and look over them (if you get a lawyer they will help you). You need a doctor to write exactly how your illness prevents you from doing things in your medical file. Some Drs. take super shitty notes, so it helps to know whats in your file.
I have. It was denied in November. It needs to be done within 60 days, which I didn't do. So I'd have to reapply again. My understanding is backpay from the time that I was unable to work until approved. You're right, I will probably need a lawyer to help fight my case.

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

Feb 12, 2019
I have. It was denied in November. It needs to be done within 60 days, which I didn't do. So I'd have to reapply again. My understanding is backpay from the time that I was unable to work until approved. You're right, I will probably need a lawyer to help fight my case.

Well, good luck! I'm going to apply soon and i'm sure it's going to be a long, frustrating, bureaucratic mess.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Dead Meat and stellabelle
TheCrow

TheCrow

Invisible Spirit
Sep 26, 2018
Yeah- it hurt my whole body before and after.
Head to toe. Arms hurt so bad. Then my legs, then my left arm then my right while eveeything else was still hurting. I couldn't poop. Sweating. Tired.
Like an ughhhhhh constantly tired. Didn't know what was going on. My wife drive me past the ER and I changed my mind if going in. Bought maylox? That stuff you drink to kill heart burn. Chest pain went away forv awhile that's why I said no to the ER. Drank that whole bottle. Got home outside with my daughter teaching her how to ride bike. Told her I have to go in. Went inside started pacing the room felt really weird. Went outside and Bam fell. Had my heart attack. Went to ER had that done. Came back home like 5 days later. Slept for 5 months solid. 6 month mArk left side was hurting super bad too, I'm like here we go again. Went in had that fixed. Now I'm good as new.
OH. my god. Jesus, dude. That is crazy and horrible. I am really sorry and glad that you are better now. ❤️

Reactions: Jupiter, Deleted member 4993 and Dead Meat
TheCrow

TheCrow

Invisible Spirit
Sep 26, 2018
This is true.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Dead Meat and WhiteRabbit
L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
In the US it's much easier to get approved for disability for a mental problem, rather than a physical one, believe it or not. The key is to have plenty of documentation from your doctors. You can start the process of applying online and they'll call you to do a follow-up phone interview. I got approved my first time around, without the help of a lawyer and it took less than a year. I also received almost $10,000 of back pay. I say go for it. It's easier than you think and you've got nothing to lose.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Sickman75, Logic and 1 other person
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Well, good luck! I'm going to apply soon and i'm sure it's going to be a long, frustrating, bureaucratic mess.
Thank you. I really hope it goes easier for you and you don't have to fight to get approved.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Redt2go
bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
Would rather die than be disabled

Reactions: Sickman75