snowman626

snowman626

Mage
Jan 28, 2019
joined a gym today and started doing treadmill, a few minutes later i tripped and fell off, a guy on the treadmill beside me helped me turn it off and asked if i was okay and i said "yeah im fine" and went off to do bike.

about 15 mins later i was done and started leaving, passed the same guy who was now sitting down doing weights and he saw me and asked again if i was okay and i said "yeah i'm good" and gave a thumbs up, then i left.

im socially retarded and dont know if this was the part where i was supposed to have said more things, elaborate on my condition, start a little conversation about how im new at the gym, introduce myself, etc. for people with social intelligence tell me whether i appeared antisocial/rude or am i overthinking

• Hugs
Reactions: Final Escape, puppy9, SadSack and 2 others
Relief

Relief

Oct 14, 2019
Personally I think it was a completely reasonable interaction. First, I'm sure it was a bit embarrassing to fall off the treadmill which could naturally lead to a less chatty version of one self. Second, conversations at the gym are the worse. They usually revolve around flirting and analyzing one's body. Third and final, I'm guessing you gave him a little smile or half-smile with the thumbs up which shows you are doing fine but not in a chatty mood (normal given the location). Although if the same happened at the park i wouldn't have the same perspective.

Reactions: Eurus
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
I'm very social. Maybe you could have thanked him for helping you. You didn't have to start a conversation but you definitely could have thanked him for being kind. Maybe talked a little bit. But it's up to you. If you're socially awkward that is ok. I know done people who are very shy and they want to talk but they just don't know how to.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
joined a gym today and started doing treadmill, a few minutes later i tripped and fell off, a guy on the treadmill beside me helped me turn it off and asked if i was okay and i said "yeah im fine" and went off to do bike.

about 15 mins later i was done and started leaving, passed the same guy who was now sitting down doing weights and he saw me and asked again if i was okay and i said "yeah i'm good" and gave a thumbs up, then i left.

im socially retarded and dont know if this was the part where i was supposed to have said more things, elaborate on my condition, start a little conversation about how im new at the gym, introduce myself, etc. for people with social intelligence tell me whether i appeared antisocial/rude or am i overthinking
i tend to overthink a ton as well of my daily interactions, so its not just you.

I feel he asked if you were okay, to of course check up on you as any kind hearted regular person really would after seeing someone fall or just do something in which they may have hurt themselves; anyones first instinct should be in checking up on someone and asking if their okay. perhaps you're overthinking i guess was triggered when he checked up on you for the second time and asked if you were fine. Thats completely normal for sure. i tend to double check on people, more than once to make sure they were fine, and to honestly show the other person that i genuinely care; and wanted them to know that someone cares. him going out of his way the second time when he really didnt have to, shows alot about the person. He couldve just continued his weight training, but he took his time out and checked up on you for a second time. Great person. And i mean, as you said, you walked by him a second time after the first incident; it would be pretty awkward if you guys made contact near eachother for a second time without someone really saying anything lol.

as for social cues, i feel like you did fine with both interactions. Not all of us are talkative, or in the mood in wanting to extend a convo. But i mean, id just i guess whole heartedly thank the person again for reaching out and caring about how i was, perhaps telling him its your first time as a conversation starter if you wanted it to keep going.

You're interactions with this person were normal, and it werent anything "wierd". i wouldve acted as you did. Though, it says alot about the other person for sure. You really didnt do anything, it was more of how the other person came off, and how much they genuinly cared about you're well-being and if you were okay. You really dont meet many people who give two shits about you, even if you fall in public or do anything embarassing lol. but atleast you had someone i guess, who pretty much gave a shit. The smallest things really do matter and go a long way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 14573, SadSack and Eurus
Eurus

Eurus

Everything Must Cease.
Sep 30, 2019
I believe you did fine,and actually,with him checking up on you a second time I believe that may actually open the door for a possible third conversation if you were ever feeling up to it

snowman626

snowman626

Mage
Jan 28, 2019
I believe you did fine,and actually,with him checking up on you a second time I believe that may actually open the door for a possible third conversation if you were ever feeling up to it

a third interaction would be awkward i think, i wish i never fell and nobody talked to me. i even considered going to another location for a few weeks just so i'd be forgotten about and when i go there again i'll be just another guy nobody knows. yeah he was a nice guy but thats what make it awkward, i dont feel like i deserve all the niceness, i just wanna blend in and not stick out.

i think the biggest regret is like the comments above mentioned i should have said thanks for something.

Last edited:
Eurus

Eurus

Everything Must Cease.
Sep 30, 2019
I hear ya,my boss is starting to notice my depression and I don't want her to because I've been considering ctb very soon,and I don't want her to feel a ripple effect but if it happens then it happens,just mentioning it to show that I can come close to understanding how you feel,not trying to say you did anything wrong though

Last edited:
SadSack

SadSack

Keeper of Angst
Oct 3, 2019
As an over thinker yet generally talkative individual I don't see a problem with how you responded given the situation. As it was mentioned above conversations at the gym can be awkward.

I usually work out with friends and don't stray too much in regards to conversing with others. A quick nod or a wave and smile is typically the extent of my acknowledgement of others in passing unless I'm acquainted with them.

Yes a thanks would have been polite but I wouldn't have read you as antisocial or rude because you didn't say it. You were understandably embarrassed and were clearly trying to exit the situation. I think your reassurance and the thumbs up was enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: LegaliseIt! and Eurus