Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
I ask as I've seen some mentioning different websites/etc. But programs like MS Outlook, and I believe even Thunderbird and whatever's on Macs have a built-in delayed mail feature where you set the date and time down to the minute, and it keeps it in the outbox (and I believe locally, so not on their servers), until the time hits. Connect the program to gmail/whatever, set schedule, and it should work. Granted it has to be open, computer can't go to sleep, but that's not a hard change to make.

I was just wondering why people weren't going with that, and instead using third-party websites, that could potentially be monitoring delayed messages for content?

Reactions: realjunes
B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019
Gmail does this. If you have a gmail account just open a new message, and click on the arrow for more options on the "send" button.

I just tested ot and it works perfectly. Timed for one day but you can choose any future time and date. No need to leave your computer or anything on since it's a server side process.

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
Gmail does this. If you have a gmail account just open a new message, and click on the arrow for more options on the "send" button.

I just tested ot and it works perfectly. Timed for one day but you can choose any future time and date. No need to leave your computer or anything on since it's a server side process.

Oh I know some have built-in things, but my thing was whether or not they can be trusted to not 'read' the emails with code to like look for key phrases, and then use their database to auto-call the authorities, or just force the message through as they believe your life is in risk. I mean if not for not wanting police showing up at my house and me having to explain, I'd test to see if they do that or not and just send the message to like my work account or something as a test (and just cancel before the time).

I mean it wouldn't be hard to scan messages for "I'm sorry, it's all my fault, I'm worthless, I can't go on" etc especially since they do read the messages for ads.

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019

Will the content of the message be visible to Google while it's pending? Google isn't exactly too hot when it comes to privacy.

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
Will the content of the message be visible to Google while it's pending? Google isn't exactly too hot when it comes to privacy.

I actually sent a test message using outlook, and I didn't see any traces on gmail until it sent. I mean test if in case, but my "drafts" box was empty. it wasn't in sent box, and didn't see an "outbox". You could always test with a simple message to see/verify. I believe it just keeps it locally, then when the time expires, it treats it like you hit "send" at that moment--just then sending it to their servers.

Edit: just did a delayed test with outlook with a specific subject, tried to search for it, gmail said it wasn't found.... but, gmail's search sucks too at times.

T

Tearygirl

I hate being alone. So please don't leave me.
Dec 1, 2019
Don't they respect privacy in google? I can't imagine they will censor emails not suspected of crime.

N

nw7

Oct 22, 2018
As you mentioned, the computer needs to be open. And also, connected to the internet. There is a risk of losing internet connection for whatever reason. Or, the system restart by itself to update. Or, the program freeze.

I think scheduled emails in gmail is good enough. No need for third-party service. Even if gmail monitor the emails, I don't think they going to inform the LE. This is would be a bad scandal for the company. Unless you're using a third-party plug-in already who is currently reading your emails.

Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
...Granted it has to be open, computer can't go to sleep, but that's not a hard change to make.
I think that's why many people don't use Outlook.

I'm not a techie but the same goes for gmail I believe.
You need to be logged into your account.
With a proggie like Boomerang (extension for gmail) you can log out of your account (change your password, whatever) and the e-mail will still be send.

Edward1

Edward1

Meh!
Sep 18, 2019
Oh I know some have built-in things, but my thing was whether or not they can be trusted to not 'read' the emails with code to like look for key phrases, and then use their database to auto-call the authorities, or just force the message through as they believe your life is in risk. I mean if not for not wanting police showing up at my house and me having to explain, I'd test to see if they do that or not and just send the message to like my work account or something as a test (and just cancel before the time).

I mean it wouldn't be hard to scan messages for "I'm sorry, it's all my fault, I'm worthless, I can't go on" etc especially since they do read the messages for ads.
Gmail wouldn't read your email like that no. Your emails are confidential. Obviously they'd probably have the technology to read them but I think the chances are infinitesimal.

Reactions: Mud.
Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
Gmail wouldn't read your email like that no. Your emails are confidential. Obviously they'd probably have the technology to read them but I think the chances are infinitesimal.
Agreed.
And if you want to be extra careful or you need to use key words that might ring bells, you can always attach a txt. document to the e-mail.

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019

They might not claim to, but as soon as I sent a message to a person asking about a synology drive bay enclosure, I had ads in gmail about it. It was only in the content of the body, similar have happened with other things before. Now maybe they're just doing reverse-up lookups of the parties, but... hard to tell....

Reactions: thepolarbear
N

nw7

Oct 22, 2018
I think that's why many people don't use Outlook.

I'm not a techie but the same goes for gmail I believe.
You need to be logged into your account.
With a proggie like Boomerang (extension for gmail) you can log out of your account (change your password, whatever) and the e-mail will still be send.
Gmail already has scheduled emails built-in. You don't need Boomerang.

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019
They might not claim to, but as soon as I sent a message to a person asking about a synology drive bay enclosure, I had ads in gmail about it. It was only in the content of the body, similar have happened with other things before. Now maybe they're just doing reverse-up lookups of the parties, but... hard to tell....
This is one of the many reasons why I don't trust major tech companies or the American government. If you created an anonymous account and used a VPN, would you be reasonably safe?

Edward1

Edward1

Meh!
Sep 18, 2019
Yes. That's a bot. That's why it's probably not a good idea to write about dildos or butt plugs in a gmail message.
Yes. That's a bot. That's why it's probably not a good idea to write about dildos or butt plugs in a gmail message.
Hang on though, if you write 'suicide' you might start getting adverts for lengths of good quality, tried and tested rope.

Last edited:
Reactions: curtains and Morphosis
Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
Gmail already has scheduled emails built-in. You don't need Boomerang.
Yeah. But I believe you need stay logged in for them to get send.
You can shut down your device, switch off your pc, but if you haven't closed your gmail account before doing so, when someone switches things on again, he/she can go straight to your e-mail box.

But if you don't care about that, you can just use gmail without extension of course.
Personally I want everything to be closed.

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019

yeah, the question is is how smart the bots were programmed to be lol. For google, it'd be so easy for them "oh look, they've bought SN, looked up suicide, and sent email with these keywords" could be red flagged, and instantly sent.

If their bots are smart, certain searches would be flagged, then those emails would be definitely checked by a bot for words. Same applies for others for that matter, unless you have your own mail server.
Yeah. But I believe you need stay logged in for them to get send.
You can shut down your device, switch off your pc, but if you haven't closed your gmail account before doing so, when someone switches things on again, he/she can go straight to your e-mail box.

But if you don't care about that, you can just use gmail without extension of course.
Personally I want everything to be closed.

I actually am leaving my code to my computer on my monitor, desktop will have a list of all username/passwords--and that will be sent to a friend. As well as the code to get into all my phone apps. I've been debating on writing a program of my own, to schedule the sending of a mail, that also checks if the mail has been sent, just to make sure they get sent

This site though? purged from existence on my end.

Last edited:
Reactions: curtains
B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019
Gmail is definitely reading and scanning your emails. This is how they build their predictive text models that let them figure out what you want to say as you're typing it out.

the question is whether or not there are any safeguards in place that flag emails about suicide. I think that is far fetched, and would be unreasonably difficult to program without a huge proportion of false positives. Also, unless you are already a person of interest - to law enforcement - it's unlikely your emails are being checked by anyone.

I tested gmail. As I mentioned above it is server side and does not require you to leave your computer running and your account logged in. I'll definitely be making good use of this simple tool and would encourage others to do the same if they're looking to CTB without being interrupted.

Reactions: nw7
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I did a quick test using gmail's built-in "schedule send".
It seems to work fine. You don't need to stay logged in to gmail or have your computer switched on, etc.

I would not feel happy using a program where you have to stay logged in with the computer on. Too many things could go wrong with a setup like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: nw7
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
This thread explains how to get the "best of both worlds", IE stay secure, but don't rely on having your computer powered on and with an internet connection :
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/sending-delayed-scheduled-messages-goodbye-notes-etc.32532/

A

aramir

Dec 13, 2019

google definitely has bots that read whatever you write/read in order to advertise to you but they wouldn't cross the line away from advertising to doing something as invasive as this, they stand to lose a lot more than they have to gain, it'll bring their privacy policy to attention and that's not good for their brand; corporations aren't going to risk their profits to stop potential suicides.

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
google definitely has bots that read whatever you write/read in order to advertise to you but they wouldn't cross the line away from advertising to doing something as invasive as this, they stand to lose a lot more than they have to gain, it'll bring their privacy policy to attention and that's not good for their brand; corporations aren't going to risk their profits to stop potential suicides.
Some people have had bad experiences with some companies.
eg If you do an "advanced search" on this site for "timecave", from user "TiredHorse", then you'll find some interesting information.....

Personally, I wouldn't want to trust any company, which is why I wrote this :
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/sending-delayed-scheduled-messages-goodbye-notes-etc.32532/