Holacanthus

Holacanthus

Dec 30, 2019
I'm incredibly embarrassed to admit that I don't have a driver's license, only a passport, and since I'm in the States, that means I can't use Coinbase.

Can anyone suggest an easy alternative to Coinbase with that in mind? I do have a passport, not sure if any exchanges will accept them.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I heard something about Monero? It's untraceable?

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I'm incredibly embarrassed to admit that I don't have a driver's license, only a passport, and since I'm in the States, that means I can't use Coinbase.

Can anyone suggest an easy alternative to Coinbase with that in mind? I do have a passport, not sure if any exchanges will accept them.
Perhaps try speaking to coinbase support, and see if there's a way to signup via your passport.
There should be since not everyone drives....

LocalBitcoins or LocalCoinSwap might be an alternative, although not as straightforward as coinbase.
I believe LocalCoinSwap should not require any ID to be uploaded, although I haven't looked into it much (so I could be wrong).
LocalCoinSwap might actually be a good option in terms of being more anonymous, although it would require more time and effort than using coinbase.

Regarding bitcoin, I have this guide :
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/simple-bitcoin-beginners-guide.26742/

Please let us know the outcome, and share any useful tips you discover....

Last edited:
Reactions: eeyore9128
Holacanthus

Holacanthus

Dec 30, 2019
Perhaps try speaking to coinbase support, and see if there's a way to signup via your passport.
There should be since not everyone drives....

I should have specified, they'll take a state ID as well. Don't have one of those.

Thanks for your other info. I don't know anything about LocalCoinSwap or LocalBitCoins but I'll do the research.

LonelyHopelessDude

LonelyHopelessDude

Student
Dec 17, 2019
Only Bitcoins and Ethereum, don't waste your money on other shitcoins

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
@Holacanthus
You wondering how you got on with this ?
Any findings you can share ?

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I should have specified, they'll take a state ID as well. Don't have one of those.

Thanks for your other info. I don't know anything about LocalCoinSwap or LocalBitCoins but I'll do the research.
It seems if you don't have a "state issued" photo id (eg driving licence / passport), then you may still be able to buy bitcoin by signing up to "paxful"
More info :
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/simple-bitcoin-beginners-guide.26742/post-590798

Reactions: Holacanthus
Holacanthus

Holacanthus

Dec 30, 2019
I completely forgot to reply to this! I got in touch with customer service and they let me use my passport to identify on Coinbase. I'm all set.

Reactions: jgm63
N

newagemage

Feb 9, 2020
Alternatively you could try Robinhood, SoFi, Square Cash if you ever encounter trouble again. Sorry the advice is late.

Reactions: Holacanthus and jgm63