Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
It's a funny question, I guess. It's hard to find a tall enough tree with a branch that fits my height (I mean, to make it so there was a space between me and the ground, and also enough space for my hands to not reach out to the branch). So I wonder, would it be possible for me to do a pull-up if the branch was close enough to grip it with my hands? My thought process is that it's not possible if I have no air in my lungs. It can be tested easily in practice. But I want to hear your thoughts, too. Was there ever a case where a person somehow managed to save themselves from the noose with their hands?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's not really about having no air in lungs, it's about constricting blood flow into your brain which causes immediate (within 15-30 secs.) unconsciousness. Once you're unconscious you cannot control your body reactions anymore. Most likely you won't be able to reach the branch to pull your self up - after unconsciousness. Your plan seems kinda like partial. Full is definitely the better option, imo.
Was there ever a case where a person somehow managed to save themselves from the noose with their hands?
I think it can work if you're fast enough within a few seconds or if you've not let go. I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worndown
Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
Your plan seems kinda like partial.
No, as I said, I'm looking for a place where while hung up my body won't touch the ground. The thing is it's not that easy to find a branch that could also allow me to simultaneously hang low enough from the branch to not be able to grip it. That's why I asking. I will obviously look for a place where it's not possible to reach to the branch, but I'm also kinda curious. I expect that I'll definitely try to get out of the noose this way, lol, so I won't give myself any chances
It's not really about having no air in lungs
Well, you can try to do a pull up as it has to be done - breath out when pulling up, and then to try to do it while inhaling and you'll fail.
Well, you can try to do a pull up as it has to be done - breath out when pulling up, and then to try to do it while inhaling and you'll fail
So I imagine, if i hung up myself with some oxygen in my lungs then I have a small chance to do a pull up in the first seconds of the process when I still conscious, if the branch is close enough. So it seems like it's better to do it after an exaltation

Last edited:
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
If you've not read this guide:

C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
I've not had such an experience in my hanging practice. Once I'm putting sufficient pressure on the carotids, I start to feel weak, tingly, and numb in my extremities. I couldn't imagine attempting a pullup at that point. It basically becomes like a full body paralysis for me. If I was doing a full suspension for real, I imagine I'd swing there helplessly until I passed out.

Reactions: Worndown and qw3rty259
Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
I couldn't imagine attempting a pullup at that point. It basically becomes like a full body paralysis for me.
That's an interesting insight. Thanks for sharing.
Once you're unconscious you cannot control your body reactions anymore.
Btw are you saying that those involuntary convulsions/tingling people who hang themselves have throughout the process are happening while a person is unconscious?

Last edited:
C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
I couldn't give you a definitive answer. Based on what I've read in the various hanging threads on this site, consciousness does not last a very long time. It's a matter of seconds. But please do not construe anything I've said as advice, encouragement, etc. I'm just answering based on what I've read as well as my own experience.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes- it's possible. I chatted with someone here who failed hanging because they grabbed either the rope or the branch subconsciously and pulled themselves up. I don't know if they talked about it on the main forum though.

C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
Yes- it's possible. I chatted with someone here who failed hanging because they grabbed either the rope or the branch subconsciously and pulled themselves up. I don't know if they talked about it on the main forum though.
I've never heard of such a thing, but I guess anything is possible. I may end up cuffing my ankles and wrists behind my back to avoid that outcome.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
If you are making a serious attempt, try to bind your hands. Quality is not that important since all you need to do is slow your reaction time a few seconds until you pass out.

Reactions: ctbsd24
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I've never heard of such a thing, but I guess anything is possible. I may end up cuffing my ankles and wrists behind my back to avoid that outcome.

They must have been strong. I can't even do one pull up! Maybe SI makes us strong though.

I suppose they did restrain the hands when they executed people via hanging. Still, they weren't exactly going willingly!

I don't actually know much about it to be honest. My knots are rubbish. If I got the noose right, you can bet I'd tie the wrong knot to the tree. Do you know how likely it is the neck will break in full suspension? I suppose that's the ideal. I wish I wasn't so squemish about hurting myself.