• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Any AFAB people here have luck with hormonal birth control kind of stabilizing things for you? Some people have said it evened out the spikes-and-crashes for them, some people said it made them more depressed. Figured I'd at least give it a try, I guess I'll report back.
Uh I guess I'm also interested in mood/cognition changes people experience from HRT if anyone felt like talking about that.

Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
I took it years ago but I vaguely remember it making me more prone to mood swings.

I was young and took it extremely irregularly though.

Woodnote

Woodnote

Goodbye
Oct 23, 2019
I was put on the pill at a young age to help with my hormones. I was on it for years and I think it did more harm than good. I hope it works for you if you give it a try though. Everyone's different so you might have better luck with it than I did.

Last edited:
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Like, assigned female, wrote it that way to include trans people who are effected by the same stuff.
I imagine taking it *irregularly* would make things even rockier. But yeah, even taking it regularly, I know it makes some people feel worse.
Right now I get about a week every month where I'm way more prone to emotional flashbacks and everything feels way more retraumatizing and I get super desperate to make it stop. So maybe this will calm down that rollercoaster, idk.
Also some people have said the progestin-only minipill has relieved physical cramping and pain for them especially if they have endo. Which I haven't been checked for but I've wondered about.

M

Morphinekiss

Enlightened
Jun 8, 2019
I have pmdd, so yes birth control helped me not go batshit crazy at times. And it helped with my endo

Unfortunately it also caused tumors to grow on my liver and now I'm dealing with that shit. So no more bc.

now I'm just crazy and waiting to die from internal bleeding:pfff:

Woodnote

Woodnote

Goodbye
Oct 23, 2019
Like, assigned female, wrote it that way to include trans people who are effected by the same stuff.
I imagine taking it *irregularly* would make things even rockier. But yeah, even taking it regularly, I know it makes some people feel worse.
Right now I get about a week every month where I'm way more prone to emotional flashbacks and everything feels way more retraumatizing and I get super desperate to make it stop. So maybe this will calm down that rollercoaster, idk.
Also some people have said the progestin-only minipill has relieved physical cramping and pain for them especially if they have endo. Which I haven't been checked for but I've wondered about.

I actually think I'm going to be trying out the mini pill. Before I was on the combined pill. So I'll see if there's any difference with how I feel.

E

End Piece

Student
Oct 4, 2019
Fuck the pill. Took it a few years ago, made me depressed and caused weight gain.

Reactions: Final Escape
angele

angele

gay trans man (he/him)
Nov 20, 2019
I was on birth control briefly before I started HRT and it seemed to help. But it was such a short time span, it's hard to say.
HRT for any gender seems to affect the ways we express and interpret emotion rather than what feelings we receive from the brain (I hope that makes sense). Like, personally, I now tend to respond to negative feelings with more anger than sadness. But I still have the same amount of negativity affecting me. It just manifests differently. I've heard from my transfem friends that it's basically the opposite for them, they react to things with more sadness than anger. But again, same amount of negativity that triggers such a response.
Although I have to say, being on gender-affirming HRT improves mood for trans folk for obvious reasons. So that should be taken into consideration as well.
Feel free to message me about this

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I couldn't tolerate any hormonal birth control which sadly led to abortions because I was failing in the relationship department as well trying to avoid the single motherhood trap. I became very depressed on birth control, constantly crying, weight gain, inability to orgasm or have much libido, symptoms of what might be an oncoming heart attack or stroke, the side effects were just god awful and scary on all of them. I think birth control was intended to fail at higher rates than they want people to believe and that's why the abortion clinics are pretty easy to access.

Last edited: