Naysha

Naysha

Antinatalist+Goth
Jan 13, 2020
I was thinking if I should write it in recovery but it isn't really recovering. I finally returned to my book and started writing again, currently have 8 pages and all are in English (although bit shabby). I wish I could be lucky. I stopped writing in Czech because people here suck, I stopped writing entirely because life sucks.

I returned to it now and I wish I would luck out and wouldn't have to resort to self publish on e-book or somewhere else so no one will notice it. I wish I could end up like J. K. Rowling in terms of notoriety, I don't even be rich from it I just want people to notice it.
But then I start thinking that I am just nobody queer from small country, my English is not bad but definitely not perfect and I do not have any money or persuasion to get my book finished and on top of that it's depressing story - think dark souls meets fairytales and Lovecraft and I don't think even nerds would like it. I hate it when I start to think about that. Now I'll sound selfish and narcissistic but I suck at everything other than my imagination and I think my book is world-building and setting-wise really great and maybe original even (as original as one can get) but I just don't think I will luck out before I ctb.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Largeletters, Sensei and nerve
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
It's so much pressure, isn't it? I've spent the last few years trying to get writing back into my life since it was sorta the only thing I was ever good at. My brain feels like paste most days and organizing thoughts is a challenge, but every couple of months I get a weird burst of writing energy, put down 3000 words or so, and it's like "oh my god I actually still like this."

It's comforting to see somebody else who feels like their creative output just has no commercial or mainstream appeal. When I cut out all the gross, weird, alienating stuff I like writing, caring or even choosing where to go next is a confusing struggle.

The writer of one of my favorite indy series is from Serbia and English is her third language. It's a pretty bleak, depressing story too. And gross! Most people who come across it won't notice or care because it's that niche, but she has fans. People who do care and want to talk about it and write fanfic and ask questions and have in-jokes and all that. I hear people say how happy they are to find a story that speaks to them in a way others haven't. When I was reading your post, I kept thinking about that.

There's that cheesy quote "true art is designed to disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed" and I don't really believe it 100%, but there is truth to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensei
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
I'm a writer too. It requires a tremendous effort to finish stories (I only have one novel complete) and I know how difficult is to find a good creative streaming.
My primary tip for you is: don't search the perfect story, the perfect plot, the perfect characters. The idea is to create the first steps to make a good fiction, or poetry, later. And make sure there will be no interruptions, specially as a compromise with yourself, and I talk to abstain from social network, forums and chat when you are writing.
Remember, the creative writing is a compromise, firstly, with yourself, rather than the imaginary or future readers.

Reactions: Sensei
Naysha

Naysha

Antinatalist+Goth
Jan 13, 2020
It's so much pressure, isn't it? I've spent the last few years trying to get writing back into my life since it was sorta the only thing I was ever good at. My brain feels like paste most days and organizing thoughts is a challenge, but every couple of months I get a weird burst of writing energy, put down 3000 words or so, and it's like "oh my god I actually still like this."

It's comforting to see somebody else who feels like their creative output just has no commercial or mainstream appeal. When I cut out all the gross, weird, alienating stuff I like writing, caring or even choosing where to go next is a confusing struggle.

The writer of one of my favorite indy series is from Serbia and English is her third language. It's a pretty bleak, depressing story too. And gross! Most people who come across it won't notice or care because it's that niche, but she has fans. People who do care and want to talk about it and write fanfic and ask questions and have in-jokes and all that. I hear people say how happy they are to find a story that speaks to them in a way others haven't. When I was reading your post, I kept thinking about that.

There's that cheesy quote "true art is designed to disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed" and I don't really believe it 100%, but there is truth to it.
I am pleased to know there is a published foreigner who writes in English, it's my biggest fear that people will not be willing to read someone whose English is not their native language. I even got reply like that from people from UK on one subreddit regarding writing and it made me slightly frustrated as I have even bigger issue lately to just care and write in my native language - literally no one likes fantasy around here and if they do, it's from foreign writers.