• Hey Guest,

We will never comply with any of OFCOM's demands or any other nations censorious demands for that matter. We will only follow the laws of the land of which our server is located, which is the US.

Any demands for censorship or requests to comply with the law outside of the US will be promptly ignored.

No foreign laws or pressure will make us comply with anti-censorship laws and we will protect the speech of our members, regardless of where they might live in the world. If that means being blocked in the UK, so be it. We would advise that any UK member gets a VPN to browse the site, or use TOR.

However, today, we stand up these these governments that want to bully or censor this website.

Fuck OFCOM, and fuck any media organization or group that think it's cool or fun to stalk or bully people that suffering in this world.

Edit: We also wanted to address the veiled threats made against a staff member in the UK by the BBC in the news today. We are undeterred by any threats, intimination, by the BBC or by any other groups dedicated to doxxing and harassing our staff and members. Journalists from the BBC, CTV, Kansas Star, Daily Mail and many other outlets have continuiously ignored the fact that many of the people that they're interviewing (such as @leelfc84 on Twitter/X) and propping up are the same people posting addresses of staff members and our founders on social media. We show them proof of this and they ignore it and don't address it.They're all just as evil as each other, and should be treated accordingly. They do not care about the safety of our staff members, founders, or administrators, or even members, so why would they care about you?

Now that we have your attention, journalists, will you ever address this? You've given these evil people interviews, and free press.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
In case there are some people who are wondering why I still frequent or visit the Reddit platform despite criticizing, hating, and/or otherwise railing against it, this thread will explain it. I have often criticized Reddit for being paternalistic (one good example being Reddit Cares or whatever that invasive, paternalistic measure that was rolled out years ago to profile and scope out potentially dangerous or 'at risk' users), as well as other uncanny practices on their platform as well as particular subreddits. Beyond all the flak and hate for these negative aspects of Reddit, I still find there are morsels of truth, quality posts (namely by existentialgoof) as well as various communities that align with my beliefs, and I reference those posts in my threads and articles. For example, whenever I find articles or examples of pro-lifers violating one's civil rights, I would use that as an example lambasting and exposing the horrors of such. Alternatively, if I find information that would be helpful or shows a good example of what right to die does for someone (alleviating their suffering), I would post that (the most recent one being from this Reddit thread about someone who successfully got the green light for assisted suicide).

Additionally, outside of SaSu and other stuff, it is still a platform where I would find information that would be helpful for other tasks or activities, and there are also some other good subreddits out there for my purpose as well. As previously mentioned, subreddits like r/therapyabuse, r/antipsychiatry, r/antiwork, to name a few often have really good points that help with whatever I am seeking out and/or at least act as another safe space for other stuff too. Sadly, while the SaSu and TrueSaSu subreddits were banned (which led to the creation of our current forum, SaSu itself back in 2018), that used to be a place where most of us here once found solace and our former safe space. Of course, by then, there are also other subreddits that came up but again, Reddit admins and sitewide policies censored, quarantined, and/or even banned new subreddits that came up. So Reddit once was a platform for free speech and was not as tightly regulated, but later became large and popular, then got regulated to hell and less free, more restrictive. Then again, I don't consider Reddit necessarily a platform of free speech and ideas, but one of particular echo chambers and/or those who wish to have their beliefs validated (or in some subreddits, albeit few, safe spaces). In fact, some of the subreddits and communities I really despise are: r/SW, r/legaladvice, and r/psychiatry to name a few. Those communities are like a hivemind and will ban, censor, and/or remove posts that dissent from them with/without warning.

If I had the means and resources (financial, knowledge, and other ability) to actually have my platform, similar to Reddit but tailored towards SaSu, I would absolutely do that and make it better than what current, present day Reddit is. Of course, throughout time, as ownership, staff, and also popularity grows with any platform, things can change for the better/worse. The original users may be long gone, and then the new users may reshape the atmosphere or vibe of said platform, that is inevitable, but I believe that as long as the core values and tenets are adhered to, then a community will more/less remain close to it's original values. But I digress as this thread is about why despite hating Reddit in general, I still reference or use (link to certain threads or posts) in my threads or talking points.

So in conclusion, while I still despise Reddit, I simply made the conscious decision to not post on there (barring maybe on very specific subreddits that align with me and/or have my vested interests in). However, I still find some useful information that could help with whatever I'm seeking to do. I hope this helps answer or clarify some people who may wonder why despite my heavy criticisms of various content on the platform itself or even the platform's policies itself (and various subreddits), I still continue to use it, but only whenever it is necessary or beneficial to what I aim to do.

• Informative
Reactions: banger12, ijustwishtodie, heavyeyes and 3 others
AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Student
Apr 5, 2024
Lemmy is honestly a fantastic alternative to Reddit, if only it had more users, small communities are basically dead or don't exist due to lack of users.

I used to use Reddit until they cracked down on third-party apps, I'm looking into Mastodon right now.

Most Mastodon instances are strictly moderated though and those that aren't or are free speech absolutist instances don't federate with most other instances so you can't really say anything you want, as much as I would like to discuss unconventional ideas I think I'll keep them here for now, I still prefer Mastodon over other social media for its decentralization and absence of toxic features.

• Informative
Reactions: TAW122, banger12, cowboypants and 1 other person
daley

daley

May 11, 2024

If I had the means and resources (financial, knowledge, and other ability) to actually have my platform, similar to Reddit but tailored towards SaSu, I would absolutely do that and make it better than what current, present day Reddit is. Of course, throughout time, as ownership, staff, and also popularity grows with any platform, things can change for the better/worse. The original users may be long gone, and then the new users may reshape the atmosphere or vibe of said platform, that is inevitable, but I believe that as long as the core values and tenets are adhered to, then a community will more/less remain close to it's original values. But I digress as this thread is about why despite hating Reddit in general, I still reference or use (link to certain threads or posts) in my threads or talking points.
What Reddit features do you miss that SaSu doesn't have?
What would your own platform have to offer?

So in conclusion, while I still despise Reddit, I simply made the conscious decision to not post on there (barring maybe on very specific subreddits that align with me and/or have my vested interests in). However, I still find some useful information that could help with whatever I'm seeking to do. I hope this helps answer or clarify some people who may wonder why despite my heavy criticisms of various content on the platform itself or even the platform's policies itself (and various subreddits), I still continue to use it, but only whenever it is necessary or beneficial to what I aim to do.

I am pretty new here. I wasn't around when /r/SaSu was banned or when SaSu was formed.
I understand the hatred towards reddit, but I don't believe any centralized platform would be able
to host something like SaSu, as long as society views this as a mental health issue
rather than a civil rights issue.

Didn't google also block ash when it hosted Usenet groups? I understand that Discord also blocks self-harm groups.
This isn't an issue specific to reddit. There is little point on hating a specific platform. Its a societal issue.
So @TAW122, I don't think you need to explain yourself that much...

Last edited:
Reactions: banger12 and cowboypants
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I use reddit to see ex muslim posts (as I'm an ex muslim and that subreddit is the only place I found for ex muslims) as well as looking at existentialgoof's posts as he tends to make top tier comments regarding euthanasia and the right to die

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: TAW122 and banger12
banger12

banger12

Former nerd; current burden
Aug 1, 2024
I agree with the sentiment of this thread/post. Reddit ownership, strict moderation, user base and general content is all garbage and it makes me disdain the website as a whole, but there are still gems you can find there. Many communities based around practical, skill based or non-controversial subjects can be great places to find information, ask questions, learn how to do things, or get help that'd be otherwise inaccessible. I find that for intellectual/nerd subjects, whether controversial or not, it can be a mixed bag, although the echo chamber group think bullshit definitely detracts from the value it can offer there, and ofc the irritating user base. One of the features I love that they have though are the sidebar and wikis communities can make for their subs if they so choose. If you find a well developed sub, even if it relates to ideas/perspectives/beliefs that you strongly disagree with, mining their sidebar and wiki could be very fun and helpful. Sucks that most of the website is a mind rotting, over regulated shit show.
What Reddit features do you miss that SaSu doesn't have?
What would your own platform have to offer?

I am pretty new here. I wasn't around when /r/SaSu was banned or when SaSu was formed.
I understand the hatred towards reddit, but I don't believe any centralized platform would be able
to host something like SaSu, as long as society views this as a mental health issue
rather than a civil rights issue.

Didn't google also block ash when it hosted Usenet groups? I understand that Discord also blocks self-harm groups.
This isn't an issue specific to reddit. There is little point on hating a specific platform. Its a societal issue.
So @TAW122, I don't think you need to explain yourself that much...
That's certainly correct. Any big website would run into lots of problems for hosting something like SaSu. Although, in a way Reddit is a special case. There's some nostalgia involved I bet, Reddit wasn't always the website it is today and it used to be way different. Funny enough, free speech and lax regulation used to be core to the websites identity (the exact opposite of what it is today). Plus, there is some hypocrisy too. You'd be shocked by how much depraved and foul stuff that Reddit hosts and even protects sometimes, so it's shitty that something like SaSu gets the boot while we're trying to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAW122
daley

daley

May 11, 2024
I agree with the sentiment of this thread/post. Reddit ownership, strict moderation, user base and general content is all garbage and it makes me disdain the website as a whole, but there are still gems you can find there. Many communities based around practical, skill based or non-controversial subjects can be great places to find information, ask questions, learn how to do things, or get help that'd be otherwise inaccessible. I find that for intellectual/nerd subjects, whether controversial or not, it can be a mixed bag, although the echo chamber group think bullshit definitely detracts from the value it can offer there, and ofc the irritating user base. One of the features I love that they have though are the sidebar and wikis communities can make for their subs if they so choose. If you find a well developed sub, even if it relates to ideas/perspectives/beliefs that you strongly disagree with, mining their sidebar and wiki could be very fun and helpful. Sucks that most of the website is a mind rotting, over regulated shit show.

I guess what SaSu has which roughly corresponds to a wiki are the sticky posts. I really like Wikis though. They can be much better organized.

However, what the wikis on Reddit lack is the participation of the community. In contrast to Wikipedia where anybody can edit, wikis
on Reddit are only for the mods. Perhaps this makes sense for Reddit, I don't know.

Reactions: TAW122 and banger12
banger12

banger12

Former nerd; current burden
Aug 1, 2024
I guess what SaSu has which roughly corresponds to a wiki are the sticky posts. I really like Wikis though. They can be much better organized.

However, what the wikis on Reddit lack is the participation of the community. In contrast to Wikipedia where anybody can edit, wikis
on Reddit are only for the mods. Perhaps this makes sense for Reddit, I don't know.
That's true although I think sometimes that also helps reduce clutter and aid navigability and quality control for those sidebars and wikis. Although I can see tge benefit of community input too.

Also, the reddit pages I use are very different in subject matter than what I use SaSu for.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Lemmy is honestly a fantastic alternative to Reddit, if only it had more users, small communities are basically dead or don't exist due to lack of users.

I used to use Reddit until they cracked down on third-party apps, I'm looking into Mastodon right now.

Most Mastodon instances are strictly moderated though and those that aren't or are free speech absolutist instances don't federate with most other instances so you can't really say anything you want, as much as I would like to discuss unconventional ideas I think I'll keep them here for now, I still prefer Mastodon over other social media for its decentralization and absence of toxic features.
That's interesting and it's something that I could look at when I get around to it or such, not that I plan to lead any groups or start up another community (I don't have the means to do so as of now and mainly just focusing on my own personal exit in the future).

That is true, and I share very similar sentiments as well. I think Reddit has it's place for finding informative and helpful posts for how to's and skill based, practical knowledge for things. I do utilize that aspect of reddit from time to time.

Yeah that makes sense and wiki is generally an online encyclopedia of information for people to reference and look at when they need to look at something in detail (maintained by various users and such). As for wiki being that anybody can edit, I think nowadays there are better controls and mechanisms in place to prevent trolls and misinformation (granted there are still some that slip through but better than when it first came out), such as anti-vandalism measures and also certain pages that require approval before such edits are published live, at least that's my understanding..

Reactions: banger12 and ijustwishtodie
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
r/religiousfruitcake can be pretty fun, you might enjoy it.
I browse that subreddit too and I do like it. I treat it as a second place for ex muslims although I don't use it as much as it's also a place for ex christians too (though the ex christian posts are still good as well)