mtnbeing

mtnbeing

Jun 15, 2024
This year, I started working with a new therapist who is anti-carceral. This is my first time working with an anti-carceral provider, and it's been interesting to see my T respond to my thoughts of suicidality with complete non-reactivity. It got me thinking: If I did have a strategic plan to CTB in January, would my T be willing to offer me end-of-life care as I work through the logistics of dying by suicide?

Welp, I asked them directly. Long story short, their answer was yes (and they admitted the professional risks this would cause them).

For some reason, I thought this news would make me feel elation -- a "FINALLY" of sorts since so many providers are inept at treating suicidal clients. However, I have been feeling anxious -- I've never had the support of a trusted provider for this particular topic, so it's been so weird to receive resources from them on Psychiatric Advance Directives, etc. as I formally plan to end my life. Like, I am aghast that I am receiving support to end my life with dignity because it is so counter to my previous experiences.

Question: Anyone else seeing an anti-carceral T? Any reflections on how this influences you?

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Take good care of your therapist. They are taking risks for you. Before you do anything, think how you can do it so it won't have any negative repercussions for them.
If we want more therapists like that - and we do - we must loook after them.

Reactions: Artemisia and ForgottenAgain