• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am a huge supporter of democracy and I fully believe in it. There were some people in this forum who questioned democracy. According to wikipedia assisted suicide is only legalized in democratic countries. Though not all democracies support assisted suicide.

Physician-assisted suicide is legal in some countries, under certain circumstances, including Austria, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, parts of the United States and all six states of Australia. The constitutional courts of Colombia, Germany and Italy legalized assisted suicide, but their governments have not legislated or regulated the practice yet

I think there is no research whether there is a connection between both. Maybe that is a good thesis for one of those scientists who study suicide forums. (Hi by the way!) Though it kind of correlates.

Here are some of my laymen thoughts. Democracies value human rights (sometimes more sometimes less). The argument a peaceful death is a human right only works in countries where they believe in assisted suicide. One could speculate about the different influences of religions on the legalization and stigmatization but I think I cannot give an informed opinion on that.

Liberalism and individualism is more widespread in Western countries. Maybe the variable democracy is only a confounding variable. And maybe the real connection is between individualism and assisted suicide. I don't know and I have not thought a long time about it.

Though one could say maybe democracies foster individualism and influence the laws indirectly. I don't know.
I still like democracy very much.

However one thing: I am not sure what the regulation in failed state is. Like for example Somalia. Okay well I made a short research. Assisted suicided is punishable there for up to 14 years in prison. Even suicide itself is illegal there. And I had the naive thought when the state does not care about its citizens I mean there would be no such regulations. Okay I am not sure how reliable the last part is. With suicide itself is illegal. I am not sure about the source. If this is true that it is a disgusting cynical joke. I mean there barely is infrastructure and barely a working health care system and then they punish people who attempt suicide. Horrible.

• Love
Reactions: katagiri83 and Escape Artist
katagiri83

katagiri83

Like tears in rain
Jan 4, 2022
Yes, agree with your comparative ideas.