MeowTheFlemishCat

MeowTheFlemishCat

"The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes"
Mar 3, 2023
March 2022 after my ex bestie left to join our old friendgroup I'm ostracized from I decided to end my life (merely the catalyst, my issues are chronic && crippling and they were the last good) by slow hanging.

Cuffing/binding my hands behind my back and throwing myself over the railing in late grandmother's villa.

I mistakenly told the psychiatrist and was thus committed to a ward. Belgium seems to be an outlier as once in the care system the stays are long-lasting and psychiatric system difficult to escape.

The system is setup so the "victim" is monitored for a week -> 3 months -> analysed by a judge -> completely discharged, followed up with (forced) outpatient, repeat 4 month stay.

After the initial 4 months a stalker and affiliate with my old friends took edgy jokes in sole virtual safe space of mine to contact the staff and imprison me again ...

For 8 months I was so sapped, drained, and dismayed by the imprisonment I could barely work on my underlying problems after the court order ran out I actually wanted to stay at the ward to tackle them head-on with renewed vigor but the psychiatrist refused (ironic ^.^).

They dropped me 2023/11/23 outside my late grandmother's now inaccessible villa. I was forced to stay at my mom's tiny home for two months and homeless shelter for one.

I found an appartement 2023/02/07 but because my OCD's modus operandi. I'm not able to recover neither to enjoy what's left of life until my euthanasia (hopefully later this year; legal for mental illness in Belgium)

It's a frustrating agonising hell ...

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: redbathingduck, charon, RainAndSadness and 7 others
mistake22

mistake22

Feb 28, 2023
Sounds horrible. Every chance a human gets to be an asshole they always take it. It just confuses me the amount of discrimination towards ANYTHING. animals, mental illness, ethnicity, nationality, employment status, financial status, religious orientation, sexual orientation, career choices...like people don't get that life is hard because THEY make it hard. I have yet to meet one person on earth who hasn't experienced some extreme cruelty/ mild meanness from somebody else.

With modern tech you would hope life would be easier.

Reactions: AloneInCollege, WaitingToGo and qwerty1969
Shadowlord900

Shadowlord900

Seeker of Darkness
Sep 29, 2022
How ironic that one of the few countries being more advanced in euthanasia laws would have from what sounds like far worse psychiatric care. You have my sympathies and I wish you the best.

Reactions: imlookingforward, AloneInCollege, outrider567 and 1 other person
WaitingToGo

WaitingToGo

Experienced
Feb 18, 2023
I'm surprised, I thought it would be similar to here in the Netherlands. They haven't (yet) put me away which is surprising after what I've told doctors. Seems like each country is different. At least we can get euthanasia here like in Belgium.

Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
It should have been an eval period of 10 days (or sooner depending on the judge scheduling) and if you are unable to convince the judge then it would become 40 days, why did they keep you for 3 straight months? If they did not give you an evaluation after 40 days I'm pretty sure you can sue the institution you were kept in. This is not at all how my experience was. Have you talked to any lawyers?

MeowTheFlemishCat

MeowTheFlemishCat

"The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes"
Mar 3, 2023
It should have been an eval period of 10 days (or sooner depending on the judge scheduling) and if you are unable to convince the judge then it would become 40 days, why did they keep you for 3 straight months? If they did not give you an evaluation after 40 days I'm pretty sure you can sue the institution you were kept in. This is not at all how my experience was. Have you talked to any lawyers?
Great reply, it was indeed 10 days, then 40 days (although I forgot whether this includes the 1st 10 since the entire stay was a miserable blur). The institute in question is "Heilig Hart Ypres".

I felt sidelined during the initial evaluation both by the judge and psychiatrist. Not to mention the humiliating questions by one of the folks related to the court order e.g. whether I had ever had a relationship, whether there was sexual dysfunction, etc
I technically had permission for weekends off but couldn't due to my emotional contamination OCD and other issues arising from proximity to abusive mother. She's my only remaining family besides a few distant cousins and aloof uncles.

• Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck and Interloper
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That sounds so incredibly horrific what you had to endure, it disgusts me how people are tortured in such a way, this just proves that this world really is hell. I do envy those who are able to access legal euthanasia though, as there is nothing like that in my country.