• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
I had an interview scheduled for today. I've been looking for a summer job to make some cash over the summer semester as I wait for the Fall semester (which is my last semester at community college before I transfer, woot woot) to begin. I applied to a few things passively, haven't really been intensively looking as the barrage of rejections and ghosting lowered my morale. Though, one job specifically advertised as a summer job starting at $10 an hour stood out to me. I applied two different times, once on a job posting site, the second on an emailed application. They got back to me and scheduled me for an interview. I interviewed with them, and they liked me as a candidate and offered me the job. I learned I will actually make $12/hour instead of $10, I am pretty much guaranteed a decent amount of hours (basically every weekend will have 12 hour shifts for everyone), and then some hours throughout the week. I will be out in the sun a lot too, which can be a pro and a con tbh lol. At least I'll be making some decent money, which I will spend on treating myself. Initially, I will have to buy some things for the job (bigger lunchbox since my current one is too small, proper clothes, water shoes, etc), which I'll obviously make back.

I'm just very glad I landed the job. The interviewer actually made positive conversation about my degree as well, which is CS, and discussed how she's learned a bit of web development to run the company's website which I thought was interesting! Anyways, I just wanted to share the positive news, I know the long days may suck, but money is cool lol and it beats sitting around all day.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: jaxxon_sunn, set0553, Redleaf1992 and 20 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
Woo to the hoo!

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, whywere, Pluto and 2 others
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
Well done. You will be brilliant at your job.

Good luck

FireFox

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and whywere
JaJu

JaJu

Apr 3, 2024
Congratulations! 🎉 Really happy for you. Despite the challenge of going through rejections, you kept going and finally found a job you're excited for! I noticed staying busy can definitely help with keeping my mind from going too far into the negative space. I hope you have fun at your new job and enjoy treating yourself as a reward!

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and Praestat_Mori
T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
Thank you guys! I appreciate it. Still no update on when I start, but I know my first week there might be hell on earth lol. It's a summer job at a boat type place, I believe they do all kinds of boat rentals since we live close to a lake. I'm probably going to be starting around Memorial Day weekend, and a LOT of people go boating on that day, so I guess we shall see. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I wind up working 3 12 hour shifts in a row (Saturday, Sunday, then Monday, Memorial Day) but at least it will pad my pockets.
Congratulations! 🎉 Really happy for you. Despite the challenge of going through rejections, you kept going and finally found a job you're excited for! I noticed staying busy can definitely help with keeping my mind from going too far into the negative space. I hope you have fun at your new job and enjoy treating yourself as a reward!
Thank you, the constant rejections was really disheartening initially. I'm dedicated to trying to push through this and not be a quitter like I used to be with jobs. I've wanted to on occasions with college but pushing through that I feel has changed my mindset. Also, staying busy helps me as well, my minds been kinda negative recently as I have no school or nothing really stimulating going on, and at least this job will keep me more physically active this summer. A large part of the job is lifting 50-70 lb canoes in and out of the water and loading them in a truck to transport them, but I'll always have one person helping.

I hope I can enjoy it and it's halfway to a more active city (if you've read my other posts, not sure if you have, but I live in a rural city and there's nothing to do), so I could even go there after a day at work and find something to do :) Thank you for the congrats!

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: whywere, Praestat_Mori and JaJu
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Well done.
If I may give you some advice, do all that the job requires, and then do a little more. Probably nobody will say anything, but they will notice. It will stand you in good stead if you want another job with them in the future or if they ever talk about you with other prospective employers. A good reputation is a valuable thing to have.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, ThatStateOfMind, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
Congrats! You were really so lucky to get such a nice job then! :D I didn't even know how bad it was until today tbh~ :( Like I've been infuriated to hear that the one I really wanted and applied for like a month and a half finally rejected me~ :/ So now, I have to scramble and spam out my application to a bunch of places! >_< aaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, ThatStateOfMind, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
JaJu

JaJu

Apr 3, 2024
Thank you guys! I appreciate it. Still no update on when I start, but I know my first week there might be hell on earth lol. It's a summer job at a boat type place, I believe they do all kinds of boat rentals since we live close to a lake. I'm probably going to be starting around Memorial Day weekend, and a LOT of people go boating on that day, so I guess we shall see. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I wind up working 3 12 hour shifts in a row (Saturday, Sunday, then Monday, Memorial Day) but at least it will pad my pockets.

Thank you, the constant rejections was really disheartening initially. I'm dedicated to trying to push through this and not be a quitter like I used to be with jobs. I've wanted to on occasions with college but pushing through that I feel has changed my mindset. Also, staying busy helps me as well, my minds been kinda negative recently as I have no school or nothing really stimulating going on, and at least this job will keep me more physically active this summer. A large part of the job is lifting 50-70 lb canoes in and out of the water and loading them in a truck to transport them, but I'll always have one person helping.

I hope I can enjoy it and it's halfway to a more active city (if you've read my other posts, not sure if you have, but I live in a rural city and there's nothing to do), so I could even go there after a day at work and find something to do :)

Ooh let's see:

- Padding the pockets
- Staying busy/keeping mind stimulated and active
- Getting lots of sunshine near the water
- Lifting 50-70lbs = getting physically fit and stronger
- People helping/working as a team = opportunities to make new friends!
- Closer to active city to enjoy and treat yourself afterwards

🏆

Thank you for the congrats!

Absolutely! I'm excited for you and wish you the best! 👍

Congrats! You were really so lucky to get such a nice job then! :D I didn't even know how bad it was until today tbh~ :( Like I've been infuriated to hear that the one I really wanted and applied for like a month and a half finally rejected me~ :/ So now, I have to scramble and spam out my application to a bunch of places! >_< aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Aw sorry to hear that—that's a bummer! I did apply to the one I wanted to work for and got it, but it ended up being completely different from what I had expected. :ahhha: I hope you'll be able to find and land one that you're excited for. Best wishes!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: whywere and ThatStateOfMind
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Well done! Good luck! :heart:

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and ThatStateOfMind
T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
Well done.
If I may give you some advice, do all that the job requires, and then do a little more. Probably nobody will say anything, but they will notice. It will stand you in good stead if you want another job with them in the future or if they ever talk about you with other prospective employers. A good reputation is a valuable thing to have.
Absolutely. I want to leave a good impression. If I need a reference, this will be my only one. I have previously left companies with little to no notice so I don't have good references. Also, if I can't land a summer internship next summer in my field, I could return there.
Ugh I definitely get the annoyance that you're dealing. Hopefully my situation shows you that you can find something, it may just take a while :)
Ooh let's see:

- Padding the pockets
- Staying busy/keeping mind stimulated and active
- Getting lots of sunshine near the water
- Lifting 50-70lbs = getting physically fit and stronger
- People helping/working as a team = opportunities to make new friends!
- Closer to active city to enjoy and treat yourself afterwards

🏆
Definitely some pros. I could definitely use the money and the opportunities to keep busy. I'll get more than enough sunshine, so I will buy some sunscreen. I think the job will also definitely help me get stronger. Thank you for the kind words, and the list, really puts things into perspective and makes me even more excited to start this job!
Well done! Good luck! :heart:
Thank youuuu! :)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Linda, jar-baby, LaVieEnRose and 2 others
T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
Just an update! Didn't feel like making a whole new post since its so recent and the thread name is still relevant.

I reached out to my boss and she said I should be starting sometime mid-next week, so I'll definitely be working before Memorial Day weekend, a busy time for the business, which likely means decent hours for me, which then correlates to more money! Sucks because my family is having a Memorial Day cookout that I'll have to miss, which is like the first ever cookout I'm missing lol. However, I try to keep my head up with he positives, primarily that assuming I work 12 hours on the day of the cookout, I'll be making decent money while the cookout is going on and I can always see if they'll save me a plate that I can grab after work!

I also bought the last bit of stuff I need today, swim trunks and new swim shows (the previous swim shoes were too large). All in all, a pretty lame update, but it's my way of coping with the nervousness I feel about starting soon 😬

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, Linda, jar-baby and 2 others
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
I'm sure you'll do great. Congrats!

• Hugs
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind and Praestat_Mori
T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
Got told I start on Thursday. With it being Tuesday, I'm insanely nervous for training on Thursday. It's a short day, 6 hours. No clue what will be covered in the training, but I am SUPER nervous. I'm just hoping it goes smoothly and is relatively enjoyable for the summer (I say relatively because it's still work, probably gonna have some shitty days)

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, Linda, LaVieEnRose and 1 other person
unrest

unrest

Jun 3, 2023
congratulations! landing a job is a huge accomplishment. you got this!

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
congratulations! landing a job is a huge accomplishment. you got this!
Thank you! Hopefully!
That's a lot... Try not to burn yourself out.
I know, but luckily this is just a summer thing. I'm honestly tired of doing nothing so that's why I'm more inclined to do this, plus it gives me the funds that I need may need over the next two semesters after summer.

• Love
Reactions: unrest and LaVieEnRose
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
I hope you have a good first day tomorrow. Take your time and be thorough and remain teachable throughout.

• Hugs
T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
I hope you have a good first day tomorrow. Take your time and be thorough and remain teachable throughout.
I finished the day, it was exhausting lol, and this was only 5 hours. They tried to keep us busy today because there wasn't much to do, had us pulling weeds majority of the day.

I feel a bit bad, I am a rather small guy both in weight and height, and I was the smallest there. The canoes weigh about 10-15 lbs less than me and everyone could lift them on their own but me. Luckily the majority of the job will have me paired up with people, so I'm not required to lift it on my own, they did say they were just preparing us in case we do, which hopefully never occurs because it ain't happening lol

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
You will be GREAT and congrats! So, uplifting to hear about you, really made my day.

Have a fun summer and money to boot, wonderful!

Walter

• Love
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
I finished the day, it was exhausting lol, and this was only 5 hours. They tried to keep us busy today because there wasn't much to do, had us pulling weeds majority of the day.

I feel a bit bad, I am a rather small guy both in weight and height, and I was the smallest there. The canoes weigh about 10-15 lbs less than me and everyone could lift them on their own but me. Luckily the majority of the job will have me paired up with people, so I'm not required to lift it on my own, they did say they were just preparing us in case we do, which hopefully never occurs because it ain't happening lol
It's okay. Your size wasn't exactly a secret so if they had felt you were not big enough you wouldn't have been hired.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind and whywere
T

ThatStateOfMind

Elementalist
Nov 13, 2021
It's okay. Your size wasn't exactly a secret so if they had felt you were not big enough you wouldn't have been hired.
True, I didn't think about it like that. Anyways, maybe it'll get better with time. Maybe I'll do a little better tomorrow.
You will be GREAT and congrats! So, uplifting to hear about you, really made my day.

Have a fun summer and money to boot, wonderful!

Walter
Thank you! Thinking about the money is definitely a motivator.

• Love