• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
I keep seeing people talk about organ donation lately, and it's surprising how many people don't know how it works. The reason organ donation is so rare is because the body has to be kept on a ventilator until the organs are harvested. If you die before you are put on a ventilator, oxygen stops moving through your body & cell death begins. Organs that have begun to die cannot be transplanted. You cannot CTB & then be placed on the ventilator after. Really the only thing that may be donated if your body isn't already on support when you die is your corneas and some tissues. However, in the majority of jurisdictions, an autopsy is required when suicide is suspected as the cause of death, even if it seems obvious what happened. This further bars you from donating even your corneas & tissues because of the length of time it takes for an autopsy to be done. There's really no practical way for any of your organs to be donated if you want to CTB

• Informative
Reactions: Skathon, psp3000, Forever Sleep and 13 others
lacrimosa

lacrimosa

Student
Jul 1, 2024
Interesting... Thanks for the information!

What about if you die of electrocution in a bathtub full of ice and call the authorities before you CTB? Then, I think organ donation is still on the table... Not a recommendation in any sense but merely a hypothetical...

N3UR0T1C

N3UR0T1C

CTB Today
Jul 13, 2019

What about if you die of electrocution in a bathtub full of ice and call the authorities before you CTB? Then, I think organ donation is still on the table... Not a recommendation in any sense but merely a hypothetical...
No, that's going to cause a ton of organ damage. Also, you still gotta get an autopsy which precludes organ donation.

Reactions: Skathon
lacrimosa

lacrimosa

Student
Jul 1, 2024
No, that's going to cause a ton of organ damage. Also, you still gotta get an autopsy which precludes organ donation.
Damn, I totally ignored that part of the original post. My bad...
I was thinking of the movie Seven Pounds...

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024

Yeah like N3UR0T1C said, this would cause organ damage & the autopsy would make you unable to donate organs. It also doesn't matter how quickly the authorities reach you. You could CTB in a hospital and still not be able to donate organs bc your body needs to be on support BEFORE you die

D

danter0id

Oct 20, 2023
this is true for some methods, certainly for any poisoning and anything where you aren't found until well after irreversible cardiac death... but when I worked for an OPO, we actually had tons of donor cases that were self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

• Informative
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
Honestly? Brutally honestly? I probably would feel guilty for saving someone's life when I genuinely believe that life is bad, especially after transplantation when you're in constant fear and pain.

Reactions: escape_from_hell
H

hematomatema

Feb 29, 2024
this is true for some methods, certainly for any poisoning and anything where you aren't found until well after irreversible cardiac death... but when I worked for an OPO, we actually had tons of donor cases that were self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Some poisonings work as well, depending on the particular substance - while I was looking into my method, I found an article about a kidney transplant that was done after a successful suicide attempt using my method. I think there's less of a chance and it might depend on where you live but it doesn't seem as if you're automatically exempt from organ donation.

• Informative
D

danter0id

Oct 20, 2023
Some poisonings work as well, depending on the particular substance - while I was looking into my method, I found an article about a kidney transplant that was done after a successful suicide attempt using my method. I think there's less of a chance and it might depend on where you live but it doesn't seem as if you're automatically exempt from organ donation.
that's so interesting! I'm surprised a transplant surgeon took that one - usually they're INSANELY picky about which organs they take and don't. I never saw a transplant go thru from a poisoning from any non-opioid substance, nor did I even see one make it to the "donor case" stage, but could be my OPO's policies were stricter.

• Informative
Reactions: Skathon and lacrimosa
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
Your can't donate your body to medical research if you commit suicide either (in the UK anyway). There's actually a shit tonne of paperwork to complete if you want to donate to a medical facility - and they have very strict acceptance criteria.

Reactions: ferrie
ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Do you know what organs were collected in these cases? I'm assuming the patient initially survived the gunshot wound? Otherwise it was my understanding that only the corneas and soft tissue would be viable

D

danter0id

Oct 20, 2023
Do you know what organs were collected in these cases? I'm assuming the patient initially survived the gunshot wound? Otherwise it was my understanding that only the corneas and soft tissue would be viable
"survived" in the sense that pt achieved ROSC, yes. for one I remember off the top of my head, kidneys, liver, heart went. and ofc tissue went also (corneas, soft tissue, bone)

• Informative
Reactions: Skathon and ferrie
ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Successful Liver Transplantation After Neurologically Determined Death Donation Following Sodium Nitrite Poisoning.

This case works because the patient was brain dead while receiving supportive care. Though I am surprised that no autopsy was required despite admitting to sodium nitrite poisoning. In my jurisdiction, autopsies are performed for nearly all suicide cases
There's clearly cases where organ donation is possible in the event of a suicide, so I'll admit that the premise of my original post is wrong. In my jurisdiction it's unheard of so I assumed that would hold true, but that's obviously not always the case! Glad people fact checked me. Definitely worth looking into the rules around organ donation in your area. I will stand by saying that I don't think you can reliably expect to donate organs if you plan to CTB. Even in the case reports shared here, a different transplant surgeon might not have accepted the organs, and in some jurisdictions autopsies are required for suicides. Mileage will definitely vary on if your organs can be accepted. I also think the goal for many people is not to be found to reliably ensure death which also lowers the probability of organ donation. I think the overall take away should be that organ donation in the event of a suicide is possible but likely very rare

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathon, Ash and Talvikki
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I suspect we could if we had access to assisted suicide. Another good reason to my mind to legalise and regulate it.

Reactions: ferrie