oxymoron

oxymoron

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2019
Why are we still here? Why doesn't life end? Why's this so difficult?

Reactions: Lennox, DoneWithThis and Laststop
Laststop

Laststop

Experienced
Jul 9, 2019
Why are we still here? Why doesn't life end? Why's this so difficult?
I see this as difficult to answer as answering what the meaning of life is. I mean, answering it if you're a real, thoughtful, and honest person who speaks with thinking deeper than a puddle. Ask the meaning of life and you'll get a whole lot of answers from people who see things from their own simple point of view, and/or spout BS to try and look wise. More to your question: I think we are animals whose minds developed needs other animals don't have. Needs for meaning that are so strong we go off on all kinds of strange and crazy paths in search of answers and purpose. And, as there are none, other than what we give ourselves, we have problems. Things fall in and out of favor, and morph, as we avoid the truth because we can't just survive and live in the moment like other animals do. We're not make that way. And as our technological advancements have allowed us to communicate so quickly and freely, we have torn down the facades that kept things relativly static and homogenious for long periods of time. Now, we still have the needs for meaning, but now many of us are finding nothing. So maybe the question comes down to the individual. Maybe the right questions are, why am I still here? Why don' t I end my life? Why is it so difficult? I find myself asking this recently, and I don't have a good answer.

• Love
Reactions: MakyMy and DoneWithThis

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I don't think I would have trouble with existing if I were to lead insignificant/purposeless/meaningless but enjoyable life. I thought that maybe I'm not behaving fully reasonable because I'm still alive, but actually i don't know whether I would be better off dead because I have nothing to compare. It's like choosing the bigger one between defined and undefined values. I do believe that the closest thing to death in terms of enjoyability is something that doesn't have any good or bad feelings -- of zero value...

I have no idea why do I care about enjoyability of life, or why would I consider life to be unworthwhile compared to unlife in the first place, or why do I want to avoid unenjoyable/undesirable/unsatisfactory/painful things. Kinda funny, aren't pain-pleasure and emotional (same purpose but more complex, I guess?) systems are supposed to keep me (us) alive? Because some of us believe/think that dead don't experience pain and emotions can as well drive to suicide. But survival instinct supposed to take care of it anyway, right?

But maybe it's not the only stopping factor; something also prevents from even trying, but it doesn't stop me when I'm emotionally driven enough. I can't think of any similar situation other than confronting bad habits, so it may be them, instincts and habits. Like hard and soft programming, perhaps?

Some say that it is hard to execute even (presumably) painless/easy/secure methods (like n, sn, some artery suspension, or what not) because SI still gets triggered. Whatever it is, it may read the rational brain output, and kick in when any meaningful danger to life is perceived, so you can't trust rational brain in that sense, but you have to, if you hope for predictable and desired outcome... I don't know what kind of trick we can pull off... Use the brain to organize the plan --> somehow turn the rational brain off partially (enough not to perceive life threat, but not enough to follow the plan?) --> follow through the plan? Or wait for the terror of flames to occur spontaneously? Something in-between?

Good thing (I hope) that our brains are going to decay eventually, to the point of losing some of undesired functions/functions presumably responsible for distress with living. (Think and interpret stuff. I assumed that's what you meant by the end of life.)

We are here because we are well-constructed/skillful/fortunate at living and preserving, I guess. Those who weren't as good at living aren't living. I don't know why is that; maybe some of us are barely good, somewhere on the borders of living realm, marginals. (Ha, ha.)

Reactions: shelledone, irrelevant_string and DoneWithThis
oxymoron

oxymoron

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2019
I see this as difficult to answer as answering what the meaning of life is. I mean, answering it if you're a real, thoughtful, and honest person who speaks with thinking deeper than a puddle. Ask the meaning of life and you'll get a whole lot of answers from people who see things from their own simple point of view, and/or spout BS to try and look wise. More to your question: I think we are animals whose minds developed needs other animals don't have. Needs for meaning that are so strong we go off on all kinds of strange and crazy paths in search of answers and purpose. And, as there are none, other than what we give ourselves, we have problems. Things fall in and out of favor, and morph, as we avoid the truth because we can't just survive and live in the moment like other animals do. We're not make that way. And as our technological advancements have allowed us to communicate so quickly and freely, we have torn down the facades that kept things relativly static and homogenious for long periods of time. Now, we still have the needs for meaning, but now many of us are finding nothing. So maybe the question comes down to the individual. Maybe the right questions are, why am I still here? Why don' t I end my life? Why is it so difficult? I find myself asking this recently, and I don't have a good answer.
Life is unjust.