T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
I'm thinking about making a game for steam about suicide. I'm not sure the ends and outs, but maybe something like a basic choice your adventure style.

I want the player to make their own world. Like where they answer some questions about their real life, and the game makes a world similar to what they answered. Where the main person faces a problem, and one of the solutions is offing themselves.

Would I be wasting my time if I was to aim to make a living wage off the sales, or does this sound interesting to some of you?

What would you like to see out of the game?

Reactions: Zer0
Starcitty

Starcitty

Cloud
Jan 6, 2020
There's actually a japanese RPG game named "Yume Nikki" where you explore the surrealist dreams of a young woman named Madotsuki. The entire game has a haunting vibe to it and it's a very unique game. At the end of the game she jumps off her apartment balcony and kills herself.

It has a cult following and multiple fangames inspired from it (It's even on steam and has a 3d remake). So yes it's very much possible.

• Love
Reactions: Kira, OreoWellington, Zer0 and 3 others
Zer0

Zer0

Nem sempre se pode ser Deus
Sep 14, 2018
I don't know if you could make a living out of it but i'd love to play a game like that

BabyYoda

BabyYoda

F*ck this sh!t I'm out
Dec 30, 2019
End Roll is an RPG game made by Segawa which contains suicide as well. Not gonna say where in particular lol. It's about this boy named Russell who is made to take part in this experiment called Happy Dream where he goes on a journey through his dreams. The purpose of the experiment is to see if he can feel guilt for the crimes he has committed. If he doesn't, he gets the death penalty.

I imagine the setting of your idea to be a typical urban city where everyone is overwhelmed with the noise and their dislike of their own jobs. The main character could probably start as a high schooler up to working age for a longer story. They could have different problems that take a turning point in his life such as breakups, financial issues, academics, loss of jobs, and death of a loved one. Each chapter or part needs to be intense in order for the player to remain engaged. Like show in detail the emotions of the characters, and make sure to portray them in a way that you'll still be able to empathize with them even if you have not gone through something similar. The one asking the main character questions could be their subconscious/god/some mysterious being/whatever, perhaps even discussing the taboo of suicide and what's stopping the MC from doing it. Only the MC can see and talk to this character. If the MC agrees to finally commit suicide, the being could assist them in achieving a painless and instant death.

Most of the other characters would be anti-suicide, since the majority of humanity frowns upon it. One character might be a devoted religious person who pushes the MC into the suicide is a sin idea. Another can be a good friend who does their best to support the MC as much as possible, even if that means destroying herself. Try to make the characters resemble the reality of people.

I think the key here is making the player feel the despair of the characters, as if they were the ones experiencing it. It would make them want to see if the MC will really resort to giving up.

Welp, that's just my idea. But be warned that with this idea your game could become controversial. Good luck

T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
Well, what I want to do is reflect reality. Like Sims but more real. And as far as the location. I want that to be more up to the answers the player gives. Like I can imagine one of the play through is a coal miner finding out he won't have a job soon, he is too old to learn any skills that would pay the same, but he is too far from retirement. So with this he could go into a dark place and after a bit the only answers is to off himself, and leave his wife and kids to fend for themselves. That or do illegal activities. Which going down that rabbit hole it could end up with his family dies due to gang violence, and he ends up in jail.
That or he can try to study for a new skill, but with this there is a large chance they will go bankrupt and the entire family lives on the street due to the "learn to code" being bs since there isn't any coding jobs outside of exact areas.

I believe in reality, many choices are just about making the best out of a bad situation. And this means no matter the choice. Someone gets hurt. I loved this about games like the witcher. Where at times when you think you're making a good choice, you aren't.

Reactions: irrelevant_string and BabyYoda
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
There's a handful of games about suicide. Suicide Guy is one and it's rather popular at that. They've made two so far and it's sold many copies.

I encourage you to follow your passion though. As an Indie game developer myself I'll warn you of a few things first. If this is the first game you've ever made it's going to be very time and labor intensive. It's also extremely hard to make a living wage in the industry unless you work full time and have a decent portfolio.

lowres

lowres

Scum
Feb 9, 2019
I've always thought of using suicide as a game mechanic in a game alongside something like time jumping similar to majoras mask.
I havent fleshed it out but for example you could use methods of suicide of varying lethality to access powers, a different world or ghostish form that helps you access information or items to complete objectives (kinda like persona 3/majoras mask time mechanic mixed kinda??????).

Say a gunshot is a sure kill and the easiest to do but you'll need to plan out what your going to do once you revert time (ex you'd have to memorize information to use in dialogue or a code to open a door). and say something else that leaves you clinically dead but with chance of resuscitation can be used less frequently but may be more convenient if you dont want to revert time, but with the con of a limited amount of time you can interact with the world in this state before you either bring yourself back somehow or go to a complete death and you are forced to revert anyways.

the game would have time limits but it wouldn't be as unforgiving as majoras mask, wasting time would just net you more consequences (ex: important characters dying or something to keep you invested in trying to spend less time)

I think it would be cool as the game could possibly be less focused on combat and maybe more on puzzle and rpg elements. I hope this kinda makes sense

Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
Yes. I'd keep it simple. Perhaps a journey that tells the story of their ctb, what lead them there and what made them the person they were. So a psychological game in a sense.

Reactions: Thatdude
Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
The Cat Lady

IT's on Steam now. Can't remember if she does do it in the end, or if encounters make her change her mind (I own it though)

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It depends on how the game presents the topic of suicide. As for having the choice to live or die, yes that would be an good feature to have as that allows the player to choose his/her own fate, whether to continue living (and possibly recovery) or dying (suicide or other causes).