Votes: 13 44.8%
  • It's pointless too.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
Got reminded of the movies 'Cast Away' and 'Into the Wild' and wondered if going off-grid out in nature and resorting back to becoming semi hunter-gatherers like for most of human history and learning to be self-sufficient with of course a mixture of modern conveniences would actual help in some way? But then again thinking about all the hardships, struggles and what ifs just to keep things running smoothing through tougher conditions and unpredictability would probably make me want to die even more and how it wouldn't change how I view life as already hard and depressingly pointless as is, plus I'm lazy. Also wondering if it's even 'the' one lifestyle that's healthy for humans and whatnot. And I know it won't help with any given mental illness, physical pain, etc. or how in today's world most land is 'owned' and such, but in any case do you think regressing to such a lifestyle would make any difference if it was possible for you? Apologies if I'm not making any sense with what I'm trying to say, maybe I've watched too much Alaskan Bush people lol.

Reactions: azucaramargo and TheDevilsAngel
TheDevilsAngel

TheDevilsAngel

LetMeFree
Apr 22, 2019
I feel it would actually work but only short term....after awhile i think id just be feeling the exact same....

Reactions: Circles
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Maybe it would help, Especially with many animals.

Reactions: Facçãolua and Circles
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
I feel it would actually work but only short term....after awhile i think id just be feeling the exact same....
I think so too. I can't imagine doing it for too long having to worry more about stability and feeling at my worst at the same time.

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel, HGL91 and Baskol1
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
While there are some benefits being off the grid such as not having to rely on the modern infrastructure, it does make basic needs more challenging to be met. I could imagine having to grow my own food, provide my own drinking water (including ways to purify it and what not), and if I ever get sick or ill, then there is not modern medicine to cure it and could end up dying of a horrible illness. In short, the costs still outweigh the benefits.

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel, HGL91 and Circles
CareOfCell44

CareOfCell44

Jul 26, 2019
To do this by myself would get lonely after a while, but with a small community its seems more likely to work over a prolonged period of time if interactions between members doesn't go south. I've dreamt of just leaving society and living of the land for years, I've spend a lot of time outdoors and am very familiar with survival skills (which is ironic that I'm on this site lol) and know I would be able to do it (at least phycially). The sheer freedom would be a tremendous relief, but all the land in modern parts of the world is either owned by someone, is a nature reserve, or is to close to modern cities or not large enough to have natural and reoccurring resources necessary for human survival. Not to mention it is illegal to do.

Reactions: Circles and Baskol1
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
For me personally no. Any benefit gained like being around nature, animals etc is more than offset by the difficulties that would come with having to deal with EVERYTHING without support, and being alone.

Reactions: azucaramargo, burnedCookie and Circles
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Wizard
May 14, 2018
I want to live off grid. A few factors stop me. I'm not a vegetarian but I couldn't hunt and kill furry creatures. I don't like guns. I'm not handy. I'm lazy. Seems like the majority of cabin dwellers are in hillbilly areas. I would want to do it in a different country all together. Judging by /r/offgridcabins it seems like a YouTube channel is the second requirement to live off grid.

Reactions: Circles