Bot

Bot

bpd is ruining my life
Aug 8, 2021
I think the majority of people have dreams, even suicidal people like us.. but if someone experiences real suffering and desperation, you begin to realize that even with all the work and dedication you cant reach your dreams and goals.. i had not a too bad childhood, i was ambitious and and full of energy even though it was not easy though.. i felt like i could reach every goal and have a happy life, but at some point, in puberty i think, my life turned upside down, no motivation, no energy, but many health issues that i simply couldn't resolve till now, i think some people just loose the ability to succeed in life, its not really our fault..

i think everyone has the goal of succeeding in life, it's deeply imbedded into us, and if we had a true chance, most of us would have achieved this. i truly think that some people are just cursed to live a life that is almost impossible to turn around.. many things are just out of our control..
i think the only thing some people are truly able to do is just observe life, some are just slave to our emotions and unfortunate life circumstances and events..
i know many people might disagree, they might claim if you truly want to achieve something, with enough hard work you can achieve anything..

i think if someone suffers from crippling depression or any other health issue that impacts our life badly enough, our capability to control life drastically decreases.. pushing a burned out or even suicidal person enough will just make matters worse and will lead to more issues.. sometimes it seems like people don't understand this or don't even care.. everyone has their limits, life is about limitations and im sure its more about genetics, environment and life events that shape who we are. sure we can choose how we act and react, but a child who gets born with cancer or any other horrific disease has very limited potential, same goes with invisible health issues but sadly, till today, many people are blind to it..

• Hugs
Reactions: Fish Face, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, it's_all_a_game and 14 others
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
I've seen similar mindsets, as well as blaming the person who doesn't get better from therapy "for not doing the work". It's an appeal to just world. There's a reason why the secret is a best seller despite the law of attraction being pseudoscience.

Reactions: Fish Face, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Snake of Eden and 4 others
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
People who say this are full of shit. Usually they enjoy advantages and privileges others don't have. But they don't want to admit luck had anything to do with their success/happiness.

• Love
Reactions: g0921, Fish Face, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 19 others
Bone

Bone

Sad Sack
Jul 29, 2021
yea with enough dedication and work ill have a successful ctb attempt. i worked for 10+ years in one career and bipolar robbed me of all the progress. whoever says this stuff is clueless and has had an easy time. good for them i guess. but fuck off.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fish Face, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Callie Arcale and 17 others
Deadweight

Deadweight

It's spilling out of me
Nov 10, 2021
I've read a lot of self-help written by high achievers, some who have pulled themselves up from poverty and mental illness to soaring heights. None of it has helped me, and I've had periods of consuming nothing but motivational content and 'believed in the process' and all of it was fine until it hit my actual limitations and all fell apart.

Is the solution out there? I don't know, but I know sure as shit it's not in the 'grindset' for me. It's something more complicated, and I can't figure it out.

I'm going to start rambling here, but there's nothing I want more than to have a good life, to work and be competent at my work. To be useful. I want it like air, but I'm stuck under a layer of ice I can't seem to break through. It's so close yet I just can't break through.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, MeltedJello, Lostandlooking and 3 others
L

LoveTakesManyForms

Student
Sep 9, 2021
I think the majority of people have dreams, even suicidal people like us.. but if someone experiences real suffering and desperation, you begin to realize that even with all the work and dedication you cant reach your dreams and goals.. i had not a too bad childhood, i was ambitious and and full of energy even though it was not easy though.. i felt like i could reach every goal and have a happy life, but at some point, in puberty i think, my life turned upside down, no motivation, no energy, but many health issues that i simply couldn't resolve till now, i think some people just loose the ability to succeed in life, its not really our fault..

i think everyone has the goal of succeeding in life, it's deeply imbedded into us, and if we had a true chance, most of us would have achieved this. i truly think that some people are just cursed to live a life that is almost impossible to turn around.. many things are just out of our control..
i think the only thing some people are truly able to do is just observe life, some are just slave to our emotions and unfortunate life circumstances and events..
i know many people might disagree, they might claim if you truly want to achieve something, with enough hard work you can achieve anything..

i think if someone suffers from crippling depression or any other health issue that impacts our life badly enough, our capability to control life drastically decreases.. pushing a burned out or even suicidal person enough will just make matters worse and will lead to more issues.. sometimes it seems like people don't understand this or don't even care.. everyone has their limits, life is about limitations and im sure its more about genetics, environment and life events that shape who we are. sure we can choose how we act and react, but a child who gets born with cancer or any other horrific disease has very limited potential, same goes with invisible health issues but sadly, till today, many people are blind to it..
"With enough dedication and work you can achieve anything"... A phrase for people who have more agency than others, either by birth or luck, to justify their having more money/comfort than said people.
If people don't achieve their dreams it's because they haven't tried hard enough, not because they were bashed around the head so hard as a child that they sustained brain damage. Not because they were born with a terrible disease.

I've lived on both sides; in College I was top of my class in English. A talented musician. Well loved by friends and family.
Then, tragedy: an assault. Knee problems. Chronic pain. Substance use. More pain. Depression.
No career. No money. No friends. No success.

If a person is really sick, either mentally or physically, then what do dreams or goals represent? There's nothing to look forward to. There's nowhere to go.

I once knew a guy who was relentlessly beaten by his parents as a child, he used to tell me about how he'd draw his lip back over his teeth so that when his Mother backhanded him around the face she'd cut her hand. When he was young he shat his pants and his father rubbed his nose in it like a dog.
Had his house burned down by an associate, had his shoulder dislocated by police and left in screaming agony in a police cell without medical help, his nose broken by another man, beaten unconscious at a bar, et cetera et cetera.
He was bipolar and had turned to drugs and drink to cope with his lot; he was always drunk and I don't blame him.
He managed brief stints at various types of work: a teacher, lawnmower, etc. But they never lasted.
He lived in state housing into his mid 40's when his Dad died and he inherited his farm.
It took every inch of him just to stay alive, let alone get anywhere with his career. I very much doubt he could've just "knuckled down" to achieve success.
And even if he could, I'll wager it wouldn't have made the pain go away. It wouldn't have meant anything.
Just look at Chester Bennington: looks, talent, success, a lovely wife and kids. In the end the abuse and drugs got him: dead by suicide aged 41.
Virtually every album he made was a suicide note.

• Love
Reactions: Fish Face, it's_all_a_game, albino_elk and 6 others
L

lostinthebleak

Nov 16, 2021
Reactions: wannawayout, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Callie Arcale and 5 others
L

LoveTakesManyForms

Student
Sep 9, 2021
T
yea with enough dedication and work ill have a successful ctb attempt. i worked for 10+ years in one career and bipolar robbed me of all the progress. whoever says this stuff is clueless and has had an easy time. good for them i guess. but fuck off.
I hear that. I was an awesome drummer with a bright music career ahead of me, until health issues put a stop to it, and I mean put a STOP to it; the more I tried to play, the more damaged I became.
I've invested loads of time and energy into a medium I now can't monetize or use anymore. There's no way around that.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Callie Arcale, Bot and 1 other person
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I hate this pathological insistence "you can achieve anything you want". It's a nice idea but it's not reality. It is arrogance to assume that the universe would allow all dreams to be fulfilled. When you start to deconstruct this idea, proponents tend to get defensive and annoyed. "You're just not trying hard enough", "Well you can't get EVERYTHING you want that's unrealistic", or "you came close enough, what more do you want?" are common responses.

• Love
Reactions: demuic, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Callie Arcale and 6 others
yive

yive

life is evil
Nov 6, 2020
it's obviously a lie, people are willing to say any bullshit, just not to admit the truth that humans aren't designed to be happy and life is not "fLaWlEsS"

• Love
Reactions: demuic, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Callie Arcale and 3 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
We can definitely achieve some goals, but not everything. This is not the Matrix; we cannot bend reality to our will.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Callie Arcale, it's_all_a_game and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Saying things like you can achieve anything is just a platitude. People who say things like that are clearly delusional. They have likely not suffered enough so they are able to be in a position where they are able to be blind to the fact that things can get that hopeless for many people. I think these types of people are in denial of the fact that things can get that bad that one would consider ctb and they therefore dismiss all suicides as irrational, where in reality suicide can be a rational response to someone coming to the conclusion that their life is not worth living.

I just think overall, life is very unfair and many people are disadvantaged through no fault of their own. That is the truth about this life.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Callie Arcale and it's_all_a_game
Mocktezuma

Mocktezuma

Godspeed
Nov 9, 2021
it's obviously a lie, people are willing to say any bullshit, just not to admit the truth that humans aren't designed to be happy and life is not "fLaWlEsS"
We just evolved to be happy sometimes not always because if it was always happy wouldn't exist, we need downs to feel highs and vice versa and that is just exhausting imo

Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
That's why it's called toxic positivity. This type of thinking is literally poisenous.

No, I cannot achieve anything I want. I have an incurable disease and I can't move. All the will power in the world won't help me walk five minutes.

I hate toxic clichés spewed by abled people who can't begin to understand the hell some of us live in.
We can definitely achieve some goals, but not everything. This is not the Matrix; we cannot bend reality to our will.

"There is no spoon" :-D

Bloody hell there isn't!!!

It actually doesn't even matter if there is a spoon, or not. Even if the whole universe is a computer simulation, my experience of it is real enough to me.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: demuic, Sprite_Geist, g0921 and 1 other person