tobias

tobias

Jan 15, 2021
Today I was searching for some suicide methods and I read a venting, I thought it's very valid so I would like to share and read your opinions about it. I totally agree with this person. Here it is:

"I don't understand why people think it is so bad to commit suicide. I don't understand how some people have never said "I do not enjoy living" at any point in their lives. I don't understand why people try so hard to stop depressed people from killing themselves. I don't understand why people are sad when someone kills them self. They should be glad that they no longer have to live with depression and are finally at peace. I don't understand why people have to suffer so much. I don't understand life, and I don't think I ever will."

I know it's very hard to understand why people commit suicide, but I prefer to think from the point of view that the person is resting in peace right now, better than suffering on this world.
What do you guys think? Do you agree? Am I selfish to think this way?​

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, WrongPlaceWrongTime, PaxAmerica and 23 others
PrettyMoose

PrettyMoose

Eat my arse, Pain&Sh*tness & Mindf*ckitation Grift
Mar 1, 2020
It is odd that when someone dies from a long battle with something like cancer, people will say of the person that at least they are no longer suffering. The same thing is not thought or said about people who end their own lives.

• Love
Reactions: lotus11, BeautifulMosaics, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 21 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
It's sad suicide is such a taboo in this society.

Anyway, I think in the future "assisted suicide" will be more popular.

I mean, why force people to live if they don't want to? Just let them rest in peace!

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, Largeletters, Echo81 and 9 others
OnlyTheWind

OnlyTheWind

Serena / Meatball head
Aug 29, 2020
In the eyes of most humans, death = bad, so the idea that someone wants to die is seen as being bad too if not worse. That and the idiotic notion that one should have a desire to live, replicate, think positive, "make the world a better place" and participate in human pursuits.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, auniqueusername669, BottomlessPit and 12 others
T

turquoise

Sep 20, 2020
People who want to die are often called depressed or mentally ill. It's more convenient for a lot of people to just attach a label like that because they're not putting themselves in the other person's shoes.

People are scared by death. Some part of that is superstition and beliefs in ghosts, spirits, an afterlife and so on. Another is survival instinct.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: auniqueusername669, antihuman., ithappens and 7 others
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
They think life is too valuable to just throw it away but they've never felt like we do.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, auniqueusername669, disabledandhopeless and 7 others
T

turquoise

Sep 20, 2020
They think life is too valuable to just throw it away but they've never felt like we do.
Exactly. They don't have the same suffering. It feels similar to a pro-life point of view. Life is too valuable, no matter what.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadworld
E

enuff

had enuff
Sep 10, 2020
i think part of it is schadenfreude (google it). i think they sicker than we are.
and part of it is the pro-life bible-thumpers,
but (buffet-style) they seem to skip over the passages in the bible about suicide.
and they seem to support the death sentence. google trumps exectuion spree.
and part is the government types who worry about losing a tax-payer.
and don't forget the dick-cheney types who think war is good, peace is boring.
so it's ok to kill and die in a war, as long as it's for glory.
and the health-care system who don't want to lose customers,
and there are those who are too afraid to admit they too would ctb if they had the balls,
like those "straight" family-man who rail against homosexuality,
and they go paying for boy-toys on the side. (it happens)
and then of course there are some people who will truly miss you.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, auniqueusername669, Isitmytime and 4 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020

No I do not think that you are selfish for having that opinion. Everyone should be allowed to leave this world on their own terms, and it should be considered a personal choice.

If they think that life is so valuable then what is their answer to the observation that many of us treat each other terribly?

Reactions: ithappens, Lostandlooking and it's_all_a_game
Ardesevent

Ardesevent

It’s the end of the line, cowboy
Feb 2, 2020
I agree with you, and you aren't selfish for thinking that way at all. I don't understand why people hate that point of view.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
Rob1984

Rob1984

A day in the life
Jan 8, 2021
It's sad suicide is such a taboo in this society.

Anyway, I think in the future "assisted suicide" will be more popular.

I mean, why force people to live if they don't want to? Just let them rest in peace!

One reason is because people don't want to live when they have a bad breakup, don't get the job they interviewed for, fail their college classes, have their art rejected, etc. Basically, most short term things that give us tremendous momentary pain make humans want to die. I'm not talking about people who have suffered for years, but people who get hit hard with something in the present moment. Problem is, humans are super impulsive and when you tie that in with being incredibly emotional, you get a recipe for disaster.

Regulating suicide and making it accessible, to the people whose miserable lives justify it, is just so unbelievably complex, that it's just easier for the big ones in power to reject it. Because then you have to find where the line gets drawn, and who actually knows what you are experiencing besides yourself? Nobody, because it's impossible and they aren't you. And I haven't even touched on how it's tied in with most religions (in a veryyyy negative way).

I think in the future "assisted suicide" will be different than how it is today, but honestly, I don't think it will be dramatically different. Between religion, it's destructive domino effect, and human nature in itself, I just don't see suicide ever being something that is condoned.

(This is all subjective and speculation obviously) :hihi:

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, ithappens, Isitmytime and 1 other person
Barteljaap

Barteljaap

Jan 17, 2021
I think it's similar to other moralizing. People believe if you don't discourage bad things, people will go around doing those bad things all the time.

With suicide, I don't think it's that they don't understand. They probably felt that way at least once in their life but it was a temporary situation for them and they're afraid they might have done it themselves had it not been heavily discouraged. Basically they're afraid that people will go around CBTing for trivial reasons if it were to become accepted.

Reactions: Isitmytime and Lostandlooking
W

woknows

Experienced
Dec 12, 2020
If care about someone, you do not want to lose them.

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
We live in a world that the occupants are mostly sick and evil. Whether we're conditioned this way I dont know personally I don't think there's any valid excuse suicide clinics aren't everywhere (by a lengthy process to assure genuine need so you can't just walk in on a bad day)
Is evidence we exist to suffer to serve as food for the elite. Suffering gives off a substances beyond the five senses that certain entities pulling the strings enjoy.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, it's_all_a_game and Going Home
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
I think the main reason is economics and community stability. Most people who want to CTB are going to do it in their working lives . It's prohibited in so many major religions , obviously ancient slave masters like the pedophile Pope or pedophile Mohammed didn't want free thinkers getting off the plantation and stop the money rollin' in

• Wow
Reactions: auniqueusername669, ithappens, Hyperbunny and 5 others
sourpink

sourpink

Student
Aug 27, 2020
culture, which includes religion/faith and the current stage of capitalism. and the laughable notion that morality must be universal.
... that's why the majority of people don't 'get it', imo. perhaps some of those who remain silent on the topic do so to preserve their roles in society, but regardless, our point of view is a minority and far outnumbered by self-righteous people who probably only hold the views they do as a result of ingrained indoctrination.

Reactions: auniqueusername669 and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
I always thought that it was selfish of people to expect a depressed person to continue to live and suffer unimaginably every single day. Suicide is not the selfish act, that is, in my opinion anyway.

• Love
Reactions: auniqueusername669, it's_all_a_game, Life is pointless and 3 others
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
Might be an unpopular opinion but what's the point of being so desperate, to prevent someone from killing himself anyways?
I mean, does it matter if he suffers through the life and dies because of age/health issues or if someone decide to commit suicide?

If there is no other way to change the situation and there is also no possibility to just start a new life (except if you live in Russia/Bulgaria) then people should not be surprised if someone just decides to "end it's existence".

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
I know capital punishment i.e. the death penalty is frowned on but if I were in prison I'd want the death penalty option. You should at least get it as an option especially if you are facing life in prison. But I hate being locked into anywhere so prison sounds awful.

Reactions: Final Escape and Deleted member 23885
D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
Religion & the fact that most human societies are quite conservative.

Reactions: Life is pointless, sourpink, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Today I was searching for some suicide methods and I read a venting, I thought it's very valid so I would like to share and read your opinions about it. I totally agree with this person. Here it is:

"I don't understand why people think it is so bad to commit suicide. I don't understand how some people have never said "I do not enjoy living" at any point in their lives. I don't understand why people try so hard to stop depressed people from killing themselves. I don't understand why people are sad when someone kills them self. They should be glad that they no longer have to live with depression and are finally at peace. I don't understand why people have to suffer so much. I don't understand life, and I don't think I ever will."

I know it's very hard to understand why people commit suicide, but I prefer to think from the point of view that the person is resting in peace right now, better than suffering on this world.
Because your life is precious even if it doesn't seem that way. You are a miracle and ideally u were meant to do positive things in your society. Suicide is seen as kick to the face of your creator. With that said it doesn't make me any less desiring of wanting out of my existence. Supposedly we are here to do the will of god or creator. So he technically owns our life. When u decide to checkout prematurely it goes against god. Sorry for the religious take on it. I have a problem with it being seen as not legitimate though. I believe that when suffering is too great and u cannot fix your situation it is warranted to remove yourself even if this is wrong way to think. What if u cannot get help and your life is a daily torment. Wouldn't it be cruel of god to want u to live until he decides to end it for u?

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
They can't grasp it. They're mindset is I suffer but I also have good times... so same should apply etc...

Like I'll admit I have a good time now and then. Like an hour or two where I feel less shitty then normal. But it's not the same.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, TooMuchToBear, sourpink and 1 other person
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I think the main reason is economics and community stability. Most people who want to CTB are going to do it in their working lives . It's prohibited in so many major religions , obviously ancient slave masters like the pedophile Pope or pedophile Mohammed didn't want free thinkers getting off the plantation and stop the money rollin' in
Nice answer lol! It's true.

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019
I made a post about this issue on r/antinatalism recently, and it got over 1.7k upvotes so you're not the only one who sees the perversion here:
The fact that suicide is treated as a crime in our fucked up society is absolutely disgusting
Interesting. I was on there the other day in a discussion about suicide and this asshole insisted that I didn't talk about it. He kept insisting that antinatalism isn't inherently pro-suicide. While that is true, it also isn't inherently anti-suicide. Generally, most people on there seem to be pro-choice regarding suicide though.

Reactions: Them
Promortalistic4Life

Promortalistic4Life

Efilist
May 29, 2020
Interesting. I was on there the other day in a discussion about suicide and this asshole insisted that I didn't talk about it. He kept insisting that antinatalism isn't inherently pro-suicide. While that is true, it also isn't inherently anti-suicide. Generally, most people on there seem to be pro-choice regarding suicide though.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I don't understand how Benatar's assymetry is only supposed to lead to antinatalism and not also to promortalism. Granted, if I'd live a fairly simple and good life I obviously wouldn't feel like ctb-ing. I know some promortalist YouTubers and they seem to be pretty fine with their lives. So I guess one doesn't need to be suicidal if you subscribe to PM.

• Informative
Reactions: Venessolotic, Them and xXSarac3nSlay3rXx
xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019
Yeah, I get what you mean. I don't understand how Benatar's assymetry is only supposed to lead to antinatalism and not also to promortalism. Granted, if I'd live a fairly simple and good life I obviously wouldn't feel like ctb-ing. I know some promortalist YouTubers and they seem to be pretty fine with their lives. So I guess one doesn't need to be suicidal if you subscribe to PM.
I'm sort of promortalist, as I think that I would be better off dead myself. I would agree that it seems like a natural conclusion of Benatar's argument. I suppose I can really only determine whether my own life is worth living, even If it seems that nonexistence is generally preferable.

Reactions: Them
Largeletters

Largeletters

Alone
Jan 21, 2020
Selfish people getting mad you're no longer around to serve them/do things for them. Sorry, but I will never stick around for something like that. If anything, suicide is not selfish, and the selfish ones are the people making suicidal people stay alive.

Reactions: Venessolotic and auniqueusername669
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Because as humans we are naturally programmed to live and survive, it is how we have evolved and suicide is seen as an act that goes against our nature, in a society that places value on old age. Many people are against it because of their religious beliefs.

Many people think it is bad as they are not suicidal themselves so they cannot comprehend what it is like to not want to be alive. They more than often haven't suffered enough. A right to die is needed in this society, as this cruel life can cause people to experience unimaginable suffering. People shouldn't be basically forced to stay alive.

Reactions: auniqueusername669 and Largeletters