Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
The phrase "life is what you make of it" is often used to inspire hope, perseverance, and personal agency. It suggests that with enough effort, optimism, and the right mindset, individuals can shape their own destiny and create a fulfilling existence. However, while this idea is appealing, it ignores a host of factors that can limit, distort, or entirely negate an individual's capacity to control their life. In this essay, I will argue that life is often not what you make of it, as external circumstances, systemic structures, and inherent limitations of human existence play a crucial role in shaping our experiences, often beyond our control.

1. The Limits of Personal Control: External Circumstances

The notion that life is entirely within one's control is overly simplistic. There are many external factors—often random and uncontrollable—that play a huge role in determining the course of one's life. One such factor is the circumstances into which people are born. No one chooses their family, social class, race, or the country where they are born, yet these factors profoundly shape the opportunities and challenges they will face. A person born into poverty in a war-torn region will have vastly different prospects from someone born into a wealthy, stable family.

These external circumstances can create systemic barriers that are difficult, if not impossible, to overcome through sheer willpower. Educational opportunities, healthcare access, economic stability, and safety vary greatly depending on where and how someone grows up. No amount of individual determination can fully compensate for the limitations imposed by structural inequalities, such as racism, classism, or sexism, which significantly impact a person's ability to shape their own life.

2. The Power of Luck and Randomness

Life is full of randomness and chance. Despite our best efforts to plan and control our circumstances, unpredictable events—both good and bad—play a large role in shaping our lives. Illness, accidents, natural disasters, or economic crises can derail even the most carefully crafted life plans. Conversely, random opportunities or strokes of luck can provide benefits that one couldn't have planned for or earned through merit alone.

Luck plays an undeniable role in life outcomes. For example, many successful individuals attribute their achievements to hard work, yet overlook the role that timing, luck, and opportunity play in their success. Being in the right place at the right time often matters more than raw talent or effort. The unpredictability of life events makes it clear that life isn't simply what you make of it, as chance and luck often have a far greater influence on outcomes than personal control.

3. Systemic Structures and Societal Limitations

Societal structures also significantly constrain the ability to make life what you want it to be. Capitalism, for instance, imposes limitations on personal freedom by requiring most people to work within a system that values profit over individual well-being. Many people are trapped in jobs they dislike or are unable to pursue passions or dreams because they must prioritize survival and financial stability. The need to make a living often takes precedence over personal desires, limiting the extent to which individuals can shape their own lives.

Political systems, too, can stifle freedom. Authoritarian regimes, corrupt governments, or oppressive laws can severely limit individual autonomy. In such contexts, people have little to no control over their lives, as their personal freedoms are restricted by external forces. Even in democratic societies, systemic inequalities and bureaucratic red tape can prevent people from making meaningful changes in their lives. The societal context in which we live imposes real constraints on our ability to fully shape our existence, despite the belief that life is what we make of it.

4. Psychological and Biological Limits

In addition to external constraints, there are internal limitations that prevent life from being entirely self-directed. Psychological factors such as mental health, cognitive biases, and emotional responses shape our experiences and limit our ability to make the life we desire. Many people suffer from anxiety, depression, trauma, or other mental health issues that profoundly affect their ability to live the life they envision.

Moreover, biological limitations constrain what we can achieve. We are all bound by the physical limitations of the human body: aging, illness, disability, and eventual death are inescapable realities. No matter how much one may wish to "make" life something greater, these biological constraints set limits on what is possible. The human mind itself has limitations in understanding and predicting the future, meaning our efforts to control our lives are often based on incomplete or faulty information.

5. The Role of Other People

Human relationships are another factor that complicates the idea that life is what you make of it. Life is not lived in isolation; our actions and decisions are deeply affected by the people around us. Family, friends, colleagues, and strangers all exert influence on our lives in ways we cannot control. Relationships, by their nature, involve compromise, negotiation, and often sacrifice. The choices we make are rarely entirely our own, as they are shaped by the expectations, needs, and behaviors of others.

For example, family obligations or social pressures often dictate life decisions, whether it's taking care of an elderly relative or choosing a career path to meet societal expectations. These interpersonal dynamics can restrict personal autonomy and shape the course of a person's life in ways that are far beyond their individual control.

6. The Illusion of Control and the Burden of Responsibility

The belief that life is what you make of it can also lead to an unhealthy illusion of control. When people believe they are fully responsible for their own outcomes, they may internalize failure as a personal shortcoming rather than recognizing the external factors that contributed to their situation. This can lead to feelings of guilt, inadequacy, and despair when life doesn't turn out as planned.

Furthermore, the pressure to constantly strive and improve can create an overwhelming burden. The idea that we are solely responsible for our own success or failure can generate stress and anxiety, as people feel they must constantly push themselves to achieve more. In reality, much of what happens in life is beyond individual control, and recognizing this can offer a sense of relief. Accepting that life is influenced by external factors can reduce the burden of personal responsibility and foster a more compassionate understanding of failure and success.

Conclusion: Life as a Complex Interplay

The idea that life is not solely what you make of it acknowledges the complex interplay between individual agency and external forces. While personal effort and mindset can influence certain aspects of life, they are far from the only factors that shape one's experiences. External circumstances, randomness, systemic structures, psychological limitations, and interpersonal dynamics all play critical roles in determining life outcomes.

Understanding that life is not entirely within our control can lead to a more nuanced and realistic approach to living. Instead of focusing solely on personal agency, we can strive to recognize and address the larger forces at play. This recognition can foster resilience, adaptability, and a greater sense of empathy for both ourselves and others as we navigate a world full of unpredictable challenges and constraints.

• Love
Reactions: ScarletTanager, whydidthishappen, WearyWanderer and 7 others
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
Was this for "fun" or a paper? Should this be in 'Recovery'?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
no it was for people who claim that life is what you make of it and i've just debunked that claim

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, sserafim and peaceandlove
C

chester

Student
Aug 1, 2024
i've just debunked that claim
Yes and no. I think what you've done is added a caveat to that claim, that it is true as long as circumstances beyond our control don't get in the way too much.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Yes and no. I think what you've done is added a caveat to that claim, that it is true as long as circumstances beyond our control don't get in the way too much.
Exactly. If life truly were what you make of it, individuals would have absolute control over every aspect of their existence, including the ability to choose whether or not to die. However, the reality that nobody can escape death, regardless of their will or efforts, highlights the limitations of the idea that life is entirely self-determined.

• Love
Reactions: YandereMikuMistress, ijustwishtodie, sserafim and 1 other person
C

chester

Student
Aug 1, 2024
Now that I think about it, the phrase "Life is what you make of it" to me never implied that you can make absolutely anything out of your life. Still, even within the limitations imposed on us by the world there are options to chose from, and the decision is yours.

eden101

eden101

Student
Aug 12, 2024
in life we are not free. you wake up everyday with the same face you can't change it like you change your clothes - stuck and caged. you are born into a country, a race, a family, etc. there isn't a total freedom that i wish for. like a lucid dream. then i could truly make something out of nothing. then it would be what i make of it. and it would be nice

• Love
Reactions: lizzywizzy09, WearyWanderer and ijustwishtodie
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Life isn't what you make of it. Everybody is a slave to the human body. 99% of people are a wage slave to society. We don't really have much control in life. Free will doesn't completely exist

• Love
Reactions: WearyWanderer
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
If it's something big people want to accomplish, then they should work every day and not expect instant change or success (like if you want to become a musician and just start practicing piano).

K

kkamasal

Low intelligence . Bad English
Sep 1, 2024
I think everything has a fixed fate

Inborn intelligence my natural personality and learned things that I have unconsciously accumulated since I was a child think that it will be difficult to change, and I choose and act based on that

derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
Yeah I don't know if you can "debunk" a phrase like that. It's not "Life is literally only what you make of it with no external forces at all." It's not meant to be 100% literal. Not like "temporary problem solution permanent" bs where you can actually say "no, the core premise has no merit."

That said I love nitpicking such phrases and pointing out the nuance, so thumbs up.
Didn't realize at first that this is "off-topic." I'd agree the life good/bad stuff should be in philosophy, suicide, or recovery before here.