Gaga786

Gaga786

The Odds Are Never In My favour
May 3, 2020
I just don't get it. Calling the police only exacerbates the situation; it makes people more suicidal. The last thing people would want is to be harassed and spoken ill of by the officers. In my case, when I woke up, the police officer was called by the doctor and he started harassing my parents for money since my country is so corrupt. I remember being questioned by him whilst being in a dissociative state. The worst part is that these psychologists and psychiatrists literally memorise info from the their medical books and try to apply it in the situation without thinking rationally. This indoctrination needs to stop. The amount of corruption and money laundering is literally rampant, and the psych wards are disgusting. Yet they still want to use their knowledge and pretend that everything is perfect. The mental health system is a joke– atleast in my country.
Does anyone know the exact logic behind the police being involved? And has it ever helped ameliorate the scenario
I do want to add that suicide is considered illegal in my country as it is a sin against our religion.

• Aww..
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, OutOfTheVoid, epic and 6 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Police answer mental health calls in case they need to shoot the person dead. They can't be sure of what kind of threat the person in crisis may pose (you know, mental illness and all that) so they need to be present in case the person tries to shank someone with a screwdriver. That's their reasoning at least, obviously so even if they deny it.

Reactions: Homo erectus and archiemex
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
When you say suicide is illegal in your country- do you mean it is considered sinful or- is it ACTUALLY against the law? If it's ACTUALLY still against the law- I imagine that's why the police get involved. (I was actually shocked to find out that prior to 1961, suicide was illegal in the UK.)

Plus, maybe they have more powers to actually detain people against their will rather than just say a doctor.

I've always found it kind of curious that suicides are almost treated like murder- you tried to murder yourself- and we can't have that- so- we're going to punish you. It HAS to make you wonder- WHO owns our lives? Cleary not us if we get into trouble for trying to end them...

Reactions: Rogue Proxy, WaitingToGo, Archness and 4 others
Gaga786

Gaga786

The Odds Are Never In My favour
May 3, 2020
When you say suicide is illegal in your country- do you mean it is considered sinful or- is it ACTUALLY against the law? If it's ACTUALLY still against the law- I imagine that's why the police get involved. (I was actually shocked to find out that prior to 1961, suicide was illegal in the UK.)

Plus, maybe they have more powers to actually detain people against their will rather than just say a doctor.

I've always found it kind of curious that suicides are almost treated like murder- you tried to murder yourself- and we can't have that- so- we're going to punish you. It HAS to make you wonder- WHO owns our lives? Cleary not us if we get into trouble for trying to end them...
It's a sin and it is against the law, but obviously, given how corrupt the country is, it its rarely implemented in such cases. However, there have been cases where people,poor people to be exact, have been imprisoned and punished for their suicide attempt.
Police answer mental health calls in case they need to shoot the person dead. They can't be sure of what kind of threat the person in crisis may pose (you know, mental illness and all that) so they need to be present in case the person tries to shank someone with a screwdriver. That's their reasoning at least, obviously so even if they deny it.
oh, got it. Thank you for your response.

• Wow
Reactions: Forever Sleep
E

eternalbliss22

Dec 17, 2022

I guess you could say it's theft, since you won't be paying taxes anymore

• Love
Reactions: Archness, passenger520 and Forever Sleep
CringeNihilism

CringeNihilism

Eternal Euthymia
Feb 13, 2023
Can I ask what country you are from if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: epic
M

missingpeace

Arcanist
Feb 4, 2023
That's horrible, how the hell is a policeman going to help the situation.. is this just used to clear the psychiatrist's conscious that he has done the best he can and that he is not responsible for a potential suicide death? I guess if your country is corrupt then probably most people are just looking out for themselves and don't care about others.. Sorry to hear your in this situation..

cogmachine

cogmachine

hurk urk blergh
Feb 22, 2023
if someone is in a crisis state like that, you don't know how they plan on doing it, how they feel (possible influence of psychoactive substances), as well as how dangerous they might be to everyone else (obviously besides themselves). i'm sorry to hear about the situation in the country where you're from, making suicide illegal does absolutely nothing besides worsening the situation.

M

missingpeace

Arcanist
Feb 4, 2023
if someone is in a crisis state like that, you don't know how they plan on doing it, how they feel (possible influence of psychoactive substances), as well as how dangerous they might be to everyone else (obviously besides themselves). i'm sorry to hear about the situation in the country where you're from, making suicide illegal does absolutely nothing besides worsening the situation.
His psychiatrist would have all this information, if OP is surprised with the presence of a policeman, I doubt he would have used any method that is life threatening to others. I think the policeman just got involved because the psychiatrist just wanted a clear conscience.

• Informative
Reactions: cogmachine
BasqueClown

BasqueClown

Zirkua ata heriotza
Jun 9, 2022
Where are you located? Because that depends on the current legislation of the country.
In my case, French police department have as one of the duties to protect the integrity of citizens and keep the public order, so even if the scenario when you decide to kill yourself, is a responsibility of constabulary to protect your life before you threaten others.
In my case I was arrested near a bridge and being charged for drug influence and disorderly public behavior for threatening jump off the bridge. Since I was declared mentally disabled for medical report, judge changed jail time for forced hospitalization, both for drug abuse and psychotic episode.
It's an awful procedure but they have a legal and ethics duty to do.