• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
People often times talk about freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of movement, freedom of language, human rights and civil liberties. From what I know, if a person is not hurting anyone physically or not threatening other people's lives, why is it anybody's business to dictate what a person wants to do with his life?

You see a terrorist is a terrorist because a terrorist's motivation behind killing people in the most barbaric and brutal way is to terrorize other members of a society. But in the case of suicide, it's my life my choice - I get to to decide whether or not I want to experience it or end it.

I get the point that when a person commits suicide, you're not harming anyone physically, but you're still mentally traumatizing you're loved ones - your parents, friends who love you, your partner or spouse, your children etc etc. But outside of inflicting psychological remorse, you've not physically harmed anybody or tried the stop the working of a well - functioning society by committing acts of terrorism against innocent people.

Why is that if I'm not harming any member of my society except for myself - then I should be stopped from taking my own life?

Reactions: Hollowman, DeIetedUser4739, Theresnoescape and 1 other person
D

dolemitedrums

Experienced
Jun 12, 2024
I mean...we have someone on here right now who thinks their parents are putting microchips into them while they're asleep and that voices are telling them they must die in order to save other people.

This person should not be committing suicide...at least not based on those beliefs. They should be getting treatment for schizophrenia.

I guess maybe it's best to discourage suicide and err on the side of stopping it when in doubt...but at the same time if we have thought it through and know what we want...it would be really nice to have a bit of Nembutal available instead of hanging or jumping or having your face turn blue from SN or all that other crap.

Reactions: BrainShower and divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
People assume life can get better for everyone if they keep holding on. Its in a humans nature to want to help those who are suffering unless they are a sociopath

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, deadalready1 and DeIetedUser4739
JustA_LittlePerson

JustA_LittlePerson

One person in a sea...
May 21, 2024
People often times talk about freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of movement, freedom of language, human rights and civil liberties. From what I know, if a person is not hurting anyone physically or not threatening other people's lives, why is it anybody's business to dictate what a person wants to do with his life?

You see a terrorist is a terrorist because a terrorist's motivation behind killing people in the most barbaric and brutal way is to terrorize other members of a society. But in the case of suicide, it's my life my choice - I get to to decide whether or not I want to experience it or end it.

I get the point that when a person commits suicide, you're not harming anyone physically, but you're still mentally traumatizing you're loved ones - your parents, friends who love you, your partner or spouse, your children etc etc. But outside of inflicting psychological remorse, you've not physically harmed anybody or tried the stop the working of a well - functioning society by committing acts of terrorism against innocent people.

Why is that if I'm not harming any member of my society except for myself - then I should be stopped from taking my own life?
People here like to think they are free, more free than other even because they think they see the truth, that our world is rotten and beyond salvation, and somehow they are the only ones who see that. I'd say most here are prisoners (GREAT MOVIE WATCH IT LOL) of themselves. Their minds playing tricks on them to try and make sense of this, so you go down a spiral that leads to only one sensible answer, which is why many here find it mesmerizing how people actually don't consider suicide, they genuinely don't understand. Also your argument about terrorists doesn't really add up because terrorism is not the end goal (mostly) but a means to an end. Political terrorism, etc. They directly affect other people so it's easier to see why it's criminal, but like it or not suicide hurts others as well. "Each man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind." Of course I'm not comparing suicide to terrorism in terms of damage, but both of them affect other people, even if suicide does not aim to hurt others (Most of the time lol)
People assume life can get better for everyone if they keep holding on. Its in a humans nature to want to help those who are suffering unless they are a sociopath
"It's a uniquely human fantasy that things will get better, born perhaps of the uniquely human understanding that things will not."

Reactions: divinemistress36
kyhoti

kyhoti

May 27, 2024
Imnsho, it's a dark topic, which makes folks cringe. There's a stigma involved too. People want a world full of unicorn rainbow farts and felating joy. Anything that rains on their sunny parade is "bad" and something must be done to stop it.

That's not to say there aren't altruistic people who seen recovery happen, either personally or clinically. It's just not the majority. I told my parents recently that I have a daily struggle to keep from jumping in front of a dump truck; they were horrified and very quickly changed the subject. That's pretty much the "normal" response.

Reactions: divinemistress36
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Strangers and even police can't assess whether the person on the wrong side of the railings on the bridge is of sound mind. So, they take them off to be assessed.

If we admit that it's possible to commit suicide in a psychotic state or impulsively, the likelihood is- people will err on the side of caution and try to prevent a suicide if they can.

They also likely have their own biase that all people who want to commit suicide have some sort of psychological imbalance- that can be cured.

Plus, we live in a culture of blame. That person's angry relatives may well look to blame anyone they can. How could my relative have found out about something like SN? Why were they allowed to purchase it? Why didn't someone stop my relative from jumping? I wonder if you can actually get into trouble if you are in a position to stop a physical suicide and don't. I don't know.

It could actually be out of compassion too. Unless you're a promortalist, the likelihood is, you don't actually want death to be everyone's best option. Maybe fairytale thinking but you may genuinely hope that person could have a better future. Plus- someone about to jump is a few things: Likely very unhappy, very desperate and alone. It can come from a place of kindness I think to show them that they're not. That, even a complete stranger might care about their pain and want to help.

The problem I suppose is the practicality of it. Maybe it is all wishful thinking. Maybe that person will be kind enough to listen to their problems that day. They likely won't have the time to stick with them while they 'recover'. Plus, their problems may not be entirely solvable. So, they could well just be condemning them back to a life they find intolerable. Again though, none of us know. I suppose that's another reason I feel like ideally, suicide needs to be done in private because, there's every likelihood people will try to stop it if they know.

Reactions: divinemistress36 and Darkover
T

Theresnoescape

Each year feels like 10
May 29, 2024
Exactly that, it's just not right is it. There should definitely be a safe and painless way to leave this life behind. It may just make it that little bit easier for loved ones to move on, without the thoughts of the ways that we have to achieve our end goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkover
amaluuk

amaluuk

Jan 11, 2024
When I was growing up I never sought to speak out about my CSA experiences for the longest time because I didn't want all the questions. "Who did this to you, what happened," et cetera. Sure, it would be important to stop a potential abuser from harming others, but then my answer would become an allegation which becomes an accusation and if it doesn't work out then the blame is redirected to me as a potential hysteric. Also, I never got the impression that the people who would ask that legitimately cared, if they weren't just doing it for mandated reporting's sake it always felt like it was some sort of consolation prize.

And speaking of consolation prize, it's the same thing in topic related. People try to stop you or ask you questions you don't want to answer because they're trying to look for an easy way to feel better about something with which there isn't any easy way to feel better about, no catharsis that can be tapped into. They're uncomfortable, unfamiliar with how to handle the subject, even if they've been exposed to it before, and just opt for the only thing that feels intuitive, pressure and force.

Strangers and even police can't assess whether the person on the wrong side of the railings on the bridge is of sound mind. So, they take them off to be assessed.

If we admit that it's possible to commit suicide in a psychotic state or impulsively, the likelihood is- people will err on the side of caution and try to prevent a suicide if they can.

They also likely have their own biase that all people who want to commit suicide have some sort of psychological imbalance- that can be cured.

Plus, we live in a culture of blame. That person's angry relatives may well look to blame anyone they can. How could my relative have found out about something like SN? Why were they allowed to purchase it? Why didn't someone stop my relative from jumping? I wonder if you can actually get into trouble if you are in a position to stop a physical suicide and don't. I don't know.

It could actually be out of compassion too. Unless you're a promortalist, the likelihood is, you don't actually want death to be everyone's best option. Maybe fairytale thinking but you may genuinely hope that person could have a better future. Plus- someone about to jump is a few things: Likely very unhappy, very desperate and alone. It can come from a place of kindness I think to show them that they're not. That, even a complete stranger might care about their pain and want to help.

The problem I suppose is the practicality of it. Maybe it is all wishful thinking. Maybe that person will be kind enough to listen to their problems that day. They likely won't have the time to stick with them while they 'recover'. Plus, their problems may not be entirely solvable. So, they could well just be condemning them back to a life they find intolerable. Again though, none of us know. I suppose that's another reason I feel like ideally, suicide needs to be done in private because, there's every likelihood people will try to stop it if they know.
People on this site sometimes have the tendency of balking if you suggest anything less than the suicide booths of Futurama, but it's also worth noting that many people who do try to kill themselves probably shouldn't and are sometimes just outright not able to be accountable for their decisions, whether due to psychosis or some other mental incident hampering their ability to judge themselves. There should at least be some hoops to this stuff to weed out impulsive and unaccountable decisions.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, JustA_LittlePerson, Theresnoescape and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
When I was growing up I never sought to speak out about my CSA experiences for the longest time because I didn't want all the questions. "Who did this to you, what happened," et cetera. Sure, it would be important to stop a potential abuser from harming others, but then my answer would become an allegation which becomes an accusation and if it doesn't work out then the blame is redirected to me as a potential hysteric. Also, I never got the impression that the people who would ask that legitimately cared, if they weren't just doing it for mandated reporting's sake it always felt like it was some sort of consolation prize.

And speaking of consolation prize, it's the same thing in topic related. People try to stop you or ask you questions you don't want to answer because they're trying to look for an easy way to feel better about something with which there isn't any easy way to feel better about, no catharsis that can be tapped into. They're uncomfortable, unfamiliar with how to handle the subject, even if they've been exposed to it before, and just opt for the only thing that feels intuitive, pressure and force.

People on this site sometimes have the tendency of balking if you suggest anything less than the suicide booths of Futurama, but it's also worth noting that many people who do try to kill themselves probably shouldn't and are sometimes just outright not able to be accountable for their decisions, whether due to psychosis or some other mental incident hampering their ability to judge themselves. There should at least be some hoops to this stuff to weed out impulsive and unaccountable decisions.

That would be the ideal- if assisted suicide were legalised. Then, it could be regulated. People in psychotic episodes or acting impulsively could be identified and given assistance. I also agree with you that it needs to be regulated to even be sustainable. Handing out Nembutal to 8 year olds like candy wouldn't last long!

As to where the lines are drawn becomes contentious though. I personally believe that- so long as an adult can prove mental comptency- being able to understand their situation and rationalise their options- they ought to be able to end their lives reliably and humanely.

I also don't believe all mental illnesses impede that. To my mind, the ideal would be to suggest it to someone that things like depression and anhedonia may be influencing their judgement. Chances are, I would think that they've already tried various medications/ therapy. So- it ought to be up to them how much more they want to fight.

But, definitely- assisted suicide would help in so many ways. I personally think families should be informed- so- they would get the chance to get used to the idea, say goodbye and be supported throughout. There would be no need to traumatise members of the public with public suicides. No need to waste police resources on investigations. Plus, we could presumably donate our organs if something like the Sarco Pod was used.

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Because someone who CTBs by the very nature is not of sound mind. We can frame it up and try and rationalise it however we like but the hard fact is that committing suicide is due to mental ill health.

It is extremely hard to know for sure we are untreatable and have exhausted all possibilities of recovery. This is why assisted dying for depression is so controversial.

Reactions: divinemistress36 and M48 Patton
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Because someone who CTBs by the very nature is not of sound mind. We can frame it up and try and rationalise it however we like but the hard fact is that committing suicide is due to mental ill health.
more nonsense from you i sick of hearing from you this stupid ignore feature is rubbish

Many people think that wanting to commit suicide is a rational response to chronic or terminal health conditions that severely impair your quality of life. This is why some countries have euthanasia laws

We could also consider extreme scenarios where the alternative is so much worse that suicide becomes a preferable option. For example, to the best of my knowledge, nobody ever morally criticized 9/11 victims for jumping from the towers given the alternative was to die in a fire or building collapse.

What is generally considered to be indicative of mental disturbance is to consider the ordinary conditions of life to be so bad that suicide is a preferable alternative. Especially if the judgement that life is not worth living is based on abstract considerations like the very great amount of suffering/injustice in the world, or the perceived lack of some non-mundane meaning to life, or the fact that nobody consented to the existence that they find themselves in.

M

M48 Patton

Student
Jun 2, 2024
Every individual is unique, some people do need saving, some maybe it is better to let them find that eternal sleep. I think we should always try to help people who are suicidal but we should also consider exactly why they are and whether their situation is treatable. Can they have a good life? Will their quality of life be a good standard?

Mental health and physical health issues especially combined can be complicated to tackle. How do we know if this is person is sound of mind? They well be but they may not. Hard to judge. At no disrespect to the one feeling suicidal either. I've been judged but I know I want to die if I can't get better which is highly highly unlikely.

It's why this whole euthanasia, Assisted suicide etc etc debate Is controversial and I totally get why it is. Off course for me I know what I want. Hence the whole DIY approach and being on here.

It just often happens that powers above or external controllers have the say in it. Duty of care. laws, regulations. People also understandably don't want to be liable for assisted suicide so they have to help even if they can see the situation is hopeless.

As I have said before I am not pro life or pro suicide, I am pro choice, it is up the individual. If every possible choice of getting better is exhausted, then maybe like the Dutch or the Swiss we should allow death. We don't let our pets suffer. Don't let humans suffer

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkover
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020

That's an important question, and since it lies at the heart of what this site is about, I'll try to give a full discussion. (I'll call it a discussion rather than an answer, because I don't think there is a conclusive answer.) Let's start with the fact that there are many situations in which a reasonable person (which includes me and, I think, probably you too) would wish to discourage someone from dying. But that immediately raises the question: how are we to recognise such situations, and how can we distinguish them from situations in which we should respect someone's wish to die. Reasonable people may differ on that.

First, I think that impulsive suicide, or suicide by someone who is obviously not in control of their faculties (e.g. because of alcohol) should always be discouraged. Why do I think that? Because if it was me who was in that situation, I would almost certainly consider, once I had got past the short term impulse, or I had sobered up, that suicide would not have been a good idea. Of course, it's not guaranteed that a suicidal person would view things the same way as I do, even after they had got past the short term impulse or had sobered up, but common sense tells us that usually they would.

(It might sound as though the distinction is easy to make, but sometimes it isn't easy, especially if you have very little information about a person, as is sometimes the case on this site. Someone who is falling-over drunk is obviously not in control of their faculties. But what about someone who is psychotic? Or so depressed that they can't even get out of bed? What if their partner died last week? Or last month? Or 6 months ago? However, those are practical matters, and here I am trying to answer your more philosophical question.)

So let's assume, from now on, that people are not acting impulsively or while not in control of their faculties.

I ask three questions.
1. Is this person's problem only a minor one? If so, the best way forward may be to just put up with it. (We may have the practical difficulty that what appears minor to me may not appear minor to the person experiencing it. Empathy helps here, but sometimes different points of view can not be reconciled.)
2. Is the problem only going to be temporary (or, at least, is it likely that it will only be temporary)? If so, the best way forward may be to hunker down and wait for better times. (Again we may have a practical difficulty. It is not always clear whether a problem is temporary or permanent.)
3. Does this person's problem have a solution, or at least is there a reasonable chance that it may have a solution? If so, the best way forward may be to try the (supposed) solution, and see what happens. (There can be many practical difficulties here. A suggested solution may be inaccessible to the person concerned, e.g. because of cost. Or they may have attempted many potential solutions, all of which have failed, and they may be too weary to want to try yet another one.)

If the answer to any of those three questions is clearly "Yes", then I discourage the person from catching the bus.
If the answer to all of them is clearly "No", then I respect the persons choice to ctb.
If, as it quite often the case, I don't know the answers, and it seems that the person concerned doesn't really know them either, then I usually suggest some variant of "Don't ctb yet. Wait until the issues become clearer before making a decision."

In all these cases, my response is guided by what I would want someone to say to me if I was the person experiencing the problem.

It's obvious that if two reasonable people set out to apply exactly the same philosophical guidelines that I have outlined above, they will sometimes come to different conclusions. Although those guidlines seem sensible and humane (and, I think, are sensible and humane), there are many practical difficulties when it comes to applying them.

Also, a reasonable person might adopt rather different guidelines, while still staying close to the spirit of my own guidelines. Again that will sometimes lead to different conclusions when considering the same set of facts.

So, this stuff isn't simple even for people who are sympathetic to the ethos of this site.

Ethical viewpoints are not determined by objective reality. (It's not like the observed fact that heavy objects always fall downwards.) They are human constructs and are, to a considerable extent, arbitrary. If someone has an ethical viewpoint that causes them to discourage a suicidal person more strongly than I would discourage that person in the same circumstances, even much more strongly, I know of no objective way to demonstrate that they are wrong.

What I can say - and do say - is that if I myself had made a rational, non-impulsive decison to leave this world, in circumstances where the answer to all three questions above was "No", I would not welcome interference from anyone who wished to stop me. I would resist it. Just as I would resist anyone who tried to rob me. I would regard it as an unwarranted interference on my rights.

Because the concept of "rights" is entirely an ethical construct, some people might disagree that I have those rights. They are entitled to their point of view. This is not something where we can objectively prove that one view is "right" and the other "wrong". But if they try to force their point of view on me, they would then have a fight on their hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha