N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I would say maybe 60% have disabled it. Maybe more. I don't know the standard setting.

My reason is more pricacy, less likelihood to get identified. But there is this "exploit" how to circumvent the barrier to look at the post history. Lol. Which decreases the utility of this setting.

Another major reason for me is: I think my heart would tear into shreds if people posted a goodybe message to me before they committed suicide. I think I could not stomach that. In general personal messages of people who ctb directed to me touch me.

What are your reasons?

Reactions: derpyderpins
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
standard is disabled, I believe, so that's why more have it disabled. Mine should be visible to all members afaik. Especially now that I'm theorycrafting recovery, I want people to be able to see everything I post. Plus, transparency. I often try to relate to people by giving personal stories, I need to show that I'm honestly willing to be vulnerable if I expect them to open up back to me.

Also, it's fun to have slightly public but not so out-in-front chats with the good people of the site. Less personal/pressured than sending a DM. I like being able to post random things that don't really deserve a full public post where - for the most part - only people who are interested will see it.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I left mine available to see because I don't really care who sees my profile. Anyone trying to find out information about me would have to sift through hundreds of status updates and thousands of posts just to find small details that may not even be true about my life.

• Yay!
Reactions: annasplight and derpyderpins
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I don't even know if I have that option blocked or not.
I don't publish anything on my profile, so it doesn't matter.

I'm not afraid of "stalking" either.
I plan on dying soon, so good luck.
If anyone has dark plans for me, I suggest you speed up your movements, you pathetic creature.

• Yay!
Reactions: derpyderpins
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I didn't realize the default was for it to be disabled and was wondering why what I posted wasn't getting any attention.

I like to post random vents or shitposts.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowjester and derpyderpins
Arachno

Arachno

oh no :(
Apr 10, 2023
I don't even know which setting exactly makes your profile public, I set everything to visible by all members but I have no clue if it works. I wish I enabled it earlier, I think I would have a use for it.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
It used to be public by default, but I'm guessing they changed that to encourage privacy or something. I like to use it for personal vents that aren't worthy of spamming the forum with the same old crap, or to drop by someone else's profile and say something nice or react to their vents.

Reactions: Arachno
annasplight

annasplight

endless grief
Aug 6, 2024
This made me aware that people cant see my profile by default!!! I immediately made it public, but I think the reason I want my page visible is so that someone doesn't feel so alone all the time, lol. I would've liked to find this place earlier so I didn't feel alone for so many years. :(

Cinnamorolls

Cinnamorolls

Student
Apr 28, 2024
I initially made mine public since I thought it might be helpful to others in situations similar to mine to be able to easily find my posts and perhaps feel a sense of comradery/not being alone. But then the mods here allowed someone to attack and harass me which made me feel unsafe, so I had to make it private again. Don't want hateful trolls being able to stalk my posts and harass me further without consequences since mods don't care.

• Aww..
Reactions: LifeQuitter
enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
People just can't be bothered to change the default. Online activity is on by default which I turned off. There's no point in having locked profile since people can @ you, pm you, and your posts can be easily searched for anyway.