nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
I always find it unbelievable how as many as one million people crowd like sardines in a can to see a stupid ball descend at the new year countdown every year, while the NYC wind is usually frigid enough to make guys' balls shrivel. People wear adult diapers so they can stand there all day for the event.

The intensity of the joy and hope these people express for the year ahead, their passion for life baffles me.

Screen Shot 2019 12 31 at 90918 PM

I've spent hours replying to people's Happy New Year phone calls and text messages today - the most annoying chore.

IMG 3636

At least I'm one year closer to death - that's something to look forward to.

• Love
Reactions: Brick In The Wall, justwhy?, MiserableBastard1995 and 3 others
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I don't get this either I mean I may understand that many people gathering to watch a fireworks display but for a ball to drop? I don't get it.

Reactions: nitrogen
justwhy?

justwhy?

Student
Sep 27, 2019
The intensity of the joy and hope these people express for the year ahead, their passion for life baffles me

I bet at least 40% of them are full of doubt and dread too but they're just better at stuffing that down and smothering it with booze and food and whatever else.

Plus it's a lot cheaper than bars and it's probably one of the few times the police won't cite them for drinking in public.

Reactions: nitrogen and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Most people don't analyze things like this. They just do it because others are, herd mentality type thing. Plus they need things to post on their social media pages.

• Love
Reactions: OreoWellington, justwhy?, nitrogen and 2 others
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
Most people don't analyze things like this. They just do it because others are, herd mentality type thing. Plus they need things to post on their social media pages.
I feel like it's the same thing nowadays for a lot of the protests and demonstrations that are always going on. Sure there are people that really care about the specific issues but a lot of people are their for the reasons you mentioned. For social brownie points and to appear like a good person on social media. It's all about their own vanity really. Maybe others disagree but it's how I see it.

• Love
Reactions: justwhy?, nitrogen and Brick In The Wall
DyslexicForeigner

DyslexicForeigner

Student
Dec 27, 2018
Ahaha.. So true!

Reactions: Brick In The Wall and mediocre
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I feel like it's the same thing nowadays for a lot of the protests and demonstrations that are always going on. Sure there are people that really care about the specific issues but a lot of people are their for the reasons you mentioned. For social brownie points and to appear like a good person on social media. It's all about their own vanity really. Maybe others disagree but it's how I see it.

Most people here would probably agree with you. We're leaders, outcasts, isolationists, non conformists by nature. It's part of what brings some of us here.

• Love
Reactions: nitrogen and mediocre
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
The thought of standing out in the cold with a bunch of people would send me into the deep end. I deal with severe anxiety and it would not be a good place for me to be in. The last time I went to the city, I had an anxiety attack and had to sit on the subway floor due to how overwhelmed I was. I was shaking and trying not to cry, as people just walked by and overlooked it. Pure hell... Not only that, but people can be so loud. I prefer peace and quiet. And fuck the holidays in general.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: DyslexicForeigner, exhausted, Tragoedia Vitae and 1 other person
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
I usually watch the New Year's fireworks from my window, but this year I went out to be in the crowd because it could be my last chance to do it. I say "crowd", but it's nothing like Times Square. I am not at all tempted to do that!

• Hugs
Reactions: DyslexicForeigner and nitrogen