N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I recently watched a lecture of a subject I don't study. The lecturer talked inter alia about motives of trolls. As a teenager I was bullied a lot in school. And started to do online trolling. I feel ashamed now because I did a lot of bullshit. Though it was not extremely hurtful to other people rather annoying. Retrospectively I have to say that was pretty pathetic but I was young abused at home bullied at school through therapy I learned way better coping skill.

However I still do sometimes online trolling in video games but very very harmless things for example provoking opponents to watch my goals in slow motion. I am not sure why I do that. Though I would never do something that seriously hurts other people. There are probably also trolls in this forum and one probably has to be pretty much of a sociopath to troll suicidal people. I assume such people probably have their own demons which might errupt in the future.

In the lecture the professor said people who do online trolling have often the following reasons: they tend to have personlity traits of the dark triad like machavellism. They want to have an impact on the lives of other people to feel powerful. Probably to forget the fact for some seconds that they are pretty pathetic and are pretty insignificant for the rest of the world. They want that other people show reactions to their actions

Further reasons I found online:
Enjoying the feeling to provoke other people
Political purposes to help a certain agenda
Seeking for attention they usually don't receive
They are frustrated with their own life (might could be applied to my video game behavior)

• Informative
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, anhedonicNfoggy, FormerlyFe(IV) and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
A lot of the time it comes across to me as a need for attention. Quite often I've noticed that it's fairly intelligent people that do it but they seem to want to really emphasise their intelligence/ superiority by playing games (at the expense of others.) It's kind of odd though because simultaneously, you sometimes do get the impression that they aren't just doing it for their own little thrill and to demean people- they do seem to want to impress others. I agree though- on a forum such as this- where I'd say most people are empaths- people tend to not be too impressed at all. Most of the time, someone calls them out for being a dick! Lol.

Reactions: Homo erectus, anhedonicNfoggy, sserafim and 1 other person
davidgeorge

davidgeorge

Experienced
Dec 21, 2021
Yeah it's usually fairly intelligent people. I heard about an author who had his book trashed by a profile on famous book selling site. It made a difference as it dropped his rating and put doubt about the veracity of his work. Long story short it was another author in the same field. I guess that's nasty trolling.

Reactions: Homo erectus
I

I'mdone77

Aug 27, 2023
Some people just want to watch the world burn.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
I recently watched a lecture of a subject I don't study. The lecturer talked inter alia about motives of trolls. As a teenager I was bullied a lot in school. And started to do online trolling. I feel ashamed now because I did a lot of bullshit. Though it was not extremely hurtful to other people rather annoying. Retrospectively I have to say that was pretty pathetic but I was young abused at home bullied at school through therapy I learned way better coping skill.

However I still do sometimes online trolling in video games but very very harmless things for example provoking opponents to watch my goals in slow motion. I am not sure why I do that. Though I would never do something that seriously hurts other people. There are probably also trolls in this forum and one probably has to be pretty much of a sociopath to troll suicidal people. I assume such people probably have their own demons which might errupt in the future.

In the lecture the professor said people who do online trolling have often the following reasons: they tend to have personlity traits of the dark triad like machavellism. They want to have an impact on the lives of other people to feel powerful. Probably to forget the fact for some seconds that they are pretty pathetic and are pretty insignificant for the rest of the world. They want that other people show reactions to their actions

They are frustrated with their own life (might could be applied to my video game behavior)
I suppose... Usually, I take people on the Internet by their word all the time, but I'm starting to notice that there are definitely actual trolls on the Internet! :( Mostly because my online friends always got accused of trolling when they were just being genuine! >_< altho, I will say political "trolling" isn't really trolling at all as it seeks a goal but indirectly harm others (those who ultimately slander them as trolls)~

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023

Interested in this as well

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Bump. I think they're probably ENTPs