FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It just feels wrong to me to insist that suicide must be a "last resort", as it implies that existence is something so desirable and worth having in the first place to the point that choosing to cease existing must be the last option.
I never understand views like this, any of the views that act like life is some kind of "gift" that is always so valuable come across as so delusional to me when they are forced onto other people.

I hate when "suicide is the last" resort type thinking gets pushed onto everyone, as just because one feels in such a way about their own situation doesn't mean that it applies to everyone else, I cannot stand the life valuing people who are unable to accept that not everyone even wants to exist in the first place.

Instead of some kind of last resort I see wanting to die as a logical reaction to existence itself, wanting to permanently free myself from the curse that is existence is all that feels rational to me.
Suicide is self care, it's a release from suffering, it would be a relief rather than a last resort, I see no value and benefit to suffering so unnecessarily just waiting around to die.
Suicide is something that should never need to be justified in anyway, I see existence itself as being enough to justify the decision to die.

If one wishes to switch off their consciousness and be permanently relieved from this existence they were unfortunate enough to be burdened with in the first place they should simply be able to, as only they are the ones trapped within themselves.

Other people cannot experience existence in the same way anyway, I don't see any benefit to existing as a conscious being cursed with the ability to suffer, existence just causes harm which is why I will always see it as preferable to not exist rather than death being a last resort.
It's the most important right to have the option to permanently find peace from all suffering, it disgusts me how the right to die isn't seen as the human right it truly is.

• Love
Reactions: paroxysm, floralheaddress, Unknown21 and 5 others
I

its.all.gone

at the end we sleep4ever
Nov 3, 2023
I hear you, but with due respect I do think suicide should be last resort.

• Hugs
Reactions: skaro, Glandular, Myforevercharlie and 6 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I don't think anyone pro-life views suicide as a last resort, they assume recovery will always be a feasible option even in the worst of cases when in reality that is far from the truth. I have spoken to some pro-lifers recently and asked them about how much time is enough to recover before all options have been tried and failed, over many years. They answered "never". There is never enough time.

• Love
Reactions: leavingsoon99 and rosenwasser
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
I personally think most people would say it's a last resort meaning they've exhausted all other options, but none of them worked and/or had been helpful for them so suicide is their final logistical option. In those cases, I don't actually blame them at all. I can't find it in myself to do so.

In my own belief, there's always a logic based way in how someone got from point A to point whatever when it comes to saying they want to CTB and plan it out.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake, voyager, Sprite_Geist and 1 other person
raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
It just feels wrong to me to insist that suicide must be a "last resort", as it implies that existence is something so desirable and worth having in the first place to the point that choosing to cease existing must be the last option.
I never understand views like this, any of the views that act like life is some kind of "gift" that is always so valuable come across as so delusional to me when they are forced onto other people.

I hate when "suicide is the last" resort type thinking gets pushed onto everyone, as just because one feels in such a way about their own situation doesn't mean that it applies to everyone else, I cannot stand the life valuing people who are unable to accept that not everyone even wants to exist in the first place.

Instead of some kind of last resort I see wanting to die as a logical reaction to existence itself, wanting to permanently free myself from the curse that is existence is all that feels rational to me.
Suicide is self care, it's a release from suffering, it would be a relief rather than a last resort, I see no value and benefit to suffering so unnecessarily just waiting around to die.
Suicide is something that should never need to be justified in anyway, I see existence itself as being enough to justify the decision to die.

If one wishes to switch off their consciousness and be permanently relieved from this existence they were unfortunate enough to be burdened with in the first place they should simply be able to, as only they are the ones trapped within themselves.

Other people cannot experience existence in the same way anyway, I don't see any benefit to existing as a conscious being cursed with the ability to suffer, existence just causes harm which is why I will always see it as preferable to not exist rather than death being a last resort.
It's the most important right to have the option to permanently find peace from all suffering, it disgusts me how the right to die isn't seen as the human right it truly is.
I mean, it's a permanent decision, so it shouldn't be taken lightly. It's just making sure you won't regret it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Same_As_Ever, Myforevercharlie, betternever2havbeen and 1 other person
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
To be honest, it's not the "last resort" part that annoys me, that's for everyone themselves to decide in what order they consider it. It's the "must" part. Nobody has the right to tell anyone else what they "must" do.

Reactions: I Can't Say
TheShyOne

TheShyOne

We all die anyway
Aug 11, 2023
I mean, it's a permanent decision, so it shouldn't be taken lightly. It's just making sure you won't regret it.
How can you regret suicide when you are dead? :)

• Love
Reactions: TheDog_, LetMeBeSad and leavingsoon99
L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
This narrative (suicide as a 'last resort') comes out of a pro-lifer narrative that "life is precious." And they can't understand that life's value is subjective. Life isn't always precious, and it's not always worth living. Being suicidal doesn't mean someone is in a "dark place" all the time. For me, I'm clear on why I'm doing it. Some people are very clear on suicide. They also understand that they have other options to "recover." However, what defines "recovery" is also subjective. This proves that there's no inherent holiness to life. It's what people try to arbitrarily attach to life. THEY see life as precious, so you should too. At least, this is what society wants. I also think that it's unfair to push this narrative onto people who just don't share in that belief. It's okay to see life as something not worth living. No matter what people may or may not have. This is just another example of human need to control everything.

Reactions: floralheaddress and hibikikyuxx
S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
It also that what if I don't want to try to recover. I'm too tired, I don't know how successful my recovery will be, I just want to be laid to rest. Sure, I have things left to try, heaps of things left to try, but I'm tired and I've already accepted my fate that death is coming for me soon. I see no reason left to live, to suffer to struggle, I also have no energy nor conviction left to do any of that. But I guess in a way suicide is the last reaort for me in the sense that I am unwilling to try anything else now aside from suicide. So with one acceptable solution, I suppose I can agrue it is indeed my last resort if anyone tries to use that agrument on me.