When did you give up on social life?

• Total voters
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
When did you realize and decide that your social life was beyond repair and a lost cause? Before you answer, I'll give a brief story of my social life.

I was born with Aspergers and had social anxiety growing up. I wasn't officially diagnosed with Aspergers until my late teens, like age 16 or so. While growing up, I often didn't have many friends, just mere acquaintances and while some people hung out with me, none of them really made any close relationships barring maybe a few (family friends or so). They hung out with me only out of pity, hence it wasn't really a genuine relationship. When I was in middle school and even the early part of high school, I was severely bullied by people. The people I thought were my friends only ridiculed me. I considered suicide and what not for the first time. Things did not get better and ironically, middle school and high school were the critical time for developing social skills. Near the end of high school, the bullying (especially overt bullying) was over, but my social skills was always fucked.

Fast forward to college, I never really connected to people, no one really hung out with me nor made any meaningful relationships and I was oftenly isolated and lonely. I could basically disappear and no one would really bat an eye (maybe roommates but that was about it). During college, I've realized that I was fucked socially and there was simply just no way for me to catch up so I've sorta just officially gave up on trying to improve as it was really hopeless. Aspergers won't likely go away. I'm not going to magically just catch up to the norm and the appropriate social skills, and I'll always be behind. It simply just isn't worth the effort and time to waste in such a pointless endeavor. (Plus, suppose that I magically succeeded, the rewards still SUCK and isn't worth it imho.)

Mini rant:
The sad thing is throughout my life and even to present day, people often assume that nothing is ever hopeless (fucking delusional people) including gaining the necessary social skills to have a successful social life like most people. The sad thing is that my parents, especially my father and my sister keeps holding on to this notion that there is always hope, it is never to late, but they're really ignorant of my situation. The same goes with the people that I am around even present day; it really is a fucking joke. Oh and I forgot to add, most people in society (like the normies and such) are not genuine, virtue signal, and spew platitudes, downplay/dismiss my grievances as non-important, so I don't miss them at all.

I only ever maintain a facade of being a normal person (often failing as people can easy sniff it out like a shark sniffing blood) just so people would not get suspicious and decide to intrude on my life (or my plans to ctb).

With all that said, when did you realize that your social life was nonexistent or it's already too late, and decide to give up bettering it?

Last edited:
Reactions: MsM3talGamer, GreenLantern, Deafsn0w and 2 others
DeaduMenuWalkingu

DeaduMenuWalkingu

Dec 6, 2018
I gave up about a year ago (mid 20's).
I finally realized that guys like me with social anxiety who are shy and awkward with the ladies and are not alpha chads are doomed in the romantic partner department.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenLantern, Deafsn0w and TAW122
Eden2k

Eden2k

Experienced
Nov 20, 2018
Two years ago, but on some level, as young as 7-years old.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
When I hit the age of 30... By that time, everyone has already formed their cliques and do not accept outsiders. And I don't get along with most people unless I put on an act because I'm so different from most people. Sure, I could put on an act and become friends with people in their early 20s but why? I don't want to be that guy. That 30 something year old guy hanging out with borderline kids, basically. Because I would have to act like a borderline kid to fit in. I don't like acting too much. It's much more pleasurable to just be yourself. What happened to my friends from the past? I ghosted them because I changed into someone who doesn't like them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and TAW122
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I finally realized that guys like me with social anxiety who are shy and awkward with the ladies and are not alpha chads are doomed in the romantic partner department.

You can still find friends though. Just not a lover. You have a few years left.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
You can still find friends though. Just not a lover. You have a few years left.
For me, I also gave up on finding friends because no one really seems to get me nor share my views. Furthermore, I have some tendency to be a social repellent since I tend to come off strong on my opinions, could be just me though..

Reactions: GreenLantern and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
GreenLantern

GreenLantern

John Stewart
Nov 18, 2018
Nice thread. I gave up on mine my last year of college. I realized that after a lifetime of being so consistently mistreated and having no support system, no friends, no family, never any prospects for romantic relationships, not being able to accomplish some goals, and not being able to even maintain a job due to the likelihood that I'll be bullied, life is just not worth it.

I also have strong opinions that others don't like, so I get that as well.

Reactions: Cya89 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
Other. Sometimes I've given up, sometimes I haven't. I do however dislike it, period. And I hope sooner rather than later I'm in a position and frame of mind to CTB

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
What's an alpha chad?

sadak_the_wanderer

sadak_the_wanderer

An appropriate painting
Mar 19, 2018
I spent a lot of time fighting against it, despite my situation being somewhat clear by the time I was twelve. I think when I was twenty-eight or so, something broke in me and I stopped swimming upstream quite so hard. In retrospect, I ought to have hung it up then. I haven't made any new friends since, dated, or anything else since that time. Life has an ugly inertia to it which pulls you along like being dragged behind a truck.

V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
When did you realize and decide that your social life was beyond repair and a lost cause? Before you answer, I'll give a brief story of my social life.

I was born with Aspergers and had social anxiety growing up. I wasn't officially diagnosed with Aspergers until my late teens, like age 16 or so. While growing up, I often didn't have many friends, just mere acquaintances and while some people hung out with me, none of them really made any close relationships barring maybe a few (family friends or so). They hung out with me only out of pity, hence it wasn't really a genuine relationship. When I was in middle school and even the early part of high school, I was severely bullied by people. The people I thought were my friends only ridiculed me. I considered suicide and what not for the first time. Things did not get better and ironically, middle school and high school were the critical time for developing social skills. Near the end of high school, the bullying (especially overt bullying) was over, but my social skills was always fucked.

Fast forward to college, I never really connected to people, no one really hung out with me nor made any meaningful relationships and I was oftenly isolated and lonely. I could basically disappear and no one would really bat an eye (maybe roommates but that was about it). During college, I've realized that I was fucked socially and there was simply just no way for me to catch up so I've sorta just officially gave up on trying to improve as it was really hopeless. Aspergers won't likely go away. I'm not going to magically just catch up to the norm and the appropriate social skills, and I'll always be behind. It simply just isn't worth the effort and time to waste in such a pointless endeavor. (Plus, suppose that I magically succeeded, the rewards still SUCK and isn't worth it imho.)

Mini rant:
The sad thing is throughout my life and even to present day, people often assume that nothing is ever hopeless (fucking delusional people) including gaining the necessary social skills to have a successful social life like most people. The sad thing is that my parents, especially my father and my sister keeps holding on to this notion that there is always hope, it is never to late, but they're really ignorant of my situation. The same goes with the people that I am around even present day; it really is a fucking joke. Oh and I forgot to add, most people in society (like the normies and such) are not genuine, virtue signal, and spew platitudes, downplay/dismiss my grievances as non-important, so I don't miss them at all.

I only ever maintain a facade of being a normal person (often failing as people can easy sniff it out like a shark sniffing blood) just so people would not get suspicious and decide to intrude on my life (or my plans to ctb).

With all that said, when did you realize that your social life was nonexistent or it's already too late, and decide to give up bettering it?

Theres hope only because they dont know the reality of the situation. Ironic. Hope that born from delusion. On the other hand I think they knew. They just dont want to face the reality. Lies are always more comforting. I only truly gave up mine only recently as for why I already wrote a whole thread about it. But I gave up on socializing pretty much around highschool. The reason for it is just an accumulation of things over the decade and finally that last event I finally said to myself fck this. Fck all of this.

I gave up on socializing simply because me and them have different view and different need regarding companionship. They cannot give me what I want. They dont need what I offer. So its better we never talk or meet at all. Its simple as that.

Reactions: sif and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Theres hope only because they dont know the reality of the situation. Ironic. Hope that born from delusion. On the other hand I think they knew. They just dont want to face the reality. Lies are always more comforting. I only truly gave up mine only recently as for why I already wrote a whole thread about it. But I gave up on socializing pretty much around highschool. The reason for it is just an accumulation of things over the decade and finally that last event I finally said to myself fck this. Fck all of this.

I gave up on socializing simply because me and them have different view and different need regarding companionship. They cannot give me what I want. They dont need what I offer. So its better we never talk or meet at all. Its simple as that.

Good points and your situation is similar to mine in several ways. Plus, nowadays I just sorta maintain a weak front just so people don't get red flagged or concerned about my welfare. I also hate goody two shoes people, especially those who think they know what's best for me and feel that it is necessary to give unwanted advice, help, or other shit.

Reactions: sif and Vegrau
Jessicastripout

Jessicastripout

Dec 15, 2018
around age 9

started disassociating really hard from not being able to be openly a girl and from my abuse.

ever since then ive spent nearly all day every day on my computer.

Reactions: sif
M

Muri

dead and gone
Nov 6, 2018
I was 9 I tried starting conversation in school and nobody talked to me.

V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
Good points and your situation is similar to mine in several ways. Plus, nowadays I just sorta maintain a weak front just so people don't get red flagged or concerned about my welfare. I also hate goody two shoes people, especially those who think they know what's best for me and feel that it is necessary to give unwanted advice, help, or other shit.

Well after reading both of your threads, yeah I can see our similarities and I got the bigger picture of your life.. I hate that as well. Teaching me forcing to live their way. Oh how much I resent that. I understand that completely. I also I hope I didnt gave you any unwanted advice. Tell me if I did. It is never my intention. I am just talkative.

As for me when people want to help me. I just said to them can you give me what I want? The look on their face is priceless.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
@Jessicastripout Ouch, that is really damaging and yes it sucks when younger people are faced with abuse from their peers or family. My childhood sucked for a large amount, stemming from bullies and shitty home life.

@Muri I think in my case, it was middle school when the bullying started but high school was when it was really intense. It was also a time where I isolated myself due to severe bullying from several different cliques and circles.

As for me when people want to help me. I just said to them can you give me what I want? The look on their face is priceless.

Yeah I think most people just want to appear helpful rather than be helpful.