BabyYoda

BabyYoda

F*ck this sh!t I'm out
Dec 30, 2019
The one that has done you more harm than good.

• Hugs
Reactions: Final Escape and Brick In The Wall
waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
One thing I often see people say when it comes to dating is "When you aren't looking for a date/love, that is when it happens to you" which I think is really bad advice especially if you're a guy. Fact of the matter is if you're not actively pursuing dates as a guy it's not going to happen unless you're an outlier in the looks department or really tall. This advice may work for women (although if you don't put yourself out there itll be more difficult to find a date as well) since they are pursued by guys on a regular basis, but the vast majority of guys live in a reality where this doesn't happen to us.

Another thing id say that isn't so much advice, but I personally think it's a mistake in our culture to have the expectation to go to college right after high school. Most people don't even know who they are, what they're interested in, and what they want to do with their lives. Going to college and then being forced to pick a major which will put you on a certain trajectory for the rest of your life is something that I don't think most 19-21 year olds are ready for.

In my opinion, I think it would be better if people waited like 2 years or so after high school before going to college. Go travel, or join the Peace Core, or get a part time job and have fun with your life. In the mean time read books and stuff online to get an idea of what interests you and what doesn't. Personally I wish I had done this because I was ill prepared to pick a major by the time I had to.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall and BabyYoda
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
"Don't take him to plastic surgeons it's a mental issue" - The experts. Well I did have a mental issue. Being stupid enough to go along with it. Not taking matters into my own hands until it was too late.

Reactions: BabyYoda
BabyYoda

BabyYoda

F*ck this sh!t I'm out
Dec 30, 2019
This advice may work for women (although if you don't put yourself out there itll be more difficult to find a date as well) since they are pursued by guys on a regular basis, but the vast majority of guys live in a reality where this doesn't happen to us.
I see. I still find in immensely difficult for someone to become interested in me since I'm not exactly attractive or popular. Going to a school full of attractive people isn't helping either because it decreases my chances.

In my opinion, I think it would be better if people waited like 2 years or so after high school before going to college. Go travel, or join the Peace Core, or get a part time job and have fun with your life. In the mean time read books and stuff online to get an idea of what interests you and what doesn't. Personally I wish I had done this because I was ill prepared to pick a major by the time I had to.
I'm not as fond of my major as I should be, but I don't think shifting is necessary because my professor told me that there were graduate students from my major who pursued the same career that I want. So I need to take a minor if I want that *exact* thing.

Beautiful_Disgrace

Beautiful_Disgrace

Invisible shadow
Mar 8, 2020
The worst advice I have ever gotten was to stop talking about my depression to people. I was told that at a very early age, by my parents. All of my issues were to be kept in the family.

My family is a bunch of emotionally abusive assholes. I don't trust friends with my problems, and even the ones I do, I can't talk to them. I don't want to talk to anyone when I'm depressed because it always ruins everyone's image of me.

• Hugs
Reactions: the box is empty, highlyvolatile, Brick In The Wall and 1 other person
Oyoy

Oyoy

Spatula
Feb 2, 2020
To be careful. It felt like a self fulfilling prophesy. It was shaming me for not staying at home. It sent me a message that I was bad for living.

• Hugs
Reactions: BabyYoda and Brick In The Wall
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Think of what others would say... This ruins my life even today.

Reactions: faraway_beach, highlyvolatile, BabyYoda and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
My favourite people on this old rock named Earth are the so-called life coaches. You know, those types who, having attained such wisdom and insight into the mysteries of life, feel compelled to enlighten the rest of us, poor souls, who fumble in the darkness of our ignorence.

Advice no 1 from the life coach:

"Everything is possible if you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it."

• Love
Reactions: highlyvolatile, BabyYoda, waterbottleman and 2 others
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
I remember when I got bullied at school when I was 11 years old and the teacher told me to stand in front of the class, and she lined up every classmate and told them all to give me a compliment, one by one, and it was absolutely one of the most humiliating things that has ever happened to me. I remember being so ashamed, too. I'm not sure if this is a good answer to your question, i'm sorry.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: lostangel, highlyvolatile, BabyYoda and 4 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I remember when I got bullied at school when I was 11 years old and the teacher told me to stand in front of the class, and she lined up every classmate and told them all to give me a compliment, one by one, and it was absolutely one of the most humiliating things that has ever happened to me. I remember being so ashamed, too. I'm not sure if this is a good answer to your question, i'm sorry.

Geez! I am flabbergasted. Where did that person get their teaching degree? University of torture and humiliation?

Reactions: 21Neberg and Oyoy
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
My favourite people on this old rock named Earth are the so-called life coaches. You know, those types who, having attained such wisdom and insight into the mysteries of life, feel compelled to enlighten the rest of us, poor souls, who fumble in the darkness of our ignorence.

Advice no 1 from the life coach:

"Everything is possible if you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it."
Life coaches! Hahahahahah! Muhahahahahahahahaha! I point and laugh at life coaches. I could do that job. I can give great advice. I can't take it though.

Reactions: faraway_beach and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Life coaches! Hahahahahah! Muhahahahahahahahaha! I point and laugh at life coaches. I could do that job. I can give great advice. I can't take it though.

Your potato is so friggin' happy, I get life coach vibes from your avatar! Stop spreading so much joy, it's downright insulting :ahhha:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Your potato is so friggin' happy, I get life coach vibes from your avatar! Stop spreading so much joy, it's downright insulting :ahhha:
My potato is ironically happy. He's laughing at you. And me. He's laughing at all of us. Beware the happy potato. Can you see from the graphic how he doesn't quite fit in?

Reactions: Oyoy
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
My potato is ironically happy. He's laughing at you. And me. He's laughing at all of us. Beware the happy potato. Can you see from the graphic how he doesn't quite fit in?

Spoken like a true graphic designer!

No, I am afraid I did not pick up on that, but now that you mention it, I see it.

So, the potato is the misfit and the Moebius strip is society.

Reactions: Oyoy
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
"It's not your fault"

This one came up a lot when I was younger. I ended up blaming anyone but myself for everything that happened in my life and having the same people confirm it. No self responsibility. Perennial victim. Towards the end, I wouldn't try anything unless I had a good excuse for why I failed. All my friends and some family eventually got sick of my complaining, so I started trying to complain for others instead of myself. But eventually they saw through that too. Martyr syndrome is just a more sophisticated perennial victim, that appears selfless but is still searching for approval through blame. I was a douche back then. It was entirely my fault. And owning that was the only way out.

Reactions: highlyvolatile and BabyYoda
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Spoken like a true graphic designer!

No, I am afraid I did not pick up on that, but now that you mention it, I see it.

So, the potato is the misfit and the Moebius strip is society.
Not quite, no, though ofc you can interpret it like that if you wish. You'll have to look far closer than that (if you want to) and I'm not going to tell you nenarnenar :blarg:

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I am looking ... but I ain't seeing. Be kind and give us a clue :-)

Is it the eyes?

Or the position in relation to the strip?

a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
"Life is what you make of it."
-- my father
alternatively:

"Why? Having kids is a blessing!"

as an answer to me saying I'm glad at least I don't have any children. Yeah dad, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself.

Reactions: highlyvolatile, Epsilon0 and BabyYoda
A

Anxietykillsme

Feb 27, 2020
Wow, I can't believe that. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, what an awful experience.

Reactions: 21Neberg
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
If everyone is forced to do something, than you are not smarter no do it. So wrong...:)

Reactions: highlyvolatile and BabyYoda
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Reactions: Oyoy and Anxietykillsme
S

silent staring void

Student
Jan 22, 2020
  • Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: Oyoy, Epsilon0 and Anxietykillsme
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Hahahaah I've been trying to think and I've got it finally...

'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.'

Reactions: Broken Chimera, Midnight, highlyvolatile and 3 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
"Life is what you make of it."
-- my father
alternatively:

"Why? Having kids is a blessing!"

as an answer to me saying I'm glad at least I don't have any children. Yeah dad, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself.

:pfff:

M

Mizzmini45

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2019
Hahahaah I've been trying to think and I've got it finally...

'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.'
I hate that saying. It's so false

Reactions: Broken Chimera, a.n.kirillov, highlyvolatile and 1 other person
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
Geez! I am flabbergasted. Where did that person get their teaching degree? University of torture and humiliation?
Haha that's quite possible. If the situation wasn't fun enough, she's a good friend of my mom so when I was young she'd often be at my house too. I remember being afraid to go downstairs when she was there. Even today, I feel rather uneasy when I pass her house when I go to visit my parents. Interesting how it's influenced me I suppose.

• Aww..
Reactions: Epsilon0
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
The psychopath I mean psychiatrist summed up in a 20 minute visit that I have ADD and prescribed me Adderall (prescription meth) which led me to become a addicted, harmed my relationships. I felt I had to go to school to get a job landing me with student loan debt for worthless jobs lol! All my friends were going to college and I thought it was mandatory unless u want to work at a restaurant for the rest of your life. Encouragement by doctors to be on birth control rather than telling me to abstain until I'm in a commited relationship with a reliable partner, finding a good provider earlier than later as it's easier if u are a young woman. This sadly led to abortions and abortion is traumatic and never leaves u. Selling of abortion in movies in the 80's like in dirty dancing, fast times at ridgemont high normalized abortion. Women see these movies as kids and think abortion isn't that big of a deal and that if u have an inconvenient pregnancy u can just have your baby murdered.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: BabyYoda, Oyoy and Epsilon0
porfin1234

porfin1234

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Become a teacher.

• Aww..
Reactions: BabyYoda, Final Escape and Oyoy