banger12

banger12

Former nerd; current burden
Aug 1, 2024
Hello. Just a couple miscellaneous questions relating to purchasing a firearm that I'll hopefully be able to use on myself in the near term. And yes I am a US citizen

1. Can I pay in credit card?
2. What should I expect from background check?
3. Will family be contacted? (Some family members are already concerned about my mental health. If they were contacted they'd know I was planning to kill myself)
4. Will my employer be contacted? (I work for a family member)
5. Can I order online to an FFL and schedule a pick up date? Or will I need to pick it up immediately after purchase?
6. Will I need to come in multiple times or just once?
7. Just general stuff to expect from background check? Possible things that may come up and complicate suicide plan?

Sorry I don't know much about firearms and I'm very inexperienced so maybe some of this is obvious stuff. I also live with family so I kinda need to do this behind their back and be somewhat sneaky to prevent them from stopping my suicide.

Of course I wish I could just be upfront about all of this but we don't live in a world in which a 22 year old is allowed to make decisions about their own mortality. Fucking ridiculous.

Reactions: nihilistic_dragon
schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
1. Yes - if you can't it would be due to the FFL you're buying from, just a business policy
2. Anything part of a red flag law could/would come up if it was reported and ended up in FBI NICS
3. No, unless you did something or said something suspicious during the purchase attempt and LE was contacted
4. No - but the above applies
5. Yeah, but it's no different than purchasing from store inventory, all the above apply. The FFL transfer is the same.
6. It depends, if you get flagged for a delay it's possible, but in your case a delay probably means a denial.
7. It's just going to result in an approval, a delay, or a denial. Don't volunteer information. Don't look nervous (easier said than done). Act a little surprised if you get a denial. Just be like "huh, I wonder why". They'll give you a pamphlet to contact the entity of your state who handles the transaction, like the state police usually. If you get a denial, it's usually going to take months or years to resolve, so take that as a sign that you're not going to be using a legally purchased weapon to CTB. There are gun shows, but given you know you have a psych condition, any purchase or possession is technically illegal at a federal and state level, whether you have to go through a background check or not.

• Informative
Reactions: banger12
J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
Hello. Just a couple miscellaneous questions relating to purchasing a firearm that I'll hopefully be able to use on myself in the near term. And yes I am a US citizen

1. Can I pay in credit card? Yes
2. What should I expect from background check?
3. Will family be contacted? (Some family members are already concerned about my mental health. If they were contacted they'd know I was planning to kill myself)
4. Will my employer be contacted? (I work for a family member)
5. Can I order online to an FFL and schedule a pick up date? Or will I need to pick it up immediately after purchase?
6. Will I need to come in multiple times or just once?
7. Just general stuff to expect from background check? Possible things that may come up and complicate suicide plan?

Sorry I don't know much about firearms and I'm very inexperienced so maybe some of this is obvious stuff. I also live with family so I kinda need to do this behind their back and be somewhat sneaky to prevent them from stopping my suicide.

Of course I wish I could just be upfront about all of this but we don't live in a world in which a 22 year old is allowed to make decisions about their own mortality. Fucking ridiculous.
It really depends on what state your in and what firearms you want to purchase. If you live in a blue state you may have to deal with waiting periods on handguns. Most red states allow purchase immediately after background check so within 15 20 min. Most red states don't do background checks for long guns but some retailers do. I.e. walmart does checks on long guns nationwide AFAIK. Research the laws applicable to your state. Also keep in mind if your state has wonky gun laws you can always go to a more friendly state as long as you can pass b/c.

• Informative
O

onewayticket123

Jul 28, 2023
Hi, I just want to update this thread with my own question. I've committed myself to a psychiatric facility twice. The first time, I did it to escape my parents and receive legally mandated psychiatric assistance. They refused to let me see a doctor because they knew the doctor would call CPS. The second time I went, it was also voluntary. I'm not sure what my medical papers look like.

I've never been convicted of a crime, but I don't know which details are called into question during a background check.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Well verbiage wise you can't commit yourself but you can admit yourself. Voluntary admission is not part of the definition of commission.

J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
Hi, I just want to update this thread with my own question. I've committed myself to a psychiatric facility twice. The first time, I did it to escape my parents and receive legally mandated psychiatric assistance. They refused to let me see a doctor because they knew the doctor would call CPS. The second time I went, it was also voluntary. I'm not sure what my medical papers look like.

I've never been convicted of a crime, but I don't know which details are called into question during a background check.
Sorry I don't know. I don't have any kind of mh paper trail. Are you in U.S.? If so then check online with your states laws and federal laws.

O

onewayticket123

Jul 28, 2023
Sorry I don't know. I don't have any kind of mh paper trail. Are you in U.S.? If so then check online with your states laws and federal laws.
Yes, I'm a U.S. citizen in a blue state on the east coast. Ideally, I'd be traveling to a red state.

J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
Yes, I'm a U.S. citizen in a blue state on the east coast. Ideally, I'd be traveling to a red state.
If you have a state in mind I would research that particular states laws and the federal law concerning voluntary commitment. Also I can tell you even in red states it varies greatly depending on what firearm you will want. Long guns are typically easier to purchase no check like I said in some states depending on where you purchase.

L

losingsteam3141

Grad Student USA
Aug 30, 2024
Im not sure if I remember correctly, but I think if you travel to a state to buy a gun, the laws follow the state of your drivers license, not the state youre currently in.

J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
Im not sure if I remember correctly, but I think if you travel to a state to buy a gun, the laws follow the state of your drivers license, not the state youre currently in.
This isn't true last I knew. I grew up I. Mi which has pretty stringent gun laws. My father and brother both easily purchased handguns in TX where my other brother lives while on vacation. It's been a few years so laws may have changed but I don't think so. In my state lots of people from surrounding liberal states come to purchase guns ive sold some and was never told to go by their state laws.(I used to work at a wal mart in the sporting good section about a year ago)

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
This isn't true last I knew. I grew up I. Mi which has pretty stringent gun laws. My father and brother both easily purchased handguns in TX where my other brother lives while on vacation. It's been a few years so laws may have changed but I don't think so. In my state lots of people from surrounding liberal states come to purchase guns ive sold some and was never told to go by their state laws.(I used to work at a wal mart in the sporting good section about a year ago)
It is dependent on the state you're physically in. Laws change everywhere on a virtually constant basis, but if you have out of state identification and no proof of residency in the state you're trying to physically do the FFL transfer in some states won't let you purchase or possess. There are variations of acceptance and reciprocity of concealed carry permits and/or state issued firearm owner ID cards. At one point I know Arizona would not accept a driver's license from out of state as proof of legal residency in the US, which is legitimate. Arizona had maybe still has somewhat stringent proof of citizenship or residency in the US required to obtain a driver's license. For instance, you can be a non-citizen permanent resident there and legally own firearms and a concealed permit, so long as you have never renounced Us citizenship which is itself a federal law for possession.