°Celsuis_Caesar

°Celsuis_Caesar

Sanctioned Suicide is well worth a mass
Jan 10, 2022
If everything has been done over and over again and the universe and earth, humanity, etc will eventually end, what is the point of doing anything except CTB?

(Don't mean to sound cultish with the dying part)

Thanks for your comments

Reactions: natali4, _Minsk and pthnrdnojvsc
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Everything we do is because we want to. And we want to because we feel drawn to it, we enjoy doing that, or in some cases we enjoy the idea of what we will reach when our struggle is finalized. It really doesn't have much to do with whether we leave an eternal legacy (metaphysical reality) or if we are quickly buried and forgotten (pragmatic/physical reality).

OK, think of life in this way. You are surrounded by your dear friends, seated in a couch, with the arms extended across the back of the love of your life. Suddenly, your favourite song starts sounding, and you all start dancing and laughing. It doesn't matter that nobody is observing the group from outside, or if you aren't taking photographs of the moment so that it can be remembered, or if you will all grow old, become sick and die... What matters is that you are dancing to your favourite song surrounded by your friends and with the love of your life.

Of course, this pragmatic and hedonistic/carpe diem approach has the downside that well... Some of us aren't having such a great time. Is our life worth the trouble? Everyone has to decide for themselves. But at least philosophically it brought me peace of mind to adopt this simplified conception of life as a movement that moves because it likes moving, and we don't really need to worry about where the movement leads all of the time. I am positive that it is going somewhere, personally, but I couldn't say where.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TakeMeBack07, Marktheghost, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
If everything has been done over and over again and the universe and earth, humanity, etc will eventually end, what is the point of doing anything except CTB?

(Don't mean to sound cultish with the dying part)

Thanks for your comments
I wonder the same, eventually our universe will disappear and everything will become nothing, but I guess we are made for survival and do something to guarantee it

Reactions: natali4, pthnrdnojvsc and °Celsuis_Caesar
W

WiltedSoul

Feb 21, 2022
Because you want to. :) Yeah, it's kind of sad that it doesn't have much more meaning than that, I know.

But also, it's not technically true that everything has been done over and over again, especially if you're not a hardcore creationist. For example? Humanity has existed for 200,000 years, but we've only organized ourselves into actual societies for the past 10,000 or so.

Before that, nobody grew any crops, nobody accumulated any wealth. There was no centralized leadership in the same sense as today, as people lived in small bands and they had to be nomadic, as resources for human beings don't generally all grow/exist in one area without us deliberately putting them there. There were no domesticated animals except for dogs.

The division of labor was not so specialized. Women tended to gather and rear children, while men tended to take on more physical tasks like hunting, fighting .etc., but for the most part people were their own doctors, they made their own clothing, they gathered and processed their own food, they made their own tools and so on. There was no shortcut, there was nobody you could pay to outsource these things. Either you knew how, or you died.

To put this all in perspective, imagine how different the world was only a few hundred years ago. Life in the 1800s was radically different from our lives today, yet even they were far more advanced than the majority of people that ever lived. They were innovative, cutting edge. Grug the caveman and his ilk would probably think they were gods, as would the souls who first transitioned into agriculture and sedentary society in the first place.

Our miserable asses today enjoy luxury and convenience the likes of which no other living creature, let alone our own ancestors, have ever seen or heard of.

And that's disregarding the fact that as far as we know, we're also the only ape lineage (or any animal in general) that's taken to such a radical lifestyle: we descend from herbivorous, tree dwelling apes, yet we somehow became spear chucking, music loving, culture-creating, language-having endurance predators.

That hadn't been done before in the entire history of the planet until we did it.

Yeah, unfortunately none of it has any greater meaning or purpose and it's depressing as all hell, so don't think I'm trying to invalidate you by saying all of this. I'm just offering a different perspective, I guess. Do what you will with it; I'm not judging you or trying to convince you to do anything in particular.

Personally, I don't think life would be much better even if it did have some kind of grand scheme behind it. Pain is pain even if you know why you're suffering, you know? The knowledge of some epic destiny beyond one's reach doesn't bring back lost relatives, it doesn't fix anhedonia. It'd be even more depressing, probably - you're not the "main character" after all. It'd be pretty lousy to know the purpose of humanity and life itself was actually to reach and colonize other galaxies one day and you're only a minor puzzle piece, if that makes sense.

It's probably better that it's all meaningless - this way, we can assign our own meaning and joy to things, if we so wish. We are all potentially as important as we want to be. You or I could up and decide at anytime that the purpose of life is to, I don't know, help others or some shit, and that would technically be true because we decided it was. Life could be about enjoying lots of good coffee. Itd be silly, but never technically incorrect.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: natali4, Istanbulite, °Celsuis_Caesar and 1 other person
downsolong

downsolong

Dec 9, 2021
i was wondering what might be the point if the universe never ended. thinking on your question at the same time, i wonder what if each moment continued to exist forever, or till some end.

Reactions: °Celsuis_Caesar
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
There is no point to doing anything, nothing really matters, and our lives are completely meaningless. Everything we do is just for the sake of it. Our lives are just a distraction from death, our inevitable fate. Life is just a pointless experience that we go through for the sake of it.

Reactions: natali4, demuic and trying.to.find.peace
Istanbulite

Istanbulite

Jan 14, 2022
Because you want to. :) Yeah, it's kind of sad that it doesn't have much more meaning than that, I know.

But also, it's not technically true that everything has been done over and over again, especially if you're not a hardcore creationist. For example? Humanity has existed for 200,000 years, but we've only organized ourselves into actual societies for the past 10,000 or so.

Before that, nobody grew any crops, nobody accumulated any wealth. There was no centralized leadership in the same sense as today, as people lived in small bands and they had to be nomadic, as resources for human beings don't generally all grow/exist in one area without us deliberately putting them there. There were no domesticated animals except for dogs.

The division of labor was not so specialized. Women tended to gather and rear children, while men tended to take on more physical tasks like hunting, fighting .etc., but for the most part people were their own doctors, they made their own clothing, they gathered and processed their own food, they made their own tools and so on. There was no shortcut, there was nobody you could pay to outsource these things. Either you knew how, or you died.

To put this all in perspective, imagine how different the world was only a few hundred years ago. Life in the 1800s was radically different from our lives today, yet even they were far more advanced than the majority of people that ever lived. They were innovative, cutting edge. Grug the caveman and his ilk would probably think they were gods, as would the souls who first transitioned into agriculture and sedentary society in the first place.

Our miserable asses today enjoy luxury and convenience the likes of which no other living creature, let alone our own ancestors, have ever seen or heard of.

And that's disregarding the fact that as far as we know, we're also the only ape lineage (or any animal in general) that's taken to such a radical lifestyle: we descend from herbivorous, tree dwelling apes, yet we somehow became spear chucking, music loving, culture-creating, language-having endurance predators.

That hadn't been done before in the entire history of the planet until we did it.

Yeah, unfortunately none of it has any greater meaning or purpose and it's depressing as all hell, so don't think I'm trying to invalidate you by saying all of this. I'm just offering a different perspective, I guess. Do what you will with it; I'm not judging you or trying to convince you to do anything in particular.

Personally, I don't think life would be much better even if it did have some kind of grand scheme behind it. Pain is pain even if you know why you're suffering, you know? The knowledge of some epic destiny beyond one's reach doesn't bring back lost relatives, it doesn't fix anhedonia. It'd be even more depressing, probably - you're not the "main character" after all. It'd be pretty lousy to know the purpose of humanity and life itself was actually to reach and colonize other galaxies one day and you're only a minor puzzle piece, if that makes sense.

It's probably better that it's all meaningless - this way, we can assign our own meaning and joy to things, if we so wish. We are all potentially as important as we want to be. You or I could up and decide at anytime that the purpose of life is to, I don't know, help others or some shit, and that would technically be true because we decided it was. Life could be about enjoying lots of good coffee. Itd be silly, but never technically incorrect.
Adding to this I recommend Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I feel the same way. I had plans to book a few trips this year (as it will probably be my last) but I just don't have the energy or enthusiasm anymore. I don't want to travel (far at least) or anything. I do enjoy watching people go to different countries via watching youtube videos. So, I just live my life through other peoples experiences. I don't even enjoying buying stuff anymore. I am becoming numb to this reality and for me 'that's a good thing'. I have to disengage and get ready to quietly ctb. That's about it really.

Reactions: SuicidallyCurious
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
struggled with this too because used to believe in progress and all. Always wondered why so many people sabotaged themselves and the society they live in.

I think end of the day we're all just dumb apes driven by the base needs.

Reactions: Lost Magic
N

Natty

Student
Jul 27, 2020
Well, this one is easy. Doing these types of things can feel incredible, and if you're already here, why not feel those things if you have the resources/time?

There is no way you you've gone through life without having something make you feel good, would you not want to feel that way right now if you could? Of course you would, even if you were 100% certain that it was only temporary and didn't matter at all in the long run.

Reactions: SuicidallyCurious