What are humans more terrified of: the unknown or the truth?

• The unknown

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • The truth

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Equally both

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
To most humans, the most atrocious horror in existence is the unknown. I've suspected one of the reasons being that the unknown harbors truths that humans cannot, or will not, acknowledge or comprehend. A few days ago, this question popped into my mind: what are humans more terrified of: the unknown or the truth?

In fact, this question resembles one of the first cryptic messages Noah Maxwell from TribeTwelve receives: "Who is more foolish: the boy that is afraid of the dark or the man that is afraid of the light?"

Reactions: lobster salad, Élégie, freedompass and 7 others
AQUA

AQUA

Headstone
Dec 2, 2020
The unknown by far!

There is a reason there are more news organisations than historical ones and, in general, get taken more seriously.
If historical organisations report on what MIGHT have happened in the past, they get called conspiracy theorists, but when the news does the same (except reporting on the future), they get praised senselessly; most often, its because they select certain things that reinforce their audiences paranoia instead of having a non-bias view, unlike most historians.

Time and time again, the things that happened will happen. It's a part of the eternal recurrence

• Hugs
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
The unknown. I'm always for the truth.

• Love
Reactions: Trannydiary, Sakura94, Rogue Proxy and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
The truth is unknown. :heh:

GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Wow
Reactions: WonderingSoul, Élégie, Hate you and 2 others
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
Curiosity killed the cat, be careful out there. 🤗
Ahah that was funny. I like that expression and I also like your profile picture. Thank you. Take care of yourself too :)

• Love
Reactions: AQUA
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
I think that both.

The truth can be terrorific if hits an important thing. If affects to the reality itself, my cosmovision, my nucle of personality, my religion, brings out a child abuse or something else... The cognitive dissonance & sensation of your personal values, even your believes, being destroyed... Fuck. It can be terrorific and produce a huge rejection. Much religious/political fanatics & extremists borns as overreaction. (Or other mental dissorders like PTSD)

and about the unknown... Can happen 2 thinhs:
-Afraid of the unknown bringing a hard/terrible truth (fear of the previous point happening)

-AFraid of predators/catastrophes out there in the dark of the night. Perhaps beyond the stars, deep in the sea or maybe civilizations lurking in a 4th dimmensin

Reactions: Rogue Proxy
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think people are far more afraid of the unknown, especially the people who believe in their truth over others. I think there are many people who have their own ideas of the truth and are far from afraid of it nor are they afraid of the real truth because it and their own truths are one and the same.

Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
Curiosity killed the cat, be careful out there. 🤗
The full version of that proverb reads as "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back."

Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
"Don't be afraid of the unknown" is just a gimmick to get you to buy the new flavor of poptarts or stick the new music-playing micro-electrocuting dildo up your anus and then congratulate yourself for being really progressive and avant-garde. I don't know which people fear more. I don't know if modern man has very many deep fears. But he's certainly most *annoyed* by people who will give you the honest truth as they see it.

hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
People are hostile to the truth when it contradicts what they believe, or if it's unsavory to their delicate sensibilities.

Reactions: LucyB, Élégie, lofticries and 2 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
The truth.

At least with the unknown you can make up whatever bullshit that suits you.

With the truth there is no way around it.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Roughly speaking, we're scared of (real, imagined, implied or mistaken) threats to our genetic interests. They could be true, false, unknown, or known.

freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
To most humans, the most atrocious horror in existence is the unknown. I've suspected one of the reasons being that the unknown harbors truths that humans cannot, or will not, acknowledge or comprehend. A few days ago, this question popped into my mind: what are humans more terrified of: the unknown or the truth?

In fact, this question resembles one of the first cryptic messages Noah Maxwell from TribeTwelve receives: "Who is more foolish: the boy that is afraid of the dark or the man that is afraid of the light?"
I love the profundity of your question and that quote is spot on. For me it's the unknown every time. I don't see the truth as an enemy but I have certainly seen, known and observed many who do. I mean. What's the worst thing I can learn? That those I thought loved me secretly considered me a piece of shit? That would hardly be a surprise at this point and I don't have many feelings left to hurt.

The fear of death and of ctb is primarily a fear of the unknown. Even physical or mental agony at least is familiar. Ctb requires us to consciously and knowingly erase everything we have ever known. Whatever our personal beliefs there is no way of knowing what lies 'beyond'. So yes, it's scary as all hell. This website would have no need to exist if it wasn't.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy
novem

novem

Experienced
May 9, 2022
The unknown leaves you hope, but the truth does not - you go straight to grief.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
In general: both equally. Human beings fear the unknown because there could be a threat lurking within it - one which they are unprepared for. Humans fear the truth because it threatens to show them the unknown.

Reactions: Élégie and demuic
lobster salad

lobster salad

overcooked :(
Aug 27, 2020
Everything is worrying and stressful. I would rather not think at all, and so the end of consciousness when i die sounds comforting.

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals