Praying 4 a Miracle

Praying 4 a Miracle

Student
Sep 22, 2024
According to a very reliable source, the National Institute of Health (NIH), almost half (45%) of all Americans have at least one chronic disease. One in three Americans are suffering from multiple chronic conditions (MCC's). This is just an example of one country in the world, and America's statistics in this area may be slightly higher than some other countries, but not by much.

What these stats prove, is that there is a lot more suffering going on in this world from chronic health conditions, than the vast majority of us realize. It is a huge global reality. My point is that we're not alone in this. There are currently 400 million people in the world who qualify for legal assisted dying programs, and we all know that the vast majority of people who are suffering in the world do NOT currently qualify. This means there are at least a billion people (out of 8.2 billion in total) who are suffering intensely in this world (NOT include those who are suffering from extreme poverty).

Most of these people have the potential to recover, and will NOT commit suicide in some form or fashion. There's a lot of comfort to be had in knowing that we are not alone in this. I also believe that as legal assisted dying programs around the world expand, this will also dramatically reduced anxiety and stress for all who are suffering.

We won't feel as trapped and desperate, with the knowledge that there will be a peaceful, safe, and humane alternative that will be available to most if not all of us in the not-too-distant future. This will also help to reduce overall suicide rates globally.

I think what we all need now is hope. The hope that our suffering will not continue endlessly. The more peace and the less anxiety we feel about this, the better our chances of recovery. There are major changes that need to take place in our world regarding this issue.

When we look at the sheer numbers of people who are suffering from chronic diseases in the world, it's pretty clear that this is one of the most important and pressing issues facing us today (if not THE most important)! The more we discuss it, the better.

Do you agree and/or have any stats to add?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: PhDone and vampire2002
PI3.14

PI3.14

π
Oct 4, 2024
Most people experience some kind of suffering but we don't necessarily experience the same level of suffering.

You could lose your parents while you are financially independent, have your own house, in a great relationship...etc or you can lose them while you're financially broke, still living with parents, and still single.

If I were in the second scenario, I will feel more suffering since the environment in that case amplify whatever painful experience one goes through.

P

PhDone

Student
Jul 29, 2024
Theres something incredibly traumatising about feeling trapped. Having no way out, no option but to sit in this suffering is excruciating. I think this is a layer beyond imagination. Its not something experienced in any non-chronic illness. I agree that knowing you have an option if you need it could be game changing. Many wouldnt take the option. It could alleviate the mental suffering that is additional to many illnesses.

Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle and broth0100
Y

Young.Werther

Student
Apr 11, 2023
Why do you write in all bold with random words capitalized?

Also I don't think I really understand. I feel like a lot of pro-life sites have this "you are not alone" message and I never got it. Can you explain why this is supposed to be a comfort (or perhaps why it is comforting to some)? I see it as having me take comfort in other people's pain, and I don't see the appeal in that. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Praying 4 a Miracle

Praying 4 a Miracle

Student
Sep 22, 2024
Why do you write in all bold with random words capitalized?

Also I don't think I really understand. I feel like a lot of pro-life sites have this "you are not alone" message and I never got it. Can you explain why this is supposed to be a comfort (or perhaps why it is comforting to some)? I see it as having me take comfort in other people's pain, and I don't see the appeal in that. Maybe I'm missing something though.
The fact that there are many who are suffering in the world is terrible and horrific. We desperately wish that this were not the case, but it is important that we understand the reality of the situation. It's also important that governments and other policy-makers understand this reality. The fact that there are so many people suffering in the world from chronic health conditions, will put pressure on those in power to make important, positive changes, such as expanding medically assisted dying programs for adults who choose it. Also I use bold font because it's easier to read, and capitalize words for emphasis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Young.Werther