Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023
With the exception of terminal or severe chronic pain cases where time is of the essence, ideally people should try to become emotionally stabilized and spend some considerable time both:

(a) deliberating the pros and cons of dying and their chosen method (in terms of pain, reliability, access).

(b) spend some serious time preparing psychospiritually. There's a lot of emotional and existential baggage that comes with dying and people ought not to die alone. Having at least one trusted person to help cope with dying is paramount to dying peacefully and if there's any chance a person might consider recovery, talking/disclosing with a trusted person (someone who validates the desire to die) empowers person-centered decision making.

What do you guys think? Are there people in this forum dying spontaneously/prematurely? It's an important philosophical question underpinning the principles of the right to die movement.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Achromatix, ihateearth, fleetingnight and 21 others
shironeko

shironeko

Misfortune incarnate
Sep 9, 2024
Wow. I've been on that waitlist for years.

Reactions: libitina, Mateira, apearl and 3 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
depends on whats cause you to be suicidal to how long you should leave the chance of recovery upto some situations have no possible way of ever getting any better, some situations might indeed feel hopeless, and the timeline for potential recovery can vary depending on the causes of suicidal feelings. For example, someone facing a terminal illness or severe chronic pain might have a different perspective than someone struggling with mental health challenges, financial issues, or relationship problems.

When the root cause of suicidal is something like an incurable condition, the focus might shift more towards managing suffering and maintaining dignity rather than holding out for recovery. On the other hand, when the issues are more situational or psychological, even though they can feel unbearable, there might still be a chance for things to improve with time, support, or treatment.

It seems like a lot of it boils down to personal circumstances, which is why a one-size-fits-all approach to how long someone should wait before making irreversible decisions might not always be appropriate. Having access to honest conversations, whether with professionals or trusted individuals, could help determine the possibility of things getting better or not.

Reactions: Fall_Apart, opheliaoveragain, mango-meridian and 4 others
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
It definitely makes sense to evaluate your options. I've been on this forum for 6 years and it hasn't changed much in terms of my suicidality. But I think suicide should be a last resort option, personally, as in, try out things that could improve your situation. You only die once and there is no coming back so exhausting possibilities makes sense to me. But then again, I didn't exhaust all options, because I know I don't respond well to a lot of the treatment so yeah... it's a personal decision in the end, like you and only you decide when it's enough. Nobody else can make that decision and that's why it's our philosophy in this forum.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rhizomorph1, imsocold, NoLoveNoHope and 15 others
protector_iorek

protector_iorek

Sep 26, 2023
It's unrealistic to expect people to have the "perfect" conditions or trusted people in their lives for death. Ideally your description is what hospice is supposed to be or look like, and that's certainly imperfect.

I suspect others feel the same way as me: I'm suicidal partially because I have no one I trust or love in my life, and no one who trusts or loves me. How am I supposed to find someone to support me in death? How am I supposed to build such a relationship out of nothing?

Many of us have lost everyone and everything. Where are these social and emotional resources supposed to come from if we have no family nor friends nor romantic partners?

Reactions: opheliaoveragain, binturong, wCvML2 and 7 others
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
Only I know what pain is going on in this brain and body .

I shouldn't have to get the approval of anyone else if I want to kill myself today.

I don't have to give anyone a reason why I want out of if this prison called life

I didn't ask to be in this hell

Why would it be the business of a stranger if I want to kill myself today or die later anyway. U do realize we all will die anyway.

Anybody that wants me to wait 6 months u do all my chores and the work chores to do list i have to do every day . Deal with all my problems and try to fix them .Boggles my mind others want to force people that don't want to be here to stay here and suffer and work for no reason

No one can convince me that there is a reason why i have to live another day or to do anything.

I shouldn't have to wait 6 months or any time at all

Life is meaningless suffering. And they want us to wait to get out of prison. This is slavery prison kidnapping.

We had the right to move away from pain immediately but they stole it by making Nembutal a crime by making someone helping u with suicide a crime etc. Why is a stranger or anyone my master telling me I can't leave now? No one is my master I should have the right to leave when I want and for any reason

Last edited:
Reactions: Fall_Apart, opheliaoveragain, princejohnny and 6 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Good thing I've been suicidal for years then.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I don't agree because I shouldn't have to prove to anybody that my issues are significant enough to warrant death. Also, the concept of recovery and treatment doesn't work for me because my issues are with life itself and how suffering is inherent with life and with how I am not meant to be a human. Though, with that said, I do think that at least having a system where we have to wait 6 months for euthanasia is better than the current system where euthanasia is a crime so I'll take your system over the current system. Ideally though, I believe that euthanasia should be immediately available to anybody who requests it unless if the individual themselves asks for a waiting period to be offered euthanasia

• Hugs
Reactions: Downdraft, pthnrdnojvsc, LifeQuitter and 1 other person
Andrew10

Andrew10

May 6, 2023
Great! I've been in line for 6 years now.

Reactions: Decided98, Rhizomorph1, binturong and 2 others
U

Unspoken7612

Student
Jul 14, 2024
I agree that suicide should be a settled, rational decision. When someone commits an impulsive suicide then that's a tragedy. I don't think there's a magic time frame that makes sense, but I do think euthanasia requests should have a "cooling off" period.

At present I don't think having a supportive person is realistic for most people. Laws make encouraging or supporting a suicide a criminal offence, varying slightly by jurisdiction. I don't want any of my loved ones to get into legal trouble from my suicide.

Reactions: mango-meridian and chester
C

chester

Student
Aug 1, 2024
With the exception of terminal or severe chronic pain cases where time is of the essence, ideally people should try to become emotionally stabilized and spend some considerable time both:

(a) deliberating the pros and cons of dying and their chosen method (in terms of pain, reliability, access).

(b) spend some serious time preparing psychospiritually. There's a lot of emotional and existential baggage that comes with dying and people ought not to die alone. Having at least one trusted person to help cope with dying is paramount to dying peacefully and if there's any chance a person might consider recovery, talking/disclosing with a trusted person (someone who validates the desire to die) empowers person-centered decision making.
I agree that suicide should be a settled, rational decision. When someone commits an impulsive suicide then that's a tragedy. I don't think there's a magic time frame that makes sense, but I do think euthanasia requests should have a "cooling off" period.

I agree with both opinions. I was literally seconds from dying when I attempted the exit bag method and now I'm glad I aborted. At the time I was angry at myself, but now I know that was purely impulsive and in hindsight it felt wrong. I'm not saying I no longer wish to be dead, but this decision is too important to rush it. As much as I hate being alive, I don't feel comfortable with killing myself either for the time being.

• Love
Reactions: Rhizomorph1
Reflection

Reflection

Lost
Sep 12, 2024
I agree, sometimes strong bursts of emotions can cloud one's judgement, suicide should only be taken as a last resort option since it's irreversible.

nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Dead already. Just need to dispose of my body now.
Aug 6, 2024
I agree in a sense, I think that ctb-ing should not be a spur of the moment thing.
To be honest, it's just like any other serious decision one may need to take in life. You need to give yourself time to think things through and not make an irrational, emotional decision.

sunsetting

sunsetting

Jun 9, 2021
Sure doing it rationally is the best choice but 6 months sounds arbitrary, each person should follow the time he or she feels that's enough to be at peace with the decision to ctb.l, be it 6 seconds or 6 years

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and Downdraft
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
It definitely makes sense to evaluate your options. I've been on this forum for 6 years and it hasn't changed much in terms of my suicidality. But I think suicide should be a last resort option, personally, as in, try out things that could improve your situation. You only die once and there is no coming back so exhausting possibilities makes sense to me. But then again, I didn't exhaust all options, because I know I don't respond well to a lot of the treatment so yeah... it's a personal decision in the end, like you and only you decide when it's enough. Nobody else can make that decision and that's why it's our philosophy in this forum.
These are also my thoughts on the matter. It makes sense to wait because the option of death is always there. I've been on this forum for nearly 3 years now, things have marginally improved, but only marginally. There's always the option and I've always said to myself that I want to try different things before CTB

• Hugs
Reactions: binturong and RainAndSadness
SoulWhisperer

SoulWhisperer

Careless Soul « MtF »
Nov 13, 2023
I don't think it's much of an unpopular opinion. It makes sense. Taking a decision on the spot, regardless of what decision it is, and rushing it just binds it to a high chance of messing up I believe. All you said does make sense and I agree, it's worth a shot to see if things are truly hopeless and beyond return point or if in reality they aren't. Then once you determine a result, that's just it.

Reactions: Fall_Apart
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I suspect the majority of people here have had ideation for a while... I made this poll a while back:

In terms of assisted suicide- I definitely think there should be a waiting period of 6 months. Just for it to be sustainable even- so it isn't blamed for killing people acting on impulse.

It's difficult to say on a personal level though. Surely, it's not just about the amount of time someone has been thinking about suicide for. Isn't it also about what they are or aren't doing to solve their problems? I guess that's what you're saying though- it's a thought process. Why do I feel like this? Can I change my situation so I don't feel like this? Do I want to put in all that effort? I suspect most people have asked themselves those questions. They're kind of basic.

As for finding someone to go through it with you, that's a big ask I think. I doubt many people have the willingess or strength for it. It's so risky too- revealing to people how we truly feel. It's a very real possibility it will make them feel frightened, unable to help and panic them into calling the authorities on us! Plus, many will want to try and push recovery on us I imagine- rather than accept our decision. Depends on who you have around you I suppose.

I wonder if any of us can truly prepare spiritually or mentally. We have no idea what comes next beyond personal beliefs. It probably depends on how strong your personal beliefs are. I truly don't know what to think so, I'm not sure I'll realistically ever be ready for death- any kind of death. I have a feeling it's just something I'm going to have to initiate and then, just try and go with the flow as best I can.

Downdraft

Downdraft

I've felt better ngl
Feb 6, 2024
You only die once and there is no coming back
Yeah that's a selling point for me, exactly why I wanted it lol.

Now the serious answer. OP, you can't tell anyone when he thinks it's acceptable to do it because you doesn't know what they're going through.

Realistically, whatever led them to the very bottom one can feel can be way worse than anything good they've experienced at that point or what they have to live yet. So it's not right to decide for them what's worth experiencing and what not.

Another thing is that for many it's a process. You don't wake up automatically wanting to die, you usually realize that after some time your feelings aren't right, unless something major happened.

All of that combined means it's very likely you just make people who will still want to die to suffer more, for nothing.

Impulsive attempts leave many signs and can still be detected: six months is an exaggerated amount of time, even more considering suicidality is something long-term for a lot of people who usually struggled for longer than that and only recently realized they can't take any more. To force someone to keep going at that point can destroy minds.

You are also treating all non-terminal problems as if they took the exact same time to recover from.

C

ctb2soble

Even the people who never frown eventually breakdo
Sep 29, 2024
I've been suicidal for 20+ years. I've had moments of contentment and even happiness, but I don't want to die necessarily because I'm miserable. I want to die because I truly do not feel like I belong here. From my very short time on this forum, I know this is an unpopular belief around here, but I don't believe death is the end. I think it's the gateway to a truly free existence that we cannot achieve on Earth.

I've had some paranormal stuff happen to me and others surrounding death that cannot be explained with a purely materialist worldview. And I truly believe that the pain, heartache, and disappointment we experience here is temporary and can only be escaped by shedding your physical body. I also want to die alone since I don't think the burden of physical death should be shared by others who most likely can't mentally or emotionally handle the aftermath of it. But that's just me.

Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sleep is good, death is better.
Sep 2, 2024
Under an assisted suicide program (or prescribed access to purchase barbiturates via the private market) provisioned by a Right to Die for All, I actually agree with that; a wait time in order to prevent impulsive use and ensure that a person's wish to no longer exist is truly consistent. In general, as it stands now, I'm not sure this is possible to enforce in any way since 99.999% of suicides are DIY and clandestine. On a personal level, these may be good suggestions and are simply common sense (especially doing the pros and cons, picking an appropriate method for your preferences). But I don't know how one could expect people to abide by this rule, when everyone's circumstances are different. Some people have a limited amount of time, or limited access to methods and simply make do with what they have. Hell, sometimes people want to get help but there's none available or it's too expensive. So as a rule/general guideline, it could be problematic for some individuals.

And in terms of wait time, I'd say that many people have been suicidal for 10x longer than the maximum time you've given here. I myself have wanted to die for a bit over 3/5 of my life, which is quite a long time. It's been a consistent desire across time, and it has only gotten stronger since I delved deep into philosophy and came out of it in opposition to life. I've also spent the past 2 years actively trying to exit via hanging. At this point, for me personally, I feel I've more than earned the right to drink my SN when the time comes. Though, I don't feel like I needed to live up to that standard anyways; I'm merely saying that, under other people's eyes, it is more than reasonable now. But even if I hadn't done all this, and I just became suicidal last week, depending on my circumstance, it may not be reasonable to expect me to stick around another 6mo to a year before making a decision. It's a tough call to make. But I certainly think that something like CTB must be done rationally and be well thought-out. Ensure it's right for you, and then do it right.

And to add to what RainAndSadness said:
"it's a personal decision in the end, like you and only you decide when it's enough. Nobody else can make that decision and that's why it's our philosophy in this forum."

This is also a good point to make. If you feel you cannot wait 6mo or a year before CTBing, then you shouldn't be urged and pleaded with to stick around or pushed and coerced to do it. Only you can know when it's your time and that you've put in enough effort and time. But for the sake of regulations and societal expectations, I certainly think the wait time would be a good idea for a Right to Die program; if one is unable to wait that long, there are always DIY means available.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018

What do you guys think? Are there people in this forum dying spontaneously/prematurely? It's an important philosophical question underpinning the principles of the right to die movement.

I think that is more than a fair compromise, having a waiting period of some time for a permanent decision (in which is irreversible) and allows time for someone to change their mind if they want to. Also, as for having emotional support for those who are going through their decision that is definitely a helpful thing to have.

However, I will say that sadly, in reality, this would not work only because our current modern society is hellbent on keeping all people alive at all costs. This includes even the ones who have been suffering for many years, possibly decades (and barring terminal illnesses), the State as well as one's own peers are conspiring and actively impinging on another's negative liberty rights regardless of circumstances. Personally, I've been wanting to die for a very long time, even before SaSu, so I more than qualify almost 10x the duration according the criteria mentioned in this thread. Therefore, in our current world, since we don't have this kind of right and also the unabating moral busybodies and such conspiring to keep us in life and many more ills of our disgusting pro-life world.

opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
The existence of this place itself incites planning and researching, and therefore, thought is given. Do I think that people should TRY their options? Sure. Do I think it matters what the hell someone else thinks about something that has nothing to do with them? Also yes.

T

ThisIsMe1357

Student
May 20, 2024
I really, truly agree with these waiting times. I am pretty sure I even said something similar in a few of my past posts.

And this should especially apply to mental health related problems and to anything sudden which may happen in someone's life that is not terminal. Otherwise it would be the case of an impulsive suicide with the person not even giving themselves a chance to see if they can get help or if their situation can improve over time. And this is also the reason why any successful and reasonable assisted suicide program should have a requirement stating that the applicant must ask to go forward with the plan multiple times with at least some time passing in between, unless it involves something extremely serious.

landslide2

landslide2

Arcanist
May 6, 2024
No one should die alone, but that fact is difficult for almost everyone here to change. The chances of finding a trusted person who validates the desire to die in our lives is almost always gonna be 0%. Many people lose friends, get shut out because they share their mental struggles and thoughts of ctb. Others have a hard time even getting therapy and a therapist is not gonna validate anyone's desire to die.

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
Absolutely. It's an incredibly personal thing that demands a lot of respect; from both the people considering it, and people who are potentially trying to support people considering it
It's unrealistic to expect people to have the "perfect" conditions or trusted people in their lives for death. Ideally your description is what hospice is supposed to be or look like, and that's certainly imperfect.

I suspect others feel the same way as me: I'm suicidal partially because I have no one I trust or love in my life, and no one who trusts or loves me. How am I supposed to find someone to support me in death? How am I supposed to build such a relationship out of nothing?

Many of us have lost everyone and everything. Where are these social and emotional resources supposed to come from if we have no family nor friends nor romantic partners?
This is why I vouch for expanded access to MAID and more person-centered communication for caregivers who are working with suicidal people.

Validating the desire and possible option of dying is a necessary precursor to building trust, accurately empathizing, and even considering potential options for living. Both choices must be respected equally and the current prohibition model just doesn't work; leading to alienation, ostracization and underground communities that fulfill that role but with higher risk (groupthink, cynicism, etc.)
I don't agree because I shouldn't have to prove to anybody that my issues are significant enough to warrant death. Also, the concept of recovery and treatment doesn't work for me because my issues are with life itself and how suffering is inherent with life and with how I am not meant to be a human. Though, with that said, I do think that at least having a system where we have to wait 6 months for euthanasia is better than the current system where euthanasia is a crime so I'll take your system over the current system. Ideally though, I believe that euthanasia should be immediately available to anybody who requests it unless if the individual themselves asks for a waiting period to be offered euthanasia
It's more a personal principle that I recommend, but it's not intended to be dogmatic nor prescriptive. Personal agency/choice is retained and I highly respect it nonetheless, despite the principle ❤️

I wouldn't expect anyone to have to prove anything as a bottom line. Only to consider if the principle would be personally beneficial or not them.
I suspect the majority of people here have had ideation for a while... I made this poll a while back:

In terms of assisted suicide- I definitely think there should be a waiting period of 6 months. Just for it to be sustainable even- so it isn't blamed for killing people acting on impulse.

It's difficult to say on a personal level though. Surely, it's not just about the amount of time someone has been thinking about suicide for. Isn't it also about what they are or aren't doing to solve their problems? I guess that's what you're saying though- it's a thought process. Why do I feel like this? Can I change my situation so I don't feel like this? Do I want to put in all that effort? I suspect most people have asked themselves those questions. They're kind of basic.

As for finding someone to go through it with you, that's a big ask I think. I doubt many people have the willingess or strength for it. It's so risky too- revealing to people how we truly feel. It's a very real possibility it will make them feel frightened, unable to help and panic them into calling the authorities on us! Plus, many will want to try and push recovery on us I imagine- rather than accept our decision. Depends on who you have around you I suppose.

I wonder if any of us can truly prepare spiritually or mentally. We have no idea what comes next beyond personal beliefs. It probably depends on how strong your personal beliefs are. I truly don't know what to think so, I'm not sure I'll realistically ever be ready for death- any kind of death. I have a feeling it's just something I'm going to have to initiate and then, just try and go with the flow as best I can.
That's a very insightful poll (I love honest data on the topic. It's so important to fight against censorship!)

It's interesting that the majority of people have been suicidal for 5-30 years. Still, the 10% of people who have been for a year or less are significant too.

I woould argue that the poll is biased since it reflects a convenience sample of people who have not followed through, and also who attend this site more regularly or comment more. The most obvious bias is that people who commit suicide very rapidly after ideation develops are impossible to represent, so conservatively, I'd guess there's another 10 or more % who would have fit within the year or less category. Exact numbers are speculator, though.

Absolutely, it is too risky for the majority of people to have a companion let alone disclose in some circumstances (according to a previous poll I did, about 1/3 have not disclosed to anyone, not even a friend or someone in the distant past). I'd be curious who has disclosed to friends vs family vs medical professionals vs. others as well.

I think this data all makes a strong case for expanded access to MAID and more person-centered/validating services for suicidal people. Currently the medical community draws a fine line between suicide and euthanasia, but I think it's a bit of a moot point. A massive proportion of suicidal people would benefit from MAID and another massive proportion would benefit from life-giving treatments that are only possible if people are given the option to consider MAID as a choice, as a prerequisite to disclosure.

We need to abandon the prohibition model, medically, culturally, and interpersonally. The Frontline enforcers of stigma and loneliness of suicide are not just doctors but landlords, family members, community members, and other regular people.

I rest my case lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller and TAW122
uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
Although I agree one should research methods so there is not collateral damage, the time I choose to ctb is for me and only me to decide. I don't need or want a waiting period.

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
I think that is more than a fair compromise, having a waiting period of some time for a permanent decision (in which is irreversible) and allows time for someone to change their mind if they want to. Also, as for having emotional support for those who are going through their decision that is definitely a helpful thing to have.

However, I will say that sadly, in reality, this would not work only because our current modern society is hellbent on keeping all people alive at all costs. This includes even the ones who have been suffering for many years, possibly decades (and barring terminal illnesses), the State as well as one's own peers are conspiring and actively impinging on another's negative liberty rights regardless of circumstances. Personally, I've been wanting to die for a very long time, even before SaSu, so I more than qualify almost 10x the duration according the criteria mentioned in this thread. Therefore, in our current world, since we don't have this kind of right and also the unabating moral busybodies and such conspiring to keep us in life and many more ills of our disgusting pro-life world.
The major complaints that keep getting raised seem to always point to the underlying thread of our current system (both medical policy-wise and social-normative/cultural) has not adjusted to our needs.

Which is precisely the purpose of this thread, is to get a bit political and hopefully spread some awareness, try to implement more change from the bottom-up.

We are entirely disenfranchised and many simply don't have the energy or resources (emotional or otherwise) to fight for representation; our cup is literally as empty as it can possibly get. But those of us who do have this capacity, I hope can influence some systemic change, so that hopefully one day we can have mode of these vulnerable discussions offline, face to face, with loved ones who accept our condition; accept our right to choose either way.

In some way we all exert influence somewhere. Maybe we happen to have a good or higher-energy day. On those days, I implore us to speak up with courage ❤️

I'm trying to do my best to reflect the values I've learned through living this awful affliction + from this site by speaking openly with my community of peers in psychology programs, my doctors, therapists, family & friends, etc. about this topic/issue. So maybe the next generation won't have to suffer the way we did.

"The facts are always friendly" - Carl Rogers.

Until we have more responsible, progressive choices for regulated dying, community in dying, etc., I fully support the mission of this site, even if it carries the subtle risks inherent to any underground community (lack of resources, groupthink, cynicism, prejudice, etc). It's the only option for many to receive support, especially in jurisdictions or in populations (e.g., disabilities that prevent mobility) where MAID is completely alien and impossible to access. The outright banning of the right to die will always be morally inferior due to the obvious ethical problems of forcing people to live in potentially hellish circumstances.

@RainAndSadness I understand you have a lot on your plate so I will always understand if it's not your priority at this time. But I will continue to encourage us or members of the admin team to collaborate with external parties to represent the politics, values, and often censored perspectives of the members on this site. I know there's a lot of backlash but I also feel it would be beneficial; it's worth fighting for. This site appears to be the only place representing a massive subset of suicidal people. That's worth its weight in gold and is tragic that there's such a rift between this site and the outside world.

Representational politics are empowering, and will be either life-giving or allow people like us to die in peace, community, and comfort rather than alone, injured, or in pain ❤️

Are MAID policy makers even consulting us in their policy making? Why not?

I'm curious what users in this thread think? I'm ready to write an open signed letter to policy makers reflecting our perspective any day.

Last edited: